Google voice warning!!!!

OP
P
Reaction score
Couldn't you just add the number to friends and family?

I stated that in the initial post. Yes, you could add that number to the F&F IF you have it. I have the 450 min plan so I don't have that. Normally 450 minutes is more than enough for me but when 200 mins are consumed by forwarded calls to my GV number then that kills that plan in a hurry.

xjman349

Reaction score

I stated that in the initial post. Yes, you could add that number to the F&F IF you have it. I have the 450 min plan so I don't have that. Normally 450 minutes is more than enough for me but when 200 mins are consumed by forwarded calls to my GV number then that kills that plan in a hurry.

The biggest reason why is it always answers. Let me explain if someone calls you and it rings rings and rings and you don't answer it you aren't charged minutes unless you answer.

With google voice you always answer your calls. That voice mail that someone leaves you is taking minutes, and if you dial in to listen to it that costs you minutes as well. Kinda is crazy but makes sense.

Fullenwider

Reaction score
I thought it cost minutes to check voicemail on Verizons' VM anyways.
I wonder if I put my Verizon VM on my FF list is a good idea (never thought of that b4 reading this thread).

Can someone say why Google vm would be better than the vm that comes with Verizon?

xjman349

Reaction score
I thought it cost minutes to check voicemail on Verizons' VM anyways.
I wonder if I put my Verizon VM on my FF list is a good idea (never thought of that b4 reading this thread).

Can someone say where Google vm would be better than the vm that comes with Verizon?

You can't put your Verizon VM on friends and family. :(

Google vm is better I love getting texts (even if they arent close) of voicemails.

OP
P
Reaction score

The biggest reason why is it always answers. Let me explain if someone calls you and it rings rings and rings and you don't answer it you aren't charged minutes unless you answer.

With google voice you always answer your calls. That voice mail that someone leaves you is taking minutes, and if you dial in to listen to it that costs you minutes as well. Kinda is crazy but makes sense.

Oh, I completely know how it works now and that it ALWAYS answers the phone. I just didn't realize that what "choosing" the google voice as my default voicemail was actually FORWARDING the call. I thought it was tunneling it through the App and going through the data. Had I KNOWN it was going through voice I definitely wouldn't have set it up that way. That's what I get for assuming.

UPDATE: I contacted Verizon and told them what happened and they agreed that since I had discontinued GV voicemail that they would wipe all charges up to today made to that number since it first appeared on my phone and credit me any overage charges. This makes me VERY happy. YAY VERIZON CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Again, for those that can set their GV number on their friend & family list or have unlimited, this doesn't matter but if you are counting minutes, be careful.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

Oh, I completely know how it works now and that it ALWAYS answers the phone. I just didn't realize that what "choosing" the google voice as my default voicemail was actually FORWARDING the call. I thought it was tunneling it through the App and going through the data. Had I KNOWN it was going through voice I definitely wouldn't have set it up that way. That's what I get for assuming.

UPDATE: I contacted Verizon and told them what happened and they agreed that since I had discontinued GV voicemail that they would wipe all charges up to today made to that number since it first appeared on my phone and credit me any overage charges. This makes me VERY happy. YAY VERIZON CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Again, for those that can set their GV number on their friend & family list or have unlimited, this doesn't matter but if you are counting minutes, be careful.

Personally I find the benefits out weigh the cons here. How many freaking calls do you get that you end up with 200 minutes being used just for google voice? That's A LOT of calls. do you like not ever answer your phone? if you get that many calls you prob should just upgrade your minutes.... or add to your friends and family list...

soulpatch

Reaction score
Personally I find the benefits out weigh the cons here. How many freaking calls do you get that you end up with 200 minutes being used just for google voice? That's A LOT of calls. do you like not ever answer your phone? if you get that many calls you prob should just upgrade your minutes.... or add to your friends and family list...

I tend to agree. I figure that if I actually answered the call that it would take that much longer to talk to the person then to have them leave a voicemail.

I also do not call in to listen to my voicemails. I just use the Google Voice app and listen to them through there so I use the data portion of my phone...

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Hold on let me get this straight when:
someone calls it sends it to ur google voice mail
you get charged for that? or do you get charged for checking your google voicemail?

I set mines up by putting my phone to busy *71 i think and forwarding calls to my google voice. I never check my voicemail by dialing I use the google voice app and play the files from there.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Hold on let me get this straight when:
someone calls it sends it to ur google voice mail
you get charged for that? or do you get charged for checking your google voicemail?

I set mines up by putting my phone to busy *71 i think and forwarding calls to my google voice. I never check my voicemail by dialing I use the google voice app and play the files from there.

Yes you will be charged the minutes for when gvoice picks up and the length of time for them to leave their message. Unless that person is in your friends and family should you have that option.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
That doesnt sound right
If you forward to another number I would think you wouldnt have any problems with charging.

I do have friends and family so i should just add my google voice number to that and I wouldn't get charged for anything?

soulpatch

Reaction score
If you forward to another number and that number answers you are charged the airtime. Regardless if it is another cell, your bberry, gvoice number.

Since you check the messages by playing them in the gvoice app adding the number to your friends and fam will not help you. If the numbers calling you and leaving messages are in your friends and family however you will not be charged airtime. For instance if it is normally your wife, kid, mom, whatever then add them to your friends and family and you will be fine.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Wow so if i lets say forward my calls to my home number and someone calls me and i pick up and answer (both aren't on friends and family) and talk my cell will get charged the whole time I'm talking?

soulpatch

Reaction score
I do believe so. You are just forwarding where the cell phone is being answered but they still called your cell phone.......

MrCapcom

Reaction score
How does billing work for Call Forwarding?
Airtime charges apply to all forwarded calls in accordance with your Calling Plan, even if you forward your calls to a landline number. There is no monthly fee on most Verizon Wireless plans; however, a fee may apply on some retired plans. Long Distance is not charged on forwarded calls if you have a plan that includes Long Distance.
Feedback

From VZ thats kinda stupid oh well won't be using that feature anymore to forward calls I do'nt think I have unlimited forwarding or w/e lol

Just info for people who might have it

How to Use It
To Activate:
Press *72.
Enter the phone number where you want calls to be forwarded. (e.g. *72-908-123-4567).
Press SEND and wait for confirmation. You should hear a confirmation tone or a message.
Press END.
To Deactivate:
Press *73.
Press SEND and wait for confirmation. You should hear a confirmation tone or a message.
Press END.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Go to your account and look at your features on your account. Most accounts have call forwarding included especially if you are on a plan for a droid...

You just have to eat air time regardless if the call is forwarded to your landline or if your google voice picks it up. So one way or the other you are using your airtime if you use google voice.