Google Voice Question

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a Google Voice number. If I get a google voice number, will people only be able to call me from the voice number? Or will my carrier issued number still function?

LocoRon

Reaction score
They both will work.

You will have to setup your Google Voice to forward to whatever carrier issued number you want to receive GV calls on (I think you can set up to five lines).

You can still just use your base number, for whatever reason.

Just be sure not to port your number over.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GV voicemail is the only feature that will work with your carrier number. For that reason, my GV number is the only number I use. That allows me to use all of GV's features for any caller.

OP
R
Reaction score
GV voicemail is the only feature that will work with your carrier number. For that reason, my GV number is the only number I use. That allows me to use all of GV's features for any caller.

So if people call my carrier issued number, will google voice intercept it or something? Or will my phone ring as normal?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

melissapugs

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there - google voice is unlimited itself, but does use minutes off your phone plan. I am on Virgin with only 300 minutes (but unlimited data, all for $25), so google wasn't viable option - but anything else wifi is. I went with skype: $3 a month to call any number (not just skype - can call mobile and landlines anywhere in the US) and additional $3 per month for a number people can direct dial to call me on skype via my phone. Ended up costing less than the next minute plan up on Virgin - 1200 minutes for $40. Also, saw something on vonage mobile - $20 per month for unlimited worldwide calling. No idea if that uses minutes, which skype does not.

ss13

Reaction score
I use google voice on my TB. I get calls from both numbers and I make calls outgoing from both numbers. There is a great app called Voice Choice that you can choose which numbers get called from which number, or you can have the phone prompt you when you call. It does use the carrier network for all calls, as previously stated. I say get a GV number, and play around with the settings before telling everyone your new number, or porting another number to it.

tennvol

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there - google voice is unlimited itself, but does use minutes off your phone plan. I am on Virgin with only 300 minutes (but unlimited data, all for $25), so google wasn't viable option - but anything else wifi is. I went with skype: $3 a month to call any number (not just skype - can call mobile and landlines anywhere in the US) and additional $3 per month for a number people can direct dial to call me on skype via my phone. Ended up costing less than the next minute plan up on Virgin - 1200 minutes for $40. Also, saw something on vonage mobile - $20 per month for unlimited worldwide calling. No idea if that uses minutes, which skype does not.

Unless you add your GV number to your friends and favorites and then use a dialer app. Doing it this way makes GV calls free. Although you will lose the ability to tell who is calling since your GV number would come up on caller id

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

melissapugs

Reaction score

Unless you add your GV number to your friends and favorites and then use a dialer app. Doing it this way makes GV calls free. Although you will lose the ability to tell who is calling since your GV number would come up on caller id

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums
didn't mention that I'm on virgin mobile- no favorites, so it wasn't possible.

horsenbuggy

Reaction score
I'm confused. I have a google voice number that have not really been using yet. But I want to follow this idea that you can't use it through your data connection. On my home pc, I can go to the google chat or google talk page and call a land line through my internet connection as if I were doing a video conference but have no camera just a mic. Are you saying I can't do that from my wi fi connection of my phone? Why not?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App

melissapugs

Reaction score
I'm confused. I have a google voice number that have not really been using yet. But I want to follow this idea that you can't use it through your data connection. On my home pc, I can go to the google chat or google talk page and call a land line through my internet connection as if I were doing a video conference but have no camera just a mic. Are you saying I can't do that from my wi fi connection of my phone? Why not?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using DroidForums App

Sorry for any confusion - yes, you can use google voice over wifi or data plan. However, without the further implementation of porting as described previously in this thread, and aside from adding the google number to your favorites mobile minute plan: Google voice uses your phone minutes, even over wifi.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if people call my carrier issued number, will google voice intercept it or something?
No. Using your GV voicemail with your carrier number is a matter of setting up conditional call forwarding. Calls to your carrier number ring normally. If you don't answer or your phone is busy, etc, calls are forwarded to your GV number. GV knows your phone number and sends those forwarded calls to its voicemail.

Google doesn't have the power to intercept phone calls.

You're confusing 2 things. F&F/Dialer App is for outbound calls. It has no effect on inbound calls.

For inbound calls they way you're describing you have to change the GV settings to set all incoming calls so they display your GV number (as well as have your GV number in F&F as you stated).

On my home pc, I can go to the google chat or google talk page and call a land line through my internet connection as if I were doing a video conference but have no camera just a mic. Are you saying I can't do that from my wi fi connection of my phone? Why not?
For one thing, Google Talk and Google Voice are entirely different products. Why can't my blender toast my sliced bread? :wink:

GV on your device is not a VOIP solution. Calls are handled via your carrier's voice network.

Sorry for any confusion - yes, you can use google voice over wifi or data plan. However, without the further implementation of porting as described previously in this thread, and aside from adding the google number to your favorites mobile minute plan: Google voice uses your phone minutes, even over wifi.
Porting and F&F have nothing to do with using GV over data.

You need a VOIP solution used in conjunction with GV if you want to place GV calls via data.

Last edited: