Got yahoo free mail the hard way! Mods please place properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanrish

Reaction score
Got yahoo free mail the hard way! if IMAP setup didn't work!

I am one of the many who tried to all the other walkthroughs to get yahoo mail set up and none of them worked. I finally found one that works. It involves changing your settings to Yahoo Asia. You have to use both computer and Droid for this. Here goes step by step. Walking back through this so if some info is missing list it and I will edit this post. Here goes step by step.

1) login to Yahoo mail and go to your mailbox

2) go to options>mail options (top right of your mailbox)

3) go to account information (bottom of options on left and it will ask for your password)

4) go down to account settings and click on "Set language, site, and time zone"

5) go to the new setting tab under "preffered content" and select Yahoo! Asia click finished

6) go back to your mail option screen and now go to the "POP & Forwarding" selection. !!side note!! I think someone got hung up here this is the mail options screen referred to in step 2)

7) click on "Set up or edit POP & Forwarding"

8) now make sure "Web and POP access" is selected and click on the pop settings

That will show you what to enter into manual setup but I am going over it again anyway

9) grab your droid and go the the email manual setup

10) key in username and password

11) go to the POP3 selection

12) POP3 SERVER:pop.mail.yahoo.com
use port: 995
SECURITY TYPE: SSL
CLICK NEXT

13) NOW ON THIS SCREEN
SMTP SERVER: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
use port: 465
security type: SSL
Make sure require sign-in is checked
verify username and password
and click next.

14) set your frequency and notification settings

15) Name your Account and you are ready to go

Follow step by step and this will work if none of the other ways have worked for you. It looks like a lot, but only takes about 5-10 mins.

Anyone who this works for could thank me with a GOOGLE VOICE, and GOOGLE WAVE invites. My email is: [email protected] any invites will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
R

romanrish

Reaction score
If this worked for you please reply, so I know.

ldimick

Reaction score
I sincerely hope this works. And if it does Yahoo should be ashamed of themselves. There is no reason that you should have to go through these steps to make it work.

I hate yahoo. Their browser tool bars are a disaster and now this.

xjman349

Reaction score
I just tried this and it didnt work. Don't know what I missed but when I go to setting up the POP in my yahoo account it is no longer listed.

OP
R

romanrish

Reaction score
It is no longer listed unless you change your account to Yahoo Asia. Which affects absolutely nothing except it shows on your mail homescreen. Please let me know which step it is you got hung up on. I have never done a walkthrough before, but with how much I had to go through I felt obligated to.

eversonsc

Reaction score
I had a bunch of yahoo email addresses too. I just switched them with the same name to gmail addresses and then forwarded my email to the gmail accounts. It was super easy and didn't have to go through all that stuff. Just an idea.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess i'm confused as to why Asia? Though if this works for some people. I will submit it to the FAQ for all to read! Waiting on some replys right now

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of yahoo email addresses too. I just switched them with the same name to gmail addresses and then forwarded my email to the gmail accounts. It was super easy and didn't have to go through all that stuff. Just an idea.

This is the easiest way. You can also change your settings in GMAIL to allow responses from the mailbox recieved. So if you get one from

[email protected] and you use Gmail to reply. The recipient doesn't know it came from Gmail. It shows as if you responded from yahoo. Nice if you don't want the certain someone to have you Google information :icon_ banana:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have tried this a million different ways and finally got one that works.
I am truly grateful that you got this info. Needs to be cleaned up a little, but overall awesome.
Once I did change the setting to Yahoo Asia though it did act like my password was no longer valid though. I simply went through the steps to reset my password, and jumped back on track with the walk through.

Most useful thread I have found so far, but I don't have any Voice or Wave invites or I would give you one of each.:gotmyvote::gotmyvote::gotmyvote:

I have wave invites...i'll take care of getting him one

OP
R

romanrish

Reaction score
I tried all the imap walkthroughs, and none of them worked. I saw a reference to changing your Yahoo! to Yahoo Asia, but it didn't explain how to do it. That is why I created the walk through for this. I have seen all the other posts for IMAP, and how a lot of people still can't get it to work. That walkthrough is mentioned in numerous other threads too.

raven1911

Reaction score
I am confused on this as I have two yahoo accts that work fine. Why would they work for me and others and not you?

misaac

Reaction score
Not working for me... getting the same error as before. Username or password incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.