Google Voice - The Non-Invite thread

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Man. The transcription is a total joke. Worthless.

Anyone else not getting notifications until you open the app?

Mine translate fine..

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
How about this one..

I was in such a rush to set up my Google Voice account I clicked "Use my mobile number" instead of having google give me a number. Does anyone know if there is a way to go back and get a google number? Thanks

Unfortunately there is no way to do this at the moment.

Sure there is...In my Settings next to my VM number is a link that says Get a Google Number.....

0919090957.jpg

Dragoro

Reaction score
How about this one..

I was in such a rush to set up my Google Voice account I clicked "Use my mobile number" instead of having google give me a number. Does anyone know if there is a way to go back and get a google number? Thanks

Unfortunately there is no way to do this at the moment.

Sure there is...In my Settings next to my VM number is a link that says Get a Google Number.....

0919090957.jpg

That just came out this week.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If ya dont get a google number, no sms, and not as many options with google voice mail.
There are several references out there (like the Google Voice help pages) so I'm not going to reinvent the wheel if you want a full list of features. The options that I find handy (YMMV) that you only get with using a GV number:

• Multiple device ring. At work there's just very poor coverage with all carriers. I can choose to receive calls to my GV number on my work phone so I don't have to worry about losing a call or not even being able to answer a call.
  • Call transfer. Mostly hand for end of the day teleconferences so I can switch it to the mobile and leave the office.
  • Unwanted call handling. If I choose, an unwanted caller can be sent directly to voicemail and the voicemail can be automatically deleted. All without me ever hearing about it. Also, I can choose to present unwanted callers with a "number disconnected" message.
  • Voicemail transcription. It's useless sometime but in most cases I find it very useful and I spend less time listening to messages. In most cases I can get the gist of the message well enough. Voicemail message can be listened to on the PC via the GV site as well. I can even forward voicemail via email though I haven't found a need yet.
  • SMS via the GV site. Nothing beats typing on an IBM Model M keyboard. I know many won't agree but that's my preference. SMS is logged on the site as well which can be a pro and a con. Pro for referencing text messages later but con if you're a tinfoil hat type.
As I said, there are even more features and what you find useful can definitely differ.

The downside to using you VZW number is that you can't use the additional features. There's really no downside that I've found if you get a GV number. You don't have to use it and you have the option of using your VZW number. I don't get why Google offers GV without a GV number but at least you can switch if you change your mind now.

You have to download the google voice app off the market to recieve or dial out calls through google voice.
You don't need the app to receive calls. However, you'll want it to place calls. Otherwise you have to dial your GV number and go through the menus to place a call through GV.

why when i call my GV# i get a recording of someone saying we will try to locate this GV person. its not like a seemless forward. shouldnt it be that someone calls the GV# i.e. 415.555.1212 which then immeditely rings the real cell # without and lag or intermediary thing?
Do you have Call Presentation enabled in Google Voice? If so, it could be taking time to contact you and verify that you want to talk to the caller.

Can you have two GV accounts linked to the same cell number or that will not work?
IIRC someone tried that and the second GV account cannot link to a phone already linked to a GV account.

or can i set GV to email my two gmail accounts?
Nope. :frown:

So are texts send and received through GV free? I tried it out and I recieved a notification in both GV and handcent...the one in handcent displayed a google number, so it looks like I was dinged for the text.
Texts via GV are sent via your data connection and are free. Text via the default or aftermarket messaging apps are sent via Verizon (and are billed). Disable SMS forwarding and disable SMS notifications if you are trying to avoid paying for texts. You might need to do this via the GV web site but I can't recall off the top of my head.

Man. The transcription is a total joke. Worthless.
Mine translate fine..
Depends on the caller. For some callers it's worthless. For others it works well. For the rest I generally get a good enough idea that I don't have to sit through listening to the voicemail.

MagGyver

Reaction score
I've been reading through this thread, the GV help pages, and other places with interest. But my particular scenario is a little different, so I'm hoping someone can help clarify things with me.

I only have one phone number to contend with (my cell number through VZW) and have unlimited minutes AND unlimited text/data. So many of the minutes-saving strategies I've seen here don't apply. In addition, since my one cell number has been my business number for the last 10+ years, I would rather have it set up so my clients/friends/family continue to dial the number they've known for all this time instead of having to give everyone a new number.

I just received my GV invite today and haven't yet signed up because I want to be clear on these things before I do.

It would seem that I should be setting up GV with a Google number, rather than using my existing cell number, to obtain some of the more advanced features, and I *think* I understand that people can still continue to call my current cell number, but calls will get forwarded. If that's the case, then I have just a few things I'm unclear about:

1 - If I use Handcent for SMS, and have unlimited messaging, then will I encounter any problem if I introduce GV into the mix?

2 - MMS is still not supported I think? Does that mean I'm screwed for MMS send/receive, or simply that I will configure GV to have nothing to do with MMS?

3 - Will my caller ID for outgoing calls be my GV number, a roaming Google number, or my own existing cell number provided by VZW?

4 - If I forward my cell number's incoming calls to GV, is there a way to make the forward transition seamless and without too many rings?

5 - Is it worth all the trouble if I only have one device, or is GV better for those who have multiple numbers to manage?

Thanks in advance for any feedback...sorry if it seems repeated from any of sillyrabbit's posts - all the answers seem designed for someone watching their airtime but that's not the case with me.

Reaction score
From what I understand now and I am not an expert it actually feels like a dog chasing his tail sometimes. however, if you arent looking to save mintues etc... get a GV# so you have it (dont give it out) or give it to people you might not want to talk to you could have that # go direct to VM.

then setup your VZW cellphone to have Google handle your voicemails so you can get the free transcription (which isnt perfect but its cool) and you could also get your vm sent to you through email and or google voice app. this way you dont have to call into VZW to get vm.

hope this helps

MagGyver

Reaction score
Thanks for this. If anyone has anything to add about my SMS/MMS questions, I'd be so grateful.

From what I understand now and I am not en expert it actually feels like a dog chasing his tail sometimes. however, if you arent looking to save mintues etc... get a GV# so you have it (dont give it out) or give it to people you might not want to talk to you could have that # go direct to VM.

then setup you VZW cellphone to have Google handle your voicemails so you can get the free transcription (which isnt perfect but its cool) and you could also get your vm sent to you through email and or google voice app. this way you dont have to call into VZW to get vm.

hope this helps

Reaction score
So I am reading everything here and my understanding is that there is no reason to avoid getting a new google phone number since you can turn each feature on and off?

Is that correct?

Personally I only see myself liking the fact I can have free transcribed voicemail, so does that mean I should just use my number or should I snag a google number just in case I want to use it later?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
So I am reading everything here and my understanding is that there is no reason to avoid getting a new google phone number since you can turn each feature on and off?

Is that correct?

Correct

Personally I only see myself liking the fact I can have free transcribed voicemail, so does that mean I should just use my number or should I snag a google number just in case I want to use it later?

You can or get it Later.....You have an option to do either

normbarb

Reaction score
Voicemail - Number of Rings - Non Google Number

I looked at the posting on setting the number of rings for voicemail. I did not get a Google number and do not have the same options in the posting to go directly to Google mail. Can the number of rings be reduced for non-google number?

Also, can you switch. The invite said no!

Thanks, Norm