Google's New Tool Helps You Pick The Perfect Android SmartPhone

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I am pretty much the go to guy when it comes to helping my friends decide which Android phone to buy whether they are coming from an Iphone, or are just too overwhelmed with all the choices. There are hundreds of smartphones to chose from and tens of flagships. Choosing just one can be quite the daunting task. When friends ask me which phone they should get I often ask them, "Well what is most important to you?". If they tell me they love music and have to have great speakers I tell them to grab an HTC One M9. If they tell me they love to take pictures I let them know the S6 is the phone for them. Of course some one who loves to mod should always go with a Nexus.

Google has just released a tool which will help you to find the perfect phone for you. It actually works very well. They ask you a series of questions asking you what is important to you. Once you tell them one of the features is important they will ask you how often you use it then ask you to select another feature. Once you have selected three important features and given the level of importance they will have recommendations ready for you. It picked out the LG G4, Motorola Droid Turbo, and the Nexus 6 for me. If it would have picked out the Galaxy S6 instead of the Droid Turbo I would have said it is psychic! Head to the link below to give it a try.

via Android.com

boidsonly

Reaction score
Ummm, what else do I want Google to know about me? These "let Google help you" attempts at data collection are getting out of hand...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ummm, what else do I want Google to know about me? These "let Google help you" attempts at data collection are getting out of hand...
If you don't log in & use a public computer, they can't be sure it's really you.

If course, you cos always come here for the same advice & get to ask questions of peeps who use each device daily. ;)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I answered honestly and it didn't pick any phone I would buy. It's like the magic eight ball of smart phone choices. Shake once: Nexus / G4 / S6. Shake twice: S6. / Note4. / Nexus

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I answered honestly and it suggested teh LG G4, Nexus 6 or Galaxy Note 4 for me. Those are the phones I would choose, and did with my Nexus 6.

Reactions: cr6

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
It gave me the G4, Turbo, and M9. I selected photos, texting, and social media. G4 is the only one I would actually consider. I'll have to give this a try the next time someone comes up to me at work and has no idea what phone to get. I pretty much ask the same questions this asks, but it would be interesting to see what it suggests with different scenarios

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
I think an app that monitors your type of usage over a period of time would do a better job of recommending a phone. Don't you think?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think an app that monitors your type of usage over a period of time would do a better job of recommending a phone. Don't you think?
That probably would be better, but I've already seen people complaining about Google collecting data on them. Also, I'd think this is geared a little more toward people who either don't already have a smartphone at all, or don't have an android phone, so I'm not sure how they'd run the app.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Personally, I'm pretty good at picking out my own phones, but I do get people asking me which phone they should get just as often as they ask me about computers. The first thing I always tell them in either case is, "It depends on what you plan to do with it. What do you want to do with it?"

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So no matter how I answer or what I select, this site will not display the Droid Turbo as a choice for me. Always Samsung and Nexus. Bummer, I was really planning on buying it as my next phone. But if Google says it's not a good choice for me, I guess I will not get a Turbo. :eek: :(

I can see how this would be a useful tool for people that need a little help selecting a new phone, and could be helpful for store reps.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
They should include a small exam, and if you score under 60% then it recommends that you buy an iPhone. :D

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
As I tell everyone looking for a new device....take the time and really spend some one on one time in the store with whatever devices you are considering. There are SO many options & varieties of smartphones, letting a computer choose for you without checking them out in person is simply foolish IMO.
As I mentioned earlier, it's a great tool for those who don't know much to begin with. But for enthusiasts, (like most of us on the forums) who spend hours each day reading up on each new device months before its release, not so much.
But that's just me....

S5 tap'n

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Eh. It lead me to the same phones I'd consider anyway. S6 or G4. Ultimately I'll stick with my iPhone 6 Plus as my daily driver. Whoops. Did I say that outloud? Disregard that last comment. :D