Any Blackberry users switch to the Droid Pro?

thedose

Reaction score
Went from an iPhone 3G to a Tour 9630 (when it came out back in aug 09) to the Droid Pro.

I must say it is like the blackberry + iPhone became one, I LOVE the touchscreen + the bb style keyboard.

I'm managing to keep my original battery going for a while but I am thinking about getting the extended life one.

The only cons I can see from the blackberry to the droid is that the blackberry is king of email (THAT IS ALL, as sad as that sounds)

The pro beats the blackberry hands down in everything else (stocks apps, google maps, browser, camera, even the speakerphone/call quality is better)

FMINUS

Reaction score
I came from a vzw bold. Email and keyboard def better on the bb. But the dp is def a faster phone and i am glad i made the switch

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

FMINUS

Reaction score
Also got the dock, again, not as good as the bb version. The bb one u just drop it in without having to connect it. The dp one you have to kind of line it up

SquintyOS

Reaction score
I was on a BB for 6 years. Battery drain is a problem. I am looking into extended battery and dock.

There isn't a Droid out there that has great battery life. Extended battery? I don't know. I think the smart thing to do is get an extra battery. I don't know about the Pro but they were really cheap for the D1/D2 on Amazon.

I also got a plug in wall charger. So if my battery does go on me I've got a back up. Wall charger for a Pro, I don't know but take a look on eBay. They are like 5.00. If you can find one.

I switched from the Curve (former owner of multiple BB's, Q9, XV6700, etc.,) and I love it.

As far as battery life. . .here's the thing. . . I play with this thing a lot more than I did any blackberry I've owned, just more stuff to do IMO, and this is reflected in battery life. My BB just sat on my hip and got looked at when it buzzed for corp mail and then periodically for gmail.

I see them as two different tools, BB purely corp functional (for me) while the DP is a corp tool / entertainment-mini PC.

I own the extended Battery, but haven't used it yet, been getting by with the standard one, but will switch once I hit the road next week. Overall, much prefer my Droid over my BB.
Having an extra battery charged and ready to go is the key. These phones suck up battery life and really there isn't too much you can do about it. Glad to hear you're enjoying your Droid Pro.

I don't know Hook but coming from the original DROID I had bought me a second battery and a charger to last me those long lectures where I'd use my phone for notes, recordings or use facebook to check on my girlfriend. Having that and switching to the Pro, I am ready to tackle that obstacle.

Yes. It all depends on how a person uses their phone. I tend to use mine just more than a phone and coming from two blackberries when I was younger, I use the thing a LOT more than I used them berries. To get the general point across, I'd bring an extra battery and a spare battery charger just incase while out and about.

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
My background: bb7920>bb8830>Storm>Storm2>Droid Pro

Keyboard on the bb is better than anything out there, but the DP is above average. As noted above, there is nothing better than bes for email. That said, I would not give up my DP for anything and I've only had it for 12 days. It is truly customizable. The apps are so amazingly useful and varied. Integration with google products is really nice. I am happy to put up with Goodlink Enterprise Email (bes is a far superior product to ges) in order to get everything else. My advice - switch NOW!

Last edited:

bwhite757

Reaction score
Blackberry!? I'm not a BES user but did used to have a couple of Blackberries. Granted I did not have a physical keyboard with my blackberries, other than the Pearl, but I must say after using nothing but on screen keyboards for the last couple of years I can honestly say I forgot what I was missing. I really can't tell much difference between my wifes Tour and the DPro as far as the keyboard goes. Mine's a little stiffer, but I actually prefer it like that.

As far as email goes, I switched my company email over to Google business when I got my Droid1 and have been happy with it ever since. My emails are pretty much instant on my device and my calendar syncs with Outlook without problems.

I set my personal email to forward everything to my Gmail account and that pushes quite fast also.

I got used to carrying a spare battery with the Storm so the battery issues aren't really a problem for me. At least with the Droid my phone is only out of commission for about a minute while I swap out batteries, unlike any Blackberry that takes 5 minutes or more to boot up.

There is always going to be a learning curve whenever you change things. Blackberry to Android is a big change, but once I got used to the Android OS, there's no way I'd go back. To each their own though. People like what they are comfortable with, and some just won't give Android a chance.

Android still leans more to the personal and not the business user. DPro is a good mix, but in my opinion it's still more of a personal device rather than a business device. It does what I need it to do and more though, so for me I'll stick with Android for now until something better comes along....

