Got it! Initial impressions......

hoppyjr

Reaction score
Hello all,

My Droid Pro arrived today and I've got it up and running well. I have approx 95% of my applications reloaded and everything is working fine. I don't have time to post photos, but you already know what it looks like, so I'll share some thoughts below. I am coming from a Droid X, which I really like - but I need to decide if the Pro is a better device for me, if so the DX will get assigned to one of my team members. Here are some thoughts, in no particular order;

* The size is nice, feels similar to but better than the HTC Incredible. I don't care for the shiny, slippery, fingerprint-prone back cover. Let's hope Seidio gets an extended battery out quick, with a matte finish back cover.

* I am not a big fan of chrome, so the chrome border around the phone would have been better in black, IMHO. That said, it does have a real quality appearance and holding it gives one the impression of a quality device.

* The configurable key on the right side is nice - I use mine for opening the dialer.

* The keyboard is FANTASTIC!!! Reminds me of the best of my BB 9700 and the Motorola Q9, which was a crappy phone but had a great keyboard IMO.

* The area around the micro-USB port lights up when the keyboard is lit and also appears to light while charging. Only a slight glow, but a nice touch.

* I haven't tested the camera yet, so no comments there.

* The screen is nice, but seems pretty small, coming from a Droid X - but hey, what phone wouldn't!?! The screen response and clarity is very good.

* I'm using Launcher Pro Plus, with five items across and four rows high. This is about all that fits on this size screen. LPP is working well and I'm happy with that.

* The touch-sensitive buttons on the bottom of the screen are responsive and, while not as nice as the Droid X hardware buttons, work well.

* From what I can tell, the Pro does not appear to have the noise canceling microphone feature that the Droid X has.

* You can set shortcuts on the keyboard to open applications. I do not see an option to set Blackberry type speed dials on the keyboard, not yet at least.

That's all I've got for now, but I hope it helps. I think the Pro is a great device from first impressions, but I'm not sure I can divorce my Droid X yet :)

Hoppy

Last edited:

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey Hoppy, this phone doesn't have a pre-installed app that supports lotus notes does it? Thanks

OP
H

hoppyjr

Reaction score
Tell me what to look for and I'll see. I see messaging apps, but nothing that specifies Lotus Notes.......

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tell me what to look for and I'll see. I see messaging apps, but nothing that specifies Lotus Notes.......

Yeah it would probably in a seperate email app, thanks for looking though

OP
H

hoppyjr

Reaction score
updates....

Some updates;

* I initially liked Launcher Pro Plus on the Droid Pro, however; about an hour after the posting, LPP started acting funny and freezing up. I deleted LPP for now and am using the stock launcher.

* I put my AT&T pre-paid SIM card in the phone, then called VZW tech support to get the unlock code - which they provided with no questions asked. The bad news is that I cannot get the phone to recognize the AT&T signal, no matter what I do. I made sure to select the correct network in the network settings and I do see "ATT" at the top of the unlock screen and on the drop-down status bar, but no signal strength and no connection. Where the signal bars are, I just get a circle with a line through it.

I'll post more tomorrow night, after using it all day.

Hoppy

jimbo1mcm

Reaction score
Thanks for the post

Thanks for taking the time to post. Good or bad we want to hear it.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will be watching this thread. Wife is thinking about upgrading from a Tour. Interested on all of your thoughts!!

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey Hoppy, this phone doesn't have a pre-installed app that supports lotus notes does it? Thanks

That would be a great idea in general. GM uses Lotis notes. I know my dad did when he worked there.

Sounds like a solid phone. I will check it out later at verizon. Not that I have any intention of buying it, I just like to know what's out there. ;)
EDIT: I got back from Verizon and wow I like the Pro its a real solid phone I would definitely encourage any one who has a BB and wants android to get that phone. I like the keyboard even though I prefer an all touch screen phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
H

hoppyjr

Reaction score
OK, here's the latest.......

* When you are using in portrait mode, only the hardware keyboard is active. When you rotate to landscape, you get the virtual keyboard.

* I tried it out with enterprise mail and it works quite well. I also like the integration of accounts feature.

* It definitely does NOT have noise canceling capabilities, a la Droid X. While I really like the DX call quality (both directions) I use a Jawbone Icon most of the time, so it's not critical for me to have the noise canceling feature on the phone.

* It really, really feels good in the hand. Almost perfect size for me as I have large hands (it could be a bit larger for me, but then the pocket-ability is compromised)

* While the extended battery is not yet available, I can see where it will make little difference in size, with the one piece back remaining smooth comfortable to hold. In fact, while I was talking to a VZW rep, she advised that she attended employee training on this device yesterday - and the trainer told the class that the Pro has new battery saving technology with yields 20% better life than previous similar models (take that for what you will, but it seems possible). Since the screen is smaller than the DX and there is no noise canceling tech on board, I would think the battery life may be decent. Either way, I'm getting the extended when it comes out - can never have too much battery. If it works as described, it will be a monster with the extended.

In my unprofessional, day-and-a-half opinion, this is a decent device for the Blackberry user who is wants android functionality. Unless I have a major disaster, this one will be a keeper.

Hoppy

MdicnMan

Reaction score
OK, here's the latest.......

* When you are using in portrait mode, only the hardware keyboard is active. When you rotate to landscape, you get the virtual keyboard.

* I tried it out with enterprise mail and it works quite well. I also like the integration of accounts feature.

Hoppy

I assume you mean Exchange when you say the enterprise mail.. I will be curious to see if the sync works for the deleted and sent mails. Also anxious to hear if they added a delete all or empty trash.

Thanks for keeping up updated! dancedroid

amberleemarie

Reaction score
I will be watching this thread. Wife is thinking about upgrading from a Tour. Interested on all of your thoughts!!

I had the first droid and although I loved the software I couldnt stand the keyboard so I switched back to my bold. I got my pro in the mail today and im in love. Blackberry style keyboard but a droid!

mtavenger55

Reaction score
That's good to here that you like the keyboard. Keyboard's are important to me when it comes to phones. I currently use a Blackberry Curve 8330 & am very fond of that keyboard & I'm hoping the Pro's will be simular if not better.

Sebastian

Reaction score

I had the first droid and although I loved the software I couldnt stand the keyboard so I switched back to my bold. I got my pro in the mail today and im in love. Blackberry style keyboard but a droid!

I dunno if I'm in love just yet. The keyboard is really stiff. I hope that it softens up.