Google Wallet .apk Installable and Working Fine on Samsung Galaxy Nexus Without Root

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-from-the-forums.jpg

Well... that didn't take long. Even though Verizon wanted to be stingy about Google Wallet on their version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, it looks like the community wasn't really bothered by it all that much. At first, the modders and devs came up with a root method to get Google Wallet working, but now that an .apk file for Google Wallet was released by devs, you simply need to install, and Google Wallet will work fine on your ICS powered superphone. In fact, new users of Google Wallet will get $10 bucks from Google for free, just to get it started. It seems that Verizon banning it from their device turned out to be mostly a non-issue...

GoogleWalletLogo.jpg

Here's a link to download the file: Google Wallet.apk

Thanks to Natolx for starting the thread, and to leprophotography for posting the download link (as well as everyone else contributing to the thread)!

Source: Droidforums.net - Got Google Wallet Working

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
I just downloaded this apk this morning. But to my understanding this wasn't released by Google but a community build that doesn't need rooting.

captclueless

Reaction score
Just installed from the apk in the OP. Got my 10 bucks too.
Question? Do they send you a physical card if your default card is the google prepaid card?

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Somebody is giving out $10 each so it must be. It is just basically a prepaid card that so far can only be used with NFC. Has some nice discounts attached tho :biggrin:.

schellbl

Reaction score
So it only accepts citi master cards? I can't use other banks like Chase or American express?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bsmith0731

Reaction score
So it only accepts citi master cards? I can't use other banks like Chase or American express?

Just went into CVS and it worked smoothly. The girl was like wow I've never seen that.

You can load money from other Cards. Click in the google pay card

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I used my GWallet App today 3 out of 4 times and it worked!

The Best Buy and two McDonald's cashiers were pretty impressed with it. They were all "Did you just pay with your phone?"

I tried to go to the Verizon Wireless store to grab an extended battery, but they didn't have the capabilities for "PayPass" or "NFC transactions."

Lastly, I tried to get a pair of touchscreen cold weather gloves from Sports Authority but the store itself was inside a building so I could not get a 3G or a 4G signal. The funds were already in the app but I guess you need to be connected to data to finish the transaction. Lastly, I called GWallet Customer Service and asked them about it and they confirmed that you needed either Wifi/3G/4G for Google Wallet to work.

GWallet is the future. I wish everybody accepted it.

Riley

Reaction score
I installed it and got my $10 ...looking forward to trying it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I used my GWallet App today 3 out of 4 times and it worked!

The Best Buy and two McDonald's cashiers were pretty impressed with it. They were all "Did you just pay with your phone?"

I tried to go to the Verizon Wireless store to grab an extended battery, but they didn't have the capabilities for "PayPass" or "NFC transactions."

Lastly, I tried to get a pair of touchscreen cold weather gloves from Sports Authority but the store itself was inside a building so I could not get a 3G or a 4G signal. The funds were already in the app but I guess you need to be connected to data to finish the transaction. Lastly, I called GWallet Customer Service and asked them about it and they confirmed that you needed either Wifi/3G/4G for Google Wallet to work.

GWallet is the future. I wish everybody accepted it.

That's good to know... if it wont work without a data connection you have to have a secondary form of payment, you can't rely on it.

vaeron

Reaction score
I know that for the most part the community is pretty honest, but when it comes to that sensitive of financial data, I would rather get the APK directly from Google, rather than a community. If my debit/credit cards are linked to it, traceability for me is key.