Any Blackberry users switch to the Droid Pro?

daterps

Reaction score
Right now I am torn between this and the Blackberry Bold 9650

If my corporate e-mail remains inconsistent then I will be back with my 9650. Disappointing but I need a phone I can trust

What problems are people having with Exchange integration with the Droid Pro?

I just started a new job and my new company supports iPhone and Android, but not BlackBerry (ugggh). I really like BB Storm2 and now have to give it up. I'm not leaving Verizon given the quality of service they offer, so that leaves me with only a few options.

Having a world phone is desirable, but not necessarily a requirement. My phone isn't my primary entertainment device, so if I can load a few songs, watch some videos on an ample good res screen, browse the web quickly and take a few pics here and there - that is fine. But, since this phone is critical for my business I want to make sure my phone and email (and less importantly) IM experience is top notch.

I would really look forward to getting a much better mobile Gmail experience, too...the Gmail app for BB is plain horrible (no HTML emails! C'mon - it is 2011).

Lastly, if I can ditch my Verizon MiFi and just use the Hotspot feature on the Pro that would be great.

I'm seeing conflicting reviews of the Pro's integration with Exchange...
Does it handle email, contacts and calendar syncing well or no?
If you're having issues - what specifically are they? Are they intermittent? all the time?

I realize BB delivers an almost flawless email experience, but even if you are having issues with Droid Pro are they manageable?

It is nice that my BB gets email before my PC running Outlook, but that is not a requirement...just need stuff in a timely fashion.

Please chime in. Thanks.

Last edited:

thedose

Reaction score
Looks like I will be switching back to my BB. It was fun while it lasted, but hopefully the android OS will become more solid.

daterps

Reaction score
Looks like I will be switching back to my BB. It was fun while it lasted, but hopefully the android OS will become more solid.

why?
details please

I have no choice - I have to wait for iPhone on VZW or get a Droid asap

Ride

Reaction score
My corporate sync has worked very well for email, contacts and calendar. To the earlier post, it does not appear before outlook, like BB, but to me, who cares? I get a hundred or so emails a day and responding instantly is not possible, so whether it takes 1 min or 2 is academic. Critical stuff is a txt or call, for me at least.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

DroidToro

Reaction score
What problems are people having with Exchange integration with the Droid Pro?

I just started a new job and my new company supports iPhone and Android, but not BlackBerry (ugggh). I really like BB Storm

Please chime in. Thanks.

There is at least one software out there that allows BB to use activesync just like droid. I can't remember the name. You might be able to use your BB without a BIS or BES server.

As for me, I moved from BB and will never go back. I got the nitrodesk touchdown software and it is a much better exchange client than the droid mail client. Using this software, and a few Exchange server side rules, I was able to keep 95% of the features I had on my BB. In return for that 5% sacrifice, I got a lot more in return. Outside of email, I think droid totally blows away BB.

gambit07

Reaction score
I use Blackberry 9000 for more than 2 years now. I would like to share my 3 days of impression in comparison to Droid Pro:

Business-wise:
Battery Life:
Subjective: Seems like Droid Pro runs twice as less as my Blackberry 9000 (with new battery)
1. Exchange support: DP-1.BB+1
Droid Pro: Limited to contacts, calendar and email. Blackberry: Same but includes tasks and notes.
2. Exchange push: DP-1.BB+1
Emails do not load instantly on Droid Pro as they do on Blackberry (Push seems to lag few minutes).
3. Contact pictures: DP-1.BB+1
Your contact pictures stored in Outlook or Exchange server do not get synchronized with Droid Pro. On BB everything syncs correctly.
4. Contacts Groups: DP+1.BB-1
Your contact folders and groups can be hidden from viewing to speed up search, excellent feature of Droid Pro. BB shows all contacts.
5. Emails: DP-1.BB+1
Droid Pro does not have an option to automatically load pictures, does not allow zooming in, zooming out of email texts and graphics, copy text, save pictures etc. Build in email client is more than email viewer than email client. You get much better general email support in BB.

Entertainment:
1. Browser: DP+1.BB-1
Browser is totally awesome in Droid Pro, mainly thanks to support of Flash of course, but even without it seems even faster than one in iPhone, Blackberry native browser is nowhere even close, even on OS 6.0.
2. Skype: DP+1.BB-1
You have an option to install nice version of Skype for Android on DP (not preinstalled Skype Mobile you get in DP and BB).
3. Widgets: DP+1.BB-1
Absolutely cool feature of putting a lot of customizable features on home screens including, email preview, calendar agenda, clocks, shortcuts, applications links in the order you want. On a BB you have to work out with Themes and your options are far more limited.
4. Applications: DP+1.BB-1
App store apparently has much more free and fun stuff than the one for blackberry.
5. Games: DP+1.BB-1
Graphics of DP is awesome and close to what you get on iPhone and iPad. You get free ANGRY BIRDS too!!

So far it seems to me that I am returning Droid Pro to the shop and getting Verizon Blackberry 9650 instead of my AT&T 9000.

You may want to try K-9 Mail

running33

Reaction score
I had a Blackberry Curve for almost 3 years. I tried the Droid X and hated the full touch screen. It seemed really hard to type with. I was used to the qwerty keyboard of the Curve. I now have a Droid Pro. I think it is the best of both worlds. The only thing I don't like is, my pop email will not push. I have to manually refresh it to receive my email. The gmail works perfect. I love how the calendar sync instantly.

bjwheeler

Reaction score
The email push bug is the biggest problem with these phones. Otherwise this is the best phone on the market (if you care to have a keyboard, which I do). The apps are great and the screen is amazing. Plus, the processor is really fast.

brocbsdroid

Reaction score
I've used an 8330 and 8530 for a little over two years. I got tired of waiting for BB to offer something fresh. The PRO looked like a good alternative. Battery life is an issue. My solution is to plug into wall or car charger when available. No problem so far. I've only had the PRO a couple of weeks and it will take me a while to get used to it, but I think I'll like it as well as or better than the BB. I do miss BBM though.

bjwheeler

Reaction score
I recommend buying the extended battery to get about 25 percent more battery life. Plus, that will allow you to have a fully charged back up battery available at all times.

jhumbo

Reaction score
I have the extended battery now and it feels like it has doubled my battery life. I am more than pleased with my phone now as battery life was my biggest issue before.

bjwheeler

Reaction score
Buying the extended battery is totally worth it. Also, make sure to switch your network settings from global to cdma only. That will help conserve battery life.

uncle tattoo

Reaction score
just came over from a blackberry myself. i went thru 3 world editions, and 4 tour's before i had enough and did the upgrade.