Google Voice texting

Jages16

Reaction score
So am finally starting to give people my GV number so they will know it's me texting them. Quick question though...do I have to go into GV every time to text, or is there a way to use the stock text program with GV? Thanks!

searayman

Reaction score
So am finally starting to give people my GV number so they will know it's me texting them. Quick question though...do I have to go into GV every time to text, or is there a way to use the stock text program with GV? Thanks!

OK if you want to use the built in messenger or chomp or handcent with google voice it is possible. here is how you do it:

1) First text your friends from the google voice app pr from google voice on the web

2) wait for your friends to reply

3) When your friends reply if you look in your stock texting app you will notice the text seems to not come from your friends normal number but rather a number which starts with are code; 406-XXX-XXXX

4) Each contact as they reply to your original text will come back with a unique 406 number that ties your number to theirs. What I do is I take the 406 number and save it as my contacts "mobile number" then i switch there regular number to their "home number".

5) When sending texts from not the google voice app send the text to your contacts 406 number and it should work perfectly.

If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask and I will try and give you a more clear answer if this is to confusing. Enjoy, and Good Luck!

subsynth

Reaction score

OK if you want to use the built in messenger or chomp or handcent with google voice it is possible. here is how you do it:

1) First text your friends from the google voice app pr from google voice on the web

2) wait for your friends to reply

3) When your friends reply if you look in your stock texting app you will notice the text seems to not come from your friends normal number but rather a number which starts with are code; 406-XXX-XXXX

4) Each contact as they reply to your original text will come back with a unique 406 number that ties your number to theirs. What I do is I take the 406 number and save it as my contacts "mobile number" then i switch there regular number to their "home number".

5) When sending texts from not the google voice app send the text to your contacts 406 number and it should work perfectly.

If you have any questions about this please feel free to ask and I will try and give you a more clear answer if this is to confusing. Enjoy, and Good Luck!

The 406 numbers are only used when you have the SMS forwarded to your actual phone number, which you do not need if you have the google voice app on your phone.

That's a pretty drawn-out process for all of that and you are still sending/receiving SMS through your carrier if you are getting the 406 numbers and therefore not reaping the benifits of unlimited free SMS through the google voice app.

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
So Subsynth, do you know a way then? OR is just easier to go through GV?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, you have to decide what your top priority is.

If free SMS is a priority then use only the GV app.

If you want easy then using the GV app would be the easiest.

If you want to use the stock Messaging app, Handcent, Chomp, etc then you need to set up SMS forwarding (and pay for forwarded and sent text messages).

Some of the replies above make assumptions for you but you really need to decide what matters most to you. I definitely used forwarding before GV was updated with sync recently.