Google Voice SMS question

Jages16

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before but there is so much GV stuff out there, that I could be searchign forever....so I just started using GV for texting but have a question. When someone replies to my text, it goes to GV and also to the standard messaging app from a new number. Is there a way to have it not go to the default messaging app and just GV. I'm assuming if I reply in the standard messaging app then it's nor free through GV anymore correct? Thanks in advance!

JCo352

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before but there is so much GV stuff out there, that I could be searchign forever....so I just started using GV for texting but have a question. When someone replies to my text, it goes to GV and also to the standard messaging app from a new number. Is there a way to have it not go to the default messaging app and just GV. I'm assuming if I reply in the standard messaging app then it's nor free through GV anymore correct? Thanks in advance!

I'm not having this problem, but I think I know your problem. Go to google.com/voice, settings(top right corner), then go to "voicemail & sms", then uncheck "Send a text (SMS) message to: xxx-xxx-xxxx"

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
That only is for calls. I have that unchecked as I don't want a text for that either. There has to be a way to turn this off though as it defeats the purpose of free SMS through GV. Anyone???

OP
J

Jages16

Reaction score
I see somethign under phones for settings that says "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)" That is checked, but I'm assuming it means it's able to receive SMS through GV.

JCo352

Reaction score
Well I don't know then, I don't get duplicates, just ones in GV.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered before but there is so much GV stuff out there, that I could be searchign forever....
This is precisely why we have so many duplicate threads here. If you don't have luck with the DroidForums.net search function then don't overlook using Google and restricting it to this site. Learning to fish benefits you far more than having other hand you fish.

For example, with this topic, I'd use these keywords:
Let me google that for you

First hit has a thread with your answer. :D

I'm not having this problem, but I think I know your problem. Go to google.com/voice, settings(top right corner), then go to "voicemail & sms", then uncheck "Send a text (SMS) message to: xxx-xxx-xxxx"
Close, but not quite. That's for SMS notification of voicemail messages. SMS forwarding settings can be found under:

Settings->Phones. Hit the Edit button for your phone and uncheck Receive SMS on this phone.

I see somethign under phones for settings that says "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)" That is checked, but I'm assuming it means it's able to receive SMS through GV.
Nope. That means "forward SMS to my phone". That's exactly what you're looking for. The GV app receives SMS regardless of whether this is checked or not.

searayman

Reaction score
there is an option on the google voice website to turn off texts commign to phone. If you can not find it either look harder or open your messaging app on your phone and just turn off the notifications, that what i do

TekHawk

Reaction score

@OP

that is how you fix it the GV APP get the messages you do not want it sending the messages to your cell number uncheck the box to send to your cell use the GV App made by Google and you will not get two messages

I stand corrected

Close, but not quite. That's for SMS notification of voicemail messages. SMS forwarding settings can be found under:

Settings->Phones. Hit the Edit button for your phone and uncheck Receive SMS on this phone.