Oh yeah and can I mention how I used to HATE battery pulls with the Blackberry... Basically a non existent issue with the Droid.

mtavenger55

Reaction score
I switched from the Blackberry Curve 8330 to the Droid Pro & definitely recommend the Pro. I was not a big fan of Blackberry's OS & wanted an Android phone but I don't like slide out keyboards (like the Droid 2) & didn't want an all touch screen phone (Droid X or Incredible) so when they announced the Pro I wanted it immediately. I liked my Curve, but it was slow & again I didn't like the OS. I've only had my Pro for 4 days & love it. I think the camera takes decent quality pics & I've only filmed one video but it came out decent. I really enjoy the keyboard & the web browsing is excellent compared to the BB. There are a few small issues with it freezing when I play a certain game or am in an area with no service but apart from that it's lived up to the expectation & I definitely recommend it to a Blackberry user looking to switch or who is tired of the same old Blackberry thing. Sure the battery isn't the best but I always have a charger handy even when I was using my BB so I'm not complaining. I'm very pleased with my Pro & don't miss the Blackberry at all lol.

flash24

Reaction score
Things that I hate about my Blackberry:

*Longer restart when you do a battery pull.
*Browser still sucks even with OS6
*Screen resolution needs to get better.
*RIM needs to improve their OS plain and simple.
*Not many apps in the app world

Things I love about my Blackberry:

*Keyboard
*Ease of use
*Dedicated Call and hang up button
*Battery life

With my Droid Pro, the keyboard really satisfies me, along with a nice big screen, great marketplace, and user friendly interface. Am I happy with the switch? Yes, totally. Best decision I have ever made.

cjw1208

Reaction score
upgraded our 2 8330 curves 48 hours ago: I got the Pro. Wife got the Bold 9650

Moving to the Pro is overwhelming. Do not panic. Preloaded Apps that get on your nerves move out the way or trash quickly. The keyboard is smaller and a little different setup but I am well on my way to being proficient with it. Email viewing, alerts, and deleting was a let down at first but i am okay with it. The Pro is super fast. Camera is good. Call quality is not as good as Curve but not bad. I have not put it down much since i got it. Battery life does go faster than BB. More power means quicker battery use. Use the task manager or kill app frequently and it does help.

On the other hand my wife's new bold is just another BB. She did not miss a beat. Everything transfered right over. She was excited for the 30 minute ride home and now it sits on the counter just like the old one. It really is just a new curve. nothing special. I think she is wishing she got a droid.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

golfdr

Reaction score
BB to Droid Pro

BB user from the thumb wheel days and never made the jump to the Storm2 because I am a "thumber" and like being able to use just one hand if necessary. I send and respond to many emails every day and I have found the transition to the Droid Pro far easier than I expected. The keyboard is acceptable, the combo touch screen is a nice new experience and the robust OS is an awesome leap from BB.Just Do it!

google123

Reaction score
I started out on a Pearl 8130, moved to a Curve 8330, followed by a Tour 9630, which I replaced with my Droid Pro. The keyboard is actually easier for me to use now that i have got used to it. I didn't think I'd like the numbers up to but its actually easier to use this way as my thumbs are spaced out rather than cramped like they were when entering a few numbers like they were on my Tour. Until BB releases a touchscreen version of the original Bold frame with a fast modern OS, I will not be going back to blackberry. I'm loving the Droid Pro. :)

iRockXaBerry

Reaction score
BB Pearl 8130>BB Curve 8330>Storm 1>BB Curve 8530>BB Curve 3G 9330 (OS6)>DROID PRO!

I have always been a Blackberry lover but Ive waited too long for something FRESH.... I got the Curve 3G in hopes that OS6 would draw me [back] in but VZW has yet to release an official version & quite frankly Im tired of waiting lol.... I got the Droid X a few months ago & once I went ANDROID there was no looking back! The Droid X is my personal device and the Droid Pro has replaced my work/business Blackberry.... the keys are taking some getting used to but thats the one & only complaint I have, nothing I wont get used to :heart:

h2odog

Reaction score
Switched from BB to Droid Pro

I switched from the BB Pearl which I really liked to the Moto Droid Pro which I love. The call quality is excellent and the voice search and navigation features are very useful. I am having a blast using many of the apps included and the ones I downloaded. Also the browsing experience using the android OS is much superior to BB's

Last edited: