How to enable POP3 forwarding for a free yahoo Account so it works on your droid

Mojo

Reaction score
A lot of people have been complaining on not being able to get Yahoo Mail working on their Droid's. So here is a work around for you.

To enable the POP3 access for your free yahoo mail account, all you have to change is the preferred content, setting it to Asia.
Step 1
Select Options->Mail Options, then Account, followed by “Add or edit an account”.
add_or_edit_account2.jpg

Image 1: Don't be afraid to click the "Add or edit an account" link. It will take you to the old Yahoo Mail interface, but this change is only temporary.

Step 2
Select, the Accounts link on the left of the windows that opens. From the window that opens, select “Account Information” on the left. Then, set: Preferred Content: Yahoo Asia, by clicking on the Edit link, like in this screenshot:
yahoo_account_options.png

Step 3
Logout and login.

Then, you can enable POP access and change settings, by clicking, from the mail inbox:

Options -> Mail Options -> POP & Forwarding
yahoomail_pop_options.png

Step 4
You can choose one of these two options:

Use mail forwarding: Go to Yahoo Mail, in the select Options, Mail Options (from the upper right corner of the windows in the new Yahoo Mail interface). Then, go to the POP and Forwarding screen and activate forwarding, sending the mail to your GMail address.

Use POP3: GMail features automatic mail fetching using POP3. Go to Settings, Accounts in Gmail.
Then, from the zone called “Get mail from other accounts”, click on Add and enter the information provided in the following screenshot.

You can apply a label to incoming mail and the other settings are already set your your convenience in the GMail interface.
Using POP, your mail will be fetched hourly and this cannot be changed, so if you need fast response time, choose the forwarding solution.

The POP3 has the advantage that you can move your existing emails in GMail so that you can benefit from labels, better search and the opther features of GMail. The choice is yours.

You can also configure GMail so that you can send mails from GMail and appear that you are sending from your Yahoo address.
To do this, you should click the Settings button, then Accounts (in the GMail interface).
From the “Send mail as” zone, click “Add another email address you own” and follow the wizard. You will have to reply to an email sent to your yahoo address and that’s about it. You can switch from using Yahoo to Gmail completely using these tips. Enjoy!

Source: Yahoo Mail free POP access Picobit

*NOTE* If the above method does not work for you, and you have tried to do the manual set up in your email client with other directions found HERE
Then your only other option will be bite the bullet and purchase a Yahoo Plus account. We can only do so many work arounds
============================================
I Moved this thread to the FAQ section,
I will leave it open for comment.
Thank You
JimMariner

Last edited:
OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Updated thread with images, and better searchable title

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
there is another thread about this http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...mail-hard-way-mods-please-place-properly.html

i'm not sure if this is posted somewhere else and needs to be linked back or atleast given thier due! Where did you get this information

If you look at the other thread and my thread, my thread was started yesterday at 5:52 pm before the OP started their thread at 2:01am today. ;) Also I did link back to the origanal source that I got my information. As the OP did not. :icon_eek:

Last edited:

brianr0131

Reaction score
I tried this last month and it didn't work for me. Even after I switched to Yahoo Asia I did not have the option to enable Pop3.

I think it may have something to do with how old your Yahoo account is. Mine is about a year or so old.

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
I tried this last month and it didn't work for me. Even after I switched to Yahoo Asia I did not have the option to enable Pop3.

I think it may have something to do with how old your Yahoo account is. Mine is about a year or so old.

Did you make sure that you saved everything and logged out and back into your yahoo account? When I set mine up yesterday, I had a issue with Google telling me that I needed a Yahoo+ account. Then I went back into yahoo and saved it logged out and logged in and it worked fine.

brianr0131

Reaction score
Yep... Yahoo Asia top left under that it says:

General
Signature
Spam
Filters
Accounts
Vacation Response

It just skips right over Pop3 and Forwarding.

Oh well

OP
Mojo

Mojo

Reaction score
Oh wow... did not realize it was not even showing Pop3 and Forwarding. Hmmm... that is interesting. It must have something to do with the age of the account. I have had my Yahoo for 3 years... Damn the man! That is why I am about to just close out my Yahoo account for good. Gmail is so much better anyways in my opinion.

brianr0131

Reaction score
Oh wow... did not realize it was not even showing Pop3 and Forwarding. Hmmm... that is interesting. It must have something to do with the age of the account. I have had my Yahoo for 3 years... Damn the man! That is why I am about to just close out my Yahoo account for good. Gmail is so much better anyways in my opinion.

I still have the Yahoo but I set up a vacation response listing my Gmail. I will hold onto it and use it for crappy things that I don't want to be bothered with, and I'll check it about every couple weeks. No biggie. But yea, Yahoo sucks.

briankeith513

Reaction score

I have the exact same issue, but my yahoo account is over 5 years old.

Silver Member
Reaction score
A++ thread. This worked for me like a charm!