Google voice warning!!!!

thaJack

Reaction score
No surprise. You're configuring your Verizon number to forward to a different number if you don't answer the call. It shouldn't be a surprise that it uses minutes.

Just have incoming calls come to your Google Voice number, then you won't be charged anything when it takes your messages.

xjman349

Reaction score
Wow so if i lets say forward my calls to my home number and someone calls me and i pick up and answer (both aren't on friends and family) and talk my cell will get charged the whole time I'm talking?

Yes if the person calling you isnt on your friends and family and your home number isnt on your friends and family number you will be charged minutes.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
No surprise. You're configuring your Verizon number to forward to a different number if you don't answer the call. It shouldn't be a surprise that it uses minutes.

Just have incoming calls come to your Google Voice number, then you won't be charged anything when it takes your messages.

Yea so basically just have everyone call my google voice number instead. Which is cool i was just tryin to make it so i didnt have to give everyone the new number.

xjman349

Reaction score

Yea so basically just have everyone call my google voice number instead. Which is cool i was just tryin to make it so i didnt have to give everyone the new number.

Why would this be beneficial? Your phone shouldn't ring, unless you are getting a call from your Verizon Wireless number. If you have forwarding setup through google that makes sense but whats the point. When you answer on your cell its still going to charge you minutes to talk to someone why not just keep giving your wireless number out.

alm0614

Reaction score
if you are having a problem with 1-2 minute voicemails, imagine if you answered the phone actually

xjman349

Reaction score
if you are having a problem with 1-2 minute voicemails, imagine if you answered the phone actually

Thanks for saying what I was trying to say in one sentence instead of the paragraph above.

soulpatch

Reaction score

Why would this be beneficial? Your phone shouldn't ring, unless you are getting a call from your Verizon Wireless number. If you have forwarding setup through google that makes sense but whats the point. When you answer on your cell its still going to charge you minutes to talk to someone why not just keep giving your wireless number out.

Using the Google Voice number allows him to forward for free and not get hit with airtime charges unless he answers on his cell phone.

I am not sure how the google voice number plays with VZ family and friends though...

xjman349

Reaction score

Using the Google Voice number allows him to forward for free and not get hit with airtime charges unless he answers on his cell phone.

I am not sure how the google voice number plays with VZ family and friends though...

It plays well with friends and family. I guess I really just look at Google Voice as the best voicemail replacement out there. The rest of all the forwarding stuff just isn't a big deal to me.

OP
P
Reaction score
Personally I find the benefits out weigh the cons here. How many freaking calls do you get that you end up with 200 minutes being used just for google voice? That's A LOT of calls. do you like not ever answer your phone? if you get that many calls you prob should just upgrade your minutes.... or add to your friends and family list...

Let's do a little math here. 200 calls / 30 Days = 6.7 calls per day.

I work in a job where I am away from my desk working with tools/dies/knives/inks/etc.. a lot and I leave my phone at my desk. I also leave it at my desk when I meet with people so a lot of calls roll to voicemail. 7 calls over 8 or 9 hours is not even 1 call an hour so 200 over a month isn't much but when it's 200 CHARGED MINUTES it does hurt your bill.

Look, I wasn't blaming Google or anyone else other than me for not fully thinking it through. I honestly thought the calls were being routed through the Google Voice App using Data, NOT just forwarding the call to my number. Maybe if I'd read all the details on it I would have realized that but being new to GV, Droid and Android I didn't do my due diligence. My point in this thread is to make it clear that it is FORWARDING and not USING THE APP. Apparently others on here were thinking the same as me. I don't want anyone else to be surprised.

xjman349

Reaction score
Personally I find the benefits out weigh the cons here. How many freaking calls do you get that you end up with 200 minutes being used just for google voice? That's A LOT of calls. do you like not ever answer your phone? if you get that many calls you prob should just upgrade your minutes.... or add to your friends and family list...

I work in a job where I am away from my desk working with tools/dies/knives/inks/etc.. a lot and I leave my phone at my desk. I also leave it at my desk when I meet with people so a lot of calls roll to voicemail. 7 calls over 8 or 9 hours is not even 1 call an hour so 200 over a month isn't much but when it's 200 CHARGED MINUTES it does hurt your bill.

Look, I wasn't blaming Google or anyone else other than me for not fully thinking it through. I honestly thought the calls were being routed through the Google Voice App using Data, NOT just forwarding the call to my number. Maybe if I'd read all the details on it I would have realized that but being new to GV, Droid and Android I didn't do my due diligence. My point in this thread is to make it clear that it is FORWARDING and not USING THE APP. Apparently others on here were thinking the same as me. I don't want anyone else to be surprised.

If you are being realistic with how many calls you are taking based on your above example you should be on an unlimited plan, or a plan that has friends and family. There is no way the 450 minute plan is working for you.

soulpatch

Reaction score

Um.....You use minutes when you check VM with VZ.
Fine print when looking at the VM wording on VZ's site:

"Please note that you do use airtime when you check your messages from your wireless phone."
So while you may not get charged for the initial call you get charged for the time it takes you to listen to it. Google Voice just flips the charge to incoming rather then outgoing.

If you call into google voice to listen to the VM then yes you get double pinged but there is an app to read the VM and play it using your data so there is no reason to call in....

And yes you could call into your VM from another phone to get around the charges but if you are going to that extreme then you either need to ditch a cell phone as your main line or get a larger contract.....

OP
P
Reaction score
Actually it works quite well because when I AM at my desk, if I see someone calling me that isn't on Verizon, I can forward them to voicemail then call them back from my landline. No minutes used. When I AM at the desk I have a lot of freedom to use my deskphone, I just don't get the opportunity much anymore to use it. Also, many of the 6 or 7 missed a day are from the same people who, if I had answered, or when I call them back when I get to my desk stop calling. My average usage is 325 to 350 minutes a month. Almost all of my family is on Verizon so it doesn't cut into my minutes. 450 does me just fine most of the time.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I just wanted the visual voice mail aspect and to be able to play the voicemails on my handset via the app. So I thought maybe if I had it forward I could just skip my regular voicemail and use that. Nobody would really know that I had google voice except myself and I would just use that as a replacement.

As far picking up google voice how does that work? Because when I get calls forwarded to my cell from google voice it always comes up with the person calling me not my google voice number

soulpatch

Reaction score
As far picking up google voice how does that work? Because when I get calls forwarded to my cell from google voice it always comes up with the person calling me not my google voice number

Sounds like you went the route I did and chose to keep your existing number and not get a new number from Google. As such that option is not available to us.