Google Voice

johnpalley

Reaction score
No, that's another problem.

It appears that the *only* way to dial through google voice is to dial through your contacts list.

-- Dan

what about dialing a contact through the recent call list? is that still technically considered the contact list because it is a contact. sorry to hastle you with all these questions but this is gonna determine wheather i buy this phone or not. i need to make sure that whenever i dial a contact wheather it be through the contacts list or the recent calls list that it uses gv. if i dial one of my contacts and for some reason the non gv number pops up than people i might not wanna talk to could call me on that number if i blocked them with gv. i dont ever want anyone to know my original phone number.

Last edited:

debracey

Reaction score
You should try out the phone in a store :).

The only way I can get it to dial out via the GV # is to dial from the address book. This is done by clicking "contacts" on the main screen or by opening the dialer and dialing through the Contacts or Favorites tabs.

Although -- as I said before -- the new version of Google Voice picks a random number to dial through, so you can't simply stick your GV # in your "favorite 5" and expect to receive free calls.

-- Dan

johnpalley

Reaction score
You should try out the phone in a store :).

The only way I can get it to dial out via the GV # is to dial from the address book. This is done by clicking "contacts" on the main screen or by opening the dialer and dialing through the Contacts or Favorites tabs.

Although -- as I said before -- the new version of Google Voice picks a random number to dial through, so you can't simply stick your GV # in your "favorite 5" and expect to receive free calls.

-- Dan

thanks. damn this sucks. im hoping theres some sort of fix for this so i can buy this phone. an android phone that i like finally comes out and now this

johnpalley

Reaction score
debracey, i started another thread about this on the gvforums website. someone there said that if you dial a 7 digit number from the dialer app then it bypasses gv. he said if you dial the full 10 digit number than it will use gv. are you dialing 10 numbers?

debracey

Reaction score
Hmm - I didnt try a 10 digit number. The 10 digit number actually worked --- my caller ID showed my GV #.

Looks like you found a workaround!

-- Dan

johnpalley

Reaction score
Hmm - I didnt try a 10 digit number. The 10 digit number actually worked --- my caller ID showed my GV #.

Looks like you found a workaround!

-- Dan

nice!!!!! could you please try it from the recent calls. werent you saying before that dialing a contact from the recent calls wasnt working? are all your contacts 10 digits?

Last edited:

debracey

Reaction score
I did try it from recent calls --- that worked too.

Yes, all of my contacts are 10 digits.

hoppyjr

Reaction score
guys this is an extremely important subject for me because google voice alone is the only reason im about to switch from my blackberry to the droid pro. you know how on bb when you start typing on the home screen, whatever you type, contacts that match the wording pop up on the screen? i want to make it so if i do that on the pro then i hit send on one of my contacts then it automatically uses google voice. i also wanna make sure that if i dial a number from the recent calls that it auto uses google voice also. same if im just dialing a random number on the keypad and of course if im dialing from my contacts list. is this possible? i hope so cause if not i cant even buy this device.

and also debracey, im not familiar with this device cause i dont own it yet but what exactly is the dialer app? is that a 3rd party app that you added yourself?

I'm sure you know this, but you can use Google Voice from a Blackberry.........

johnpalley

Reaction score
guys this is an extremely important subject for me because google voice alone is the only reason im about to switch from my blackberry to the droid pro. you know how on bb when you start typing on the home screen, whatever you type, contacts that match the wording pop up on the screen? i want to make it so if i do that on the pro then i hit send on one of my contacts then it automatically uses google voice. i also wanna make sure that if i dial a number from the recent calls that it auto uses google voice also. same if im just dialing a random number on the keypad and of course if im dialing from my contacts list. is this possible? i hope so cause if not i cant even buy this device.

and also debracey, im not familiar with this device cause i dont own it yet but what exactly is the dialer app? is that a 3rd party app that you added yourself?

I'm sure you know this, but you can use Google Voice from a Blackberry.........

yeah but the gv app is trash and it doesnt auto use gv for every call. you gotta hit menu>use google voice for every call. and its not even an option for recent calls. its useless as far as im concerned

Last edited:

Songman

Reaction score
I have my Droid set to ask me every time I make a call if I want to use GV or not. If I am calling my wife on her Verizon cell phone, if I use GV I don't get charged but she uses minutes. If I call her on my Verizon number it is free for both of us. Lots of my friends are on Verizon so it is the same. I call them on Verizon and all other numbers on GV.

And I think someone already discover that if you dial a 7-digit number from your phone it does not give you the option for GV. A 10-digit does though.

Lastly, I was bummed when the latest upgrade to GV went to random outgoing numbers. Luckily, going back to an older version of the app stops that. Just make sure and never upgrade again... Here is a link worth looking at.
Google Voice 0.3.0 - Free Download

coskier

Reaction score
A little secret tip for you...We put our GV#'s on our VZW Freinds&F@milyPlan, so those calls are now INCLUDED@ N/C. Shhhh plz!

Check your usage, I am sure this is not the case. I have been using GV with VZW Friends and Family for 2 years on my WinMo phone. Now that I switched over and started using the GV app on my Incredible, the app seems to use random access numbers that are not in my F&F list. This means I am now making calls to non-VZW numbers and am getting charged the minutes for them. This has drastically changed my bill. Calling VZW today to adjust before the big penalties come. I'd recommend you check your account ASAP.

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
I love using google voice.. I'm actually saving 20 bucks a month since I'm not paying for unlimited text messaging since I'm using google voice to text people. I'm also saving 3 bucks a month since I'm not paying for Visual Voicemail.

:icon_ banana:

johnpalley

Reaction score
guys i just bought a droid pro and am now using the voice app. when i touch the voice app all i see is the inbox. i wanna be able to see the inbox and outbox on the same page just like with blackberries. is there any way to do this?

Last edited: