Google Wallet Comes to Nexus S & Galaxy Nexus (AT&T); VZW G-Nex Unofficially Gets It

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-wallet-new-devices.png

The NFC payment system that Google is pioneering, Google Wallet, is now available on a couple of new devices. You can now get it officially on the Nexus S and the GSM Unlocked AT&T version of the Galaxy Nexus. All you have to do is download it from the Android Market and start using it. Google even gives you a free $10 bucks to get the ball rolling.

Sadly, there is no "official" support for the G-Nex on Verizon (because Verizon wants to push their own mobile payment service); however, luckily, our beloved Android community has come up with a workaround that solves that little issue. Here's the complete instructions below:

1. From your phone open the browser and head to http://market.android.com.
2. Search for "Google Wallet."

*If your browser prompts you to open the Market, don’t. Just stay in the browser.

3. When the results come back, tap on the Google Wallet icon.
4. Tap the "Install" button from within the browser and then sign into your Google account.

*Again, this is all from the browser, not the Market app.

5. Once you have signed in, you should be redirected back to the Market page in the browser.
6. Obviously, you will not have the option to install there since the VZW Nexus is not supported.
7. Tap the back button until you are prompted for the Market or Browser again, this time choosing the Market.
8. The Android Market should open to the Google Wallet page with an option to install.
It's interesting to see that this Google Wallet workaround for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is so simple and doesn't require rooting or anything too complicated. Of course, it's not surprising, because you guys are awesome!

Source: PhoneArena and AndroidMarket

crj1

Reaction score
This doesn't work.

EDIT: I wasn't touching the Google Wallet icon and opening the Google Wallet detail page on the browser. I was touching the tiny INSTALL button below the icon on the search results page.

Watching this [video=youtube;jI-f2T4cCWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI-f2T4cCWI&feature=youtu.be"]video[/video] really helped me - might help others.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I found a post in a thread somewhere that supposedly makes this method work. They signed out of the market, and did the long version again. They said that when you get to the sign in page you MUST type out your account and password. The user indicated that if you click the yellow bar for an auto-sign in, it won''t work. After you do that, tap back, and chose "open with market". It should say, "This item isn't available by your carrier" but go ahead and "Accept & Download" anyway.

Another method was mentioned that said to send a market link to your phone with the "Chrome to Phone extension" for the Chrome browser. If you do this it should open automatically in the Market App and allow you to Accept & Download.

I haven't tried any of these ideas, so sound off if it works/does not work for you. I am sure we can figure it out. :)

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
Fallowing the OP instructions it's not working for me. After I sign in it's asking me to choose which device to send it to, and when I choose G Nexus, it say "this item is not available on your carrier".

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used the hacked version, spent my courtesy ten bucks and uninstalled it - doesn't seem safe enough yet, I feel better using my cc

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fallowing the OP instructions it's not working for me. After I sign in it's asking me to choose which device to send it to, and when I choose G Nexus, it say "this item is not available on your carrier".

I added some additional instructions in my secondary post above that should do the trick. Let us know how it goes.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Awesome, my unofficial side loaded Google Wallet app is now officially showing up in the market.

JJDH

Reaction score
Can't get it.. Got as far as shown in market but no install choice

Sent with Gnex on the green tap

Desmond82

Reaction score
Can't get it.. Got as far as shown in market but no install choice

Sent with Gnex on the green tap

You have received a YouTube video! [video=youtube;jI-f2T4cCWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI-f2T4cCWI[/video]

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk