Googles CEO Eric Scmidt balks at requiring devices run Stock Android.

How should manufacture's handle Android implementation

• Manufacture UI with option to turn off?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stock Android

• I don't care. I'll take whatever they give me.

• Doesn't matter. I'm going to root the beast anyway!!

• Total voters

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;VbRg9VBkrII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbRg9VBkrII"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbRg9VBkrII[/video]

For all those hardcore Android users out there who dislike the manufactures practice of forcing their UI on you we have some bad news.

Googles CEO Eric Scmidt says “if we were to put those type of restrictions on an open source product, we’d be violating the principle of open source.”

Many of the complaints come from users that are unhappy that these UI's simply can't be turned off. The only option is for them to root and many do not want to go that route (no pun intended)

This subject is always hotly debated among the diverse group of users here. Some say "Who cares I'm just going to root anyway" while others argue that "I don't want to root" or "I can't because it's a company phone" and everything in between.

What do you all think? We have put up a poll to see what you, the users, think about all this. You have the option to choose more than one.

Source: Endgadget

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lets face it, most users are happy with all the cute bells and whistles their phones have, and could care less about performance enhancements. But, "locking" you into SenseUI or Blur isnt right. But, we are the minority, and luckily we have a great group of Devs working on our phones.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
let us turn it off please :), I'll be the one to decide whether it's worthy enough to use. Thanks.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i think manufacturers should have their custom ui's. i think it helps competition and offers variety. if we dont like it there will always be a stock android custom rom to use. and if not, get a different phone.

personally, i think they help android (as long as companies dont start coming out with there own markets and what not)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am going to take the option to turn it off, I can understand how a complex and intricate U/I might be handy to some...just not me, as far as "just rooting it" chances are I will do that anyways but it shouldn't have to be a prerequisite to having an interface that is not only usable but also enjoyable for the owner

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'd put ADW Launcher on any new phone if I didn't like the integration with Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and all the other network sites I don't use anyway... But, seriously, most users aren't going to care.

Google just proved they're in it for the money (open-source bull schticky aside), which really stinks but is how we probably should have expected it to be.

Ah well. I still have my Droid 1 and the G2 has vanilla Android. Since it's SO MUCH CHEAPER to make non-UI-modded phones, there will always been vanilla Android phones. Hopefully some high-end ones, but I think we need to face the fact that for the most part vanilla Android will be relegated to lower-end phones. I don't mind that much, but I'm sure some people will be VERY vocal about it.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think it shoudl be an option. LauncherPro is fast, but I would like to try a blurless DroidX. One day, I know it will happen, custom roms with no blur.

Sanitarium09

Reaction score
Android is all about choices and the ability to do what you want with the device including how you want it to look. I think it's fine if a manufacturer includes extras like a different UI, but the user should have the ultimate say on how they use the device they bought.

jamezelle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
screw that, android is "free and open" the ceo cant require crap!

everstar80

Reaction score
Google should let us decide with whatever we put on our phones that we have the option to use it or uninstall it. Choices may make their revenue grow and customers happy.

Darkseider

Reaction score
LOL. The poll results are pretty telling. Either make it easily disabled OR we'll root the bugger and rip it off anyway.

ben.keen

Reaction score
Personally, I think like the majority on this one; we should have the choice to turn it off or on. I think some good points have been made in this thread, for example the fact that the different UIs helps to drive HTC, Motorola, Samsung and the rest to create a different experiences for the people that purchase their devices. I for one, kinda of like the MotoBlur-ish style of the DX. At first I was a little nervous about it, but I have become used to it and now it isn't that bad.