Gorgeous 4K Video Shot From a Samsung Galaxy Note 4

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

One of the defining characteristics of the new internal hardware found in the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is that it is easily capable of filming 4K resolution video. The 16-megapixel rear-facing camera with optical image stabilization (OIS) and 8x digital zoom really shows off its skills in the above video.

To get full value out of watching the above video, be sure to switch the video mode to the highest setting, which is 2160p 4K, and then set it to full screen. While the subject matter may seem droll, the video quality is utterly stunning! This is especially true when you stop to register that this is a camera on a phone!

October 17th is the big day the Galaxy Note 4 will hit North American shores. Sound off if this is a phone on your short-list.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty good money from a phone. The complaints on the YouTube page are hilarious.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My LG G3 does 4K too and it looks just as good. Youtube does compress the video so it probably looked better...no, it DID look better before uploading to Youtube but still, its nothing new or amazing.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No doubt this video is striking. I am impressed, but I'm just not a big fan of the Samsung GUI and fluff. I also am not a big fan of their battery life (as given by my own experience), though I've not owned a Note so I can't speak to that specific model however the S4 stunk for me.

The new Droid Turbo will have a 19MP camera (also 4K capable), and also the new Nexus is rumoured to have a 13MP camera (which on specs alone should easily handle 4K), both from Motorola. I'm holding out hope for the Motorola device. Can't beat build quality and radio performances. Also can't beat the near Vanilla Android experience and the added benefits of the very intuitive and quite revolutionary new features such as active display.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No doubt this video is striking. I am impressed, but I'm just not a big fan of the Samsung GUI and fluff. I also am not a big fan of their battery life (as given by my own experience), though I've not owned a Note so I can't speak to that specific model however the S4 stunk for me.

The new Droid Turbo will have a 19MP camera (also 4K capable), and also the new Nexus is rumoured to have a 13MP camera (which on specs alone should easily handle 4K), both from Motorola. I'm holding out hope for the Motorola device. Can't beat build quality and radio performances. Also can't beat the near Vanilla Android experience and the added benefits of the very intuitive and quite revolutionary new features such as active display.
I may give moto another shot after the note 4, but I grew tired of them & got a soft spot for Samsung with the galaxy nexus, despite some issues.

They're looking better than they ever did, but I go back & forth with the custom skins that oems add. Do I use even half of the features of touch wiz? No. But do I absolutely love the ones I do? Yes. Moto blur (when it had that name) was a lot more buggy, though I really like the Facebook widget it had.

Of course, a lot of time has passed & who knows what'll grab my attention when the new wears off the note 4, but I'm very eagerly awaiting is arrival.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Gremlin

Reaction score
My LG G3 does 4K too and it looks just as good. Youtube does compress the video so it probably looked better...no, it DID look better before uploading to Youtube but still, its nothing new or amazing.

When I watched the video on a LG G3 you tube, if you go into quality don;t see 4 k any more does it show for you?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
When I watched the video on a LG G3 you tube, if you go into quality don;t see 4 k any more does it show for you?

I originally watched it on my computer but after going to it on my phone I too only get 720p resolution as the max. Very odd.

I wonder if this is Google's way of telling us that 720p is high enough for mobiles. Its stupid, but at the same time...I saw just as much detail in the video as I did on my computer even at 720p.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Which is why a 4K phone is overkill at the moment. Unless you have a 4K phone or tv to view it on.

tap'n on my S5

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
To stream 4k video you need close to 1gbit connection as 1 minute of video takes up 1gbyte of space uncompressed. Who has that kind of speed in USA? Only select few.

swc2001

Reaction score
on such a small screen does that make a big difference?
and if they go further in the future say to 16k.... would that make any difference?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
And how many here have 4k tvs to take advantage of this technology?
I have a 4K Smart TV. 4K flicks from Netflix & YouTube are awesome. If the GN4 comes close it will be one hot selling device.