Google voice warning!!!!

Reaction score
Okay Guys, I finally got a Google Voice invite and set it up and changed my voicemail over to it and set it up as my default voicemail. WRONG THING TO DO. It didn't occur to me that what it was doing was forwarding the calls to my G-Voice number and charging me minutes as a regular call. I also have a few numbers I have set up as "forward to voicemail" by default. Well, everytime they get forwarded, I get minutes charged where I wouldn't have gotten charged had it been my regular voicemail. I thought all of this was done as data transfer and not minutes but BOY was I rudely surprised to see that I had gone over minutes solely because of this.

Now, if you have an unlimited plan you're fine. If you have a "friends & family" plan and choose your G-voice number as one of those, you're fine. Otherwise, I'd say to avoid using it this way. The transcription and downloadable visual voicemail is great, but not THAT great.

solideliquid

Reaction score
Okay Guys, I finally got a Google Voice invite and set it up and changed my voicemail over to it and set it up as my default voicemail. WRONG THING TO DO. It didn't occur to me that what it was doing was forwarding the calls to my G-Voice number and charging me minutes as a regular call. I also have a few numbers I have set up as "forward to voicemail" by default. Well, everytime they get forwarded, I get minutes charged where I wouldn't have gotten charged had it been my regular voicemail. I thought all of this was done as data transfer and not minutes but BOY was I rudely surprised to see that I had gone over minutes solely because of this.

Now, if you have an unlimited plan you're fine. If you have a "friends & family" plan and choose your G-voice number as one of those, you're fine. Otherwise, I'd say to avoid using it this way. The transcription and downloadable visual voicemail is great, but not THAT great.

I've looked at my bill and confirmed for each voicemail I "used" 1-2 minutes of my "any time minutes" pool. Not sure if I want to be using GV after this discovery.

OP
P
Reaction score
It accounted for HALF my bill. Apparently, one of the calls I have on forward is rather aggressive autodialer. That I need to take up with them. But unless I change to another plan, I won't use G-voice voicemail.

antyoo

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up, ill keep an eye on my minutes, but im sure i will be fine as we are usually about 400min under what we pay for.

solideliquid

Reaction score
So how do you switch back to verizon voicemail if you are setup for google voice?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
edit : i was to slow

settings>call settings>voicemail service

-=Jason=-

solideliquid

Reaction score
So how do you switch back to verizon voicemail if you are setup for google voice?

Follow the directions given on the Google Voice website when you click to deactivate

This worked for me, I had to dial *xx as per the Google Voice website. I'll try the default verizon voice mail for a while, and I may even try the visual voicemail. $2.99 a month is probably worth it considering you could pay much more if you go over your minutes (450 plan here) using Google Voice.

xjman349

Reaction score
Make your GV number in your friends and family number. Unlimited calls are awesome blossom!

ZeroTruths

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
I'll definitely be more observant about this, although by the current view of things, I don't have much to worry about as I don't make too many calls...

K

kasey535

Do u run "voicemail" where u can c the msg b4 u listen 2 them. If so they count as mins...