Google Voice - The Non-Invite thread

HarleyDad09

Reaction score
How do you set up Google Voice, so that it does not eat up your minute with mobile to mobile?

zetachi

Reaction score
Got a question I can't seem to find the answer to.

Is it possible to use Goggle Voice, say from overseas to a US landline and if so what rates are charged and will it eat up my verizon minutes.

Scenario. Going on vacation to the Caribbean. will be on a cruise ship stopping at 4 ports. verizon charges a minimum of $1.50/min up to @ 2.75/ mi for calls will I be able to use Google Voice instead?

cb3FSU

Reaction score
would google voice work over seas on our phones if you are on wifi?

backlash

Reaction score
How do you set up Google Voice, so that it does not eat up your minute with mobile to mobile?

You have to have the friends and family option to your plan, then just add you Google voice # to your friends and family plan. There is a way to configure google voice so you can dial your google voice # and make free outgoing calls, as well as receive them.

Reaction score
why am i so confused. i just got a GV invite and not sure how to set it up or if I should use a G# or my own cell#.

I dont want to make the wrong choice. do you know a link etc... that i can read to figure out the best course of action?

thanks!

Reaction score
thanks for the link.

if i get a new # my old number is just gone?
can i get a location based # or will i get one out of my area code?

thanks

cgarnes

Reaction score
You're welcome, sillyrabbit (tricks are for kids, lol, I just *had* to say that). ;-)

I don't know the answers to the other questions you have, though, but I would guess that if you have two (or more) Google accounts, that the number assigned to the account(s) would still exist, but that's just a guess on my part.

Now, my area code is not available yet, so I had to choose a neighboring one, or I would had to have done without a GV, but that is okay with me, because anyone who would be calling me would have a long distance number anyway. My "selected ones" are on my Friends and Family stuff.

The plus side is that I could actually choose a PORTION of the number I wanted. That was a neat surprise!

Dragoro

Reaction score
thanks for the link.

thanks

No if you get a new number, you still keep your old number.

You choose the new number you get.

Reaction score
You're welcome, sillyrabbit (tricks are for kids, lol, I just *had* to say that). ;-)

I don't know the answers to the other questions you have, though, but I would guess that if you have two (or more) Google accounts, that the number assigned to the account(s) would still exist, but that's just a guess on my part.

Now, my area code is not available yet, so I had to choose a neighboring one, or I would had to have done without a GV, but that is okay with me, because anyone who would be calling me would have a long distance number anyway. My "selected ones" are on my Friends and Family stuff.

The plus side is that I could actually choose a PORTION of the number I wanted. That was a neat surprise!

LOL trick are for kids and i am silly one so want to get this correct from the start. thanks for the info.

thanks for the link.

thanks

No if you get a new number, you still keep your old number.

You choose the new number you get.

so i get to choose a new # and people can still call my old #. so in essence can i use both #s?
but people on VZW will loose out now from calling me mobile to mobile if they call the google number correct?

whats the real downside to use my vzw # and not get a new one?

thanks!!!

Dragoro

Reaction score
If ya dont get a google number, no sms, and not as many options with google voice mail.

bodean

Reaction score

You have to have the friends and family option to your plan, then just add you Google voice # to your friends and family plan. There is a way to configure google voice so you can dial your google voice # and make free outgoing calls, as well as receive them.

How does this work? When I make an outgoing call with google voice, it displays some odd number, that IS NOT my google voice number.