My Droid Pro arrived... first impressions

J

JohnDroid

Droid Pro just arrived...

First impressions. This phone feels nearly identical to my old BB Curve. The Droid Pro of course has touch screen capabilities but the keyboard is nearly identical... so it's quite fast. The screen is of course "longer" on the Droid Pro as well. The phone is speedy. The phone feels quite light but well put together... a bit plasticky but not bad.

Will give more impressions after I have a chance to use it some more.

OP
J

JohnDroid

After some further testing I've decided the screen needs to be a bit larger. Without zooming in most of the fonts on the websites I visit aren't large enough... even the D2 has a better resolution then this.

Also, Angry Birds won't run on it. It dumps back to "desktop" after loading screen with no errors whatsoever. I can only assume it's a resolution issue.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Does this phone have an accelerometer? I opened a web page and turned the phone sideways and I get nothing, but if I pull my phone out of my pocket, sometimes the phone is in landscape mode. I'm totally confused.

OP
J

JohnDroid

Does this phone have an accelerometer? I opened a web page and turned the phone sideways and I get nothing, but if I pull my phone out of my pocket, sometimes the phone is in landscape mode. I'm totally confused.

It seems to switch to landscape mode just fine for me, just like my other phones.

I did notice an issue just now, it seems the light sensor is kind of wonky. Sometimes it dims the screen too much to really be legible in 'moderate' light situations.

Sebastian

Reaction score

It seems to switch to landscape mode just fine for me, just like my other phones.

I did notice an issue just now, it seems the light sensor is kind of wonky. Sometimes it dims the screen too much to really be legible in 'moderate' light situations.

Is it possible that I turned it off? Is there something in the menu that I can change?

mtavenger55

Reaction score
I'll also be switching from the Curve to the Pro. My Curve is the old 8330. So Angry Birds won't work? I was looking forward to playing that. Hopefully they fix the problem soon.

Worm8199

Reaction score

Is it possible that I turned it off? Is there something in the menu that I can change?

Under Settings>Display Settings>Auto Rotate Screen should be checked.

Sebastian

Reaction score

RadYOacTiVe

Reaction score
Posted this on another message board last night:
Set it up last night and so far I really like the form factor. A few minor issues.

1. The keyboard is a bit cramped and stiff but I find myself typing much faster than I do with a touchscreen.

2. The screen resolution could be better but it's only because I'm coming from an Incredible. For everything I do, the screen will do just fine.

3. Only made a couple of calls today and my wife said I sounded fine. I saw a post where someone wasnt getting very good call quality.

4. The unlock button on the top is also a bit stiff or it just sits ever too low and is hard to find and push.

5. Using Launcher Pro and I have not had any lag.

6. As in most Motorola Droid phones, the battery life percentage is only show in increments of 10. The Incredible will show increments of 1.

7. The keyboard backlight is uneven.

8. Battery life is ok. Better than the incredible but was hoping for better than what i'm seeing so far.

9. No flashlight app. I am having to use switchpro to turn on the LED.

10. The default browser does not show the web address, just the page title, anyone know how to fix this?

For now it's a keeper until the next phone comes out, maybe the Incredible HD. None of the issues above are deal breakers by any means. If you are looking for an android phone with a hardware keyboard, this has to be at the top of list.

kilofox

Reaction score
Reaction score
I think so, becasue I was looking at one at Verizon today and it didnt rotate either.

The Verizon stores have them on display already? Are they live models or dummy models?

The display model I saw/demo'ed was a full working model.

Wow, I thought they couldn't put working models on display until the day the phone is released. I am going to call my Verizon store to see if they have some live models there.

spydergirl

Reaction score
My local stores don't have them here in my area of PA. My friend who sells for Verizon said they aren't getting them into the stores until launch date. I'd LOVE to go play with one before mine arrives!!

DropC

Reaction score
On the demo I used, Angry Birds ran perfectly.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App