The Facts about SMS with Google Voice App

romeov

Reaction score
This is FASCINATING. I have to admit, I'm sleptical it all might just be a fluke, but I am so excited to test it and see if I can validate the results (as should as many people as we can get on here to try it.. strength in numbers people) it just seems out there, but thejn again maybe not. maybe once you have a contact assigned with it's own 406 number, it uses the much faster phone system rather than a data only path? Hmm, I'm going to try it

joegrind

Reaction score
This is FASCINATING. I have to admit, I'm sleptical it all might just be a fluke, but I am so excited to test it and see if I can validate the results (as should as many people as we can get on here to try it.. strength in numbers people) it just seems out there, but thejn again maybe not. maybe once you have a contact assigned with it's own 406 number, it uses the much faster phone system rather than a data only path? Hmm, I'm going to try it

Good hypothesis, however it still has to go through the data system....because the 406 numbers are not unique for each GVoice account. You can have a 406-number assigned to say your brother, and I can have that same number assigned to my sister. It depends on which GVoice account you are dialing from to 'tap into' the Google data networks.
Post your results after your testing.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
If anyone else has tried some test or has there own hypothesis for us to test on Google voice please share. This can be the Google Voice Experimental threads. Any good info found i will update it into the first post for easy finding.

romeov

Reaction score
Well, I just tested the theory. Re-enabled sms forwarding to my phone from google voice, (at 20 cents a text with no verizon plan mind you) had three different contacts text me and they showed up in my phone with new google given 406 numbers. I replied to them each from my phone to lock in the 406 path back to them just in case.

Turned text forwarding off again in google voice and the verdict is...

They all went back to 5 minute delays.

I got one in 4 , but that was ore a fluke I think.. so one tester here proves this wrong, can we get more? I'm bummed.

Modulus

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've had a G1 for close to 5 months now. I purchased it with the sole intent of using it OFF of the cellular network, and only for the purpose of having the Google Voice app, as well as Sipdroid, as a much smarter 'home' wifi/voip phone..

In this time I have not had the same experience as the OP, I did have SMS forwarding turned on for a short time(with a prepaid SIM), but after that, it still took up to 5 minutes to receive new SMS messages. I now have the Droid configured to have SMS from VZW forwarded to the phone, and the set not to display notification of new SMS, so basically, my Messaging app will always be full of new unread SMS. Looking at my Account shows a ton of incoming messages and no outgoing messages.

As for calling in/out. Download GV by Evan Charlton from the Android Market. Configure it to route all outgoing calls through his app, and disable the official Google Voice app by setting it to 'Do not route any calls through Google Voice'.

This will cause all of your outgoing calls to actually be incoming calls from your GV number, which for some of us, means free outgoing calls... albeit in a round-about fashion.

Until the official Google Voice application is updated to call your number instead of some random changing number, this is the easiest solution. Though I'd imagine this implementation gives the Carriers some peace of mind..

The GV app can also be configured to route calls back via a Gizmo5 747 number, which unless you already have it, you're not going to be getting one anytime soon, as Google just bought Gizmo5 and shutdown registration.. :D

Though in the long run, that should mean very good things for us. possibly: the ability to make/take calls from any computer with a microphone and speaker. Or simply pure SIP calls from inside the Google Voice app over the Droid's data connection. Or if we're really lucky, they'll just buyout what's left of Sprint, and start selling internet-only android devices on which Google Voice runs perfectly.. Maybe I'm dreaming.

joegrind

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've had a G1 for close to 5 months now. I purchased it with the sole intent of using it OFF of the cellular network, and only for the purpose of having the Google Voice app, as well as Sipdroid, as a much smarter 'home' wifi/voip phone..

In this time I have not had the same experience as the OP, I did have SMS forwarding turned on for a short time(with a prepaid SIM), but after that, it still took up to 5 minutes to receive new SMS messages. I now have the Droid configured to have SMS from VZW forwarded to the phone, and the set not to display notification of new SMS, so basically, my Messaging app will always be full of new unread SMS. Looking at my Account shows a ton of incoming messages and no outgoing messages.

