Gorilla Glass My ...

Icculus760

Reaction score
I just have to vent right now....

I've had the OGD since its release and it (and the dev community) has treated me so well. Today, I picked up my glass of water with the same hand I was holding my phone and somehow the glass cup handle broke the screen on my droid. Giant crack from the right top portion of the headphone/earphone piece through like 4/5ths of the screen down towards the back key.

(yes. i'm an idiot for picking up my glass w/ the same hand as the one i had my phone in, i understand) but still...what happened to "unbreakable Gorilla Glass"? Unbreakable my ----broken phone!

So now I get to look at a broken screen (phone still works fine which is good) for I don't know how many months until Verizon releases its version of the SGS2. Like I wasn't jonesing for that phone to be release soon so I could use my upgrade...now I REALLY am jonesing for it. (and no, 3g version w/ AT&T band clearing FCC isn't doing it for me right now...4G & Verizon please!)

/vent

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Where did you hear that Gorilla Glass is unbreakable? According to their product description, its not unbreakable..."Gorilla Glass features exceptional damage resistance to the scratches, drops, and bumps of everyday use."

Sorry you broke your phone, but dont blame the manufacturer for your mistake. Sounds like you applied pressure and something had to give...thicker drinking glass or thinner glass screen of a mobile phone...hmmmm...

Jizzylax

Reaction score
Unlucky... though gorilla glass was never advertised as being unbreakable.

OP
I

Icculus760

Reaction score
I don't think anyone ever said that it is unbreakable.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I just said that
:stupid: <-- that should read "I am stupid" :icon_evil:

Alright - so it's not unbreakable...I just thought it was & after all the scratch tests and years of owning the device & dropping it (with & without cases) I guess I just thought it would take a little more pressure to break it than I did.

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm sorry. :eek:(

Unfortunately, it just takes that one time for something to happen... I assume you don't have insurance then, huh?

OP
I

Icculus760

Reaction score
I'm sorry. :eek:(

Unfortunately, it just takes that one time for something to happen... I assume you don't have insurance then, huh?

no, i didn't take out insurance. thankfully the crack is only noticeable with the screen off...when the phone is on & I'm using it, it really doesn't affect the display. just sux having a broken looking phone

CD95YJ

Reaction score
The worst part of it all is that it was just a stupid mistake, especially when you look back and say I knew better.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Lte galaxys2........LOL hillarious...good one......

Have you seen how thin the s2 is? And you're waiting for a lte version....there is already one, its called the charge...that's as close as you're gonna get.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how - and why, especially why - someone picks up a glass with the same hand they're holding their phone in.

OP
I

Icculus760

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how - and why, especially why - someone picks up a glass with the same hand they're holding their phone in.

Forget how I did it (since I can't succinctly recreate it in words) - the why is really easy dude. Like I said in my OP, I'm an idiot. Already freely admitted that's what caused the screen to crack. My stupidity. I get it. Really, I do. Pretty sure I also had another post in this thread admitting the same thing.

In fact, whenever I edit a post I always use the same reason...so I edited this post just so you could see :)
I feel for you.

Thanks man. Your handle made me think you'd be hating on me before I ready your post, but I appreciate your sympathy!

googlelover

Reaction score
I feel bad, my screen was like indestructible, I got mad and threw it at the ground all the time, never even a scratch. Screen was perfect until I decided to drop it from barely a fingers space onto the cement ground to prove to a friend it never broke. Crack in the bottom left corner now, screen gets weak when you dont need it to.