Want to test something with Google Voice...

searayman

Reaction score
i want to do a test with Google voice, and text notifications withing the Google voice app. Cause currently Google voice app on android has a minimum refresh rate of 5 min so you can not get text notification instantly unless you send to your normal messaging app on your phone. But if you send to the normal messaging app and use that you need to use 406 numbers which I do not want to do. So I want to test a way to have Google voice notify me instantly, so if anyoen wants to help me test this out please send me a pm with your aol screen name or google talk name.

Also I plan to conduct this test around 8pm eastern us time. please net me know if you want to help, thanks.

jazzbassnick

Reaction score
Hmm...you know, I just got a Google Voice invite (after requesting one less than a week ago) and have been playing around with it with my WinMo and my home phone.

What if you remove the google voice app on the Droid out of the equation?
I get sms messages (as instant as they are) on my phone and with gmail, the email with the transcription and the audio message right there in the phone.

Since I don't have my Droid yet, I could totally be talking out my tail, but wouldn't the email I get have me covered?

I'm just not sure what benefit the GV app for the phone gets you, other than placing calls?

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
Hmm...you know, I just got a Google Voice invite (after requesting one less than a week ago) and have been playing around with it with my WinMo and my home phone.

What if you remove the google voice app on the Droid out of the equation?
I get sms messages (as instant as they are) on my phone and with gmail, the email with the transcription and the audio message right there in the phone.

Since I don't have my Droid yet, I could totally be talking out my tail, but wouldn't the email I get have me covered?

I'm just not sure what benefit the GV app for the phone gets you, other than placing calls?

if you removed the google voice app then you need your contacts 406 numbers to send sms from your phone and i do not want to mix sms with my email, to messy

jazzbassnick

Reaction score
the SMS messages I got included the original Caller ID, but I had it set to pass the original called ID in my GV settings.

jazzbassnick

Reaction score
Nah - I'm sure it's me not understanding your issue.

I thought it was:
Caller calls you>Gets routed to your GV #>Leaves a message>It takes 5 mins to refresh that you got a message

All I was saying:
Caller calls me>Gets routed to my GV #>Leaves a message>I get an SMS right away from the caller's # they called me with.

I didn't see any GV numbers (mine or their's) in the SMS I received.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
Nah - I'm sure it's me not understanding your issue.

I thought it was:
Caller calls you>Gets routed to your GV #>Leaves a message>It takes 5 mins to refresh that you got a message

All I was saying:
Caller calls me>Gets routed to my GV #>Leaves a message>I get an SMS right away from the caller's # they called me with.

I didn't see any GV numbers (mine or their's) in the SMS I received.

I am talking about text messages sent to my gv number not voice mails

jwcooper

Reaction score
The only way to get fast notification(without using Vzw text plan) is to forward your texts to email. From email u can respond also. If u rely on GV app the fastest u can get is 5 min.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
The only way to get fast notification(without using Vzw text plan) is to forward your texts to email. From email u can respond also. If u rely on GV app the fastest u can get is 5 min.

That's actually not true and I will post some results of some tests I ran with a fellow member of this forum. We did some tests to see how long SMS messages took to get to my gv apparently on my phone under a few different circumstances. Will post the results tomorrow!

throbinskin

Reaction score
Would like to see results.... Very interested in Gvoice and want to see all this can do before I set mine up !!!
thank you in advance !