As for calling in/out. Download GV by Evan Charlton from the Android Market. Configure it to route all outgoing calls through his app, and disable the official Google Voice app by setting it to 'Do not route any calls through Google Voice'.

This will cause all of your outgoing calls to actually be incoming calls from your GV number, which for some of us, means free outgoing calls... albeit in a round-about fashion.

Until the official Google Voice application is updated to call your number instead of some random changing number, this is the easiest solution. Though I'd imagine this implementation gives the Carriers some peace of mind..

The GV app can also be configured to route calls back via a Gizmo5 747 number, which unless you already have it, you're not going to be getting one anytime soon, as Google just bought Gizmo5 and shutdown registration.. :D

Though in the long run, that should mean very good things for us. possibly: the ability to make/take calls from any computer with a microphone and speaker. Or simply pure SIP calls from inside the Google Voice app over the Droid's data connection. Or if we're really lucky, they'll just buyout what's left of Sprint, and start selling internet-only android devices on which Google Voice runs perfectly.. Maybe I'm dreaming.

Good info man...will look into that app....curious...I have a gizmo 5 account....can that be incorporated with the Droid....u said the GVapp can be routed through this....but u can already answer via ur comp directly....

Modulus

Reaction score
Yeah, you can use a SIP client on android to answer your gizmo5 calls, however, if you have your GV number forwarded to gizmo5 and your cell number, you'll end up with a sort of race-condition, trying to make your phone ring twice. Sipdroid is the client i've been using, and they've been updating it pretty regularly, but it has a lot of room for improvement.

joegrind

Reaction score
I tried using GV last night and a bit too buggy....I'm going to stick with the Google Voice app for now...I figure if I really need to go through all those steps to get a free call (wrt to the Sip client on Android), I'm probably spending too much time on the phone. I just read the Engadget article about a Google phone being released in 2010/11....maybe that's where they're heading with the gizmo 5 purchase.
Google-branded phone coming early next year?

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
I tried using GV last night and a bit too buggy....I'm going to stick with the Google Voice app for now...I figure if I really need to go through all those steps to get a free call (wrt to the Sip client on Android), I'm probably spending too much time on the phone. I just read the Engadget article about a Google phone being released in 2010/11....maybe that's where they're heading with the gizmo 5 purchase.
Google-branded phone coming early next year?

I to just read that article its pretty interesting, and cant wait to see what google has up their sleeve with it

akj27

Reaction score
When receiving a call to my Google Voice number, It'll ask me if I want it sent to my voicemail or something like that, or if I wanna answer it, but to do that, I have to press 1 or 2 and it's really a pain since you have to touch for the dial pad and then touch the screen again to select 1. By the time you do that, the person will have hung up already. Anyway to get around that?

joegrind

Reaction score
When receiving a call to my Google Voice number, It'll ask me if I want it sent to my voicemail or something like that, or if I wanna answer it, but to do that, I have to press 1 or 2 and it's really a pain since you have to touch for the dial pad and then touch the screen again to select 1. By the time you do that, the person will have hung up already. Anyway to get around that?
In Google Voice Web...go to Settings> Calls>De-select Call presentation.

Raditude

Reaction score
If I enabled the sms notifications, does it rely on the sms to make it pop up in GV? I ask this because I have standard texting blocked on my phone, and am unable to receive them. Would activating this speed up the delivery in GV, even though I wont receive a true SMS notification?

Also, I found this thread in the browser, but cant find it in the DroidForums.net app.

joegrind

Reaction score
If I enabled the sms notifications, does it rely on the sms to make it pop up in GV? I ask this because I have standard texting blocked on my phone, and am unable to receive them. Would activating this speed up the delivery in GV, even though I wont receive a true SMS notification?

Also, I found this thread in the browser, but cant find it in the DroidForums.net app.

It won't speed it up, but since you have SMS blocked, you won't get an SMS from your carrier....just the GV app.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score

This thread is old and the updated version of the GV app has push so its no longer an issue involving the app. Slow delivery is now a server problem.