Google Voice app voicemail question

myk.robinson

Reaction score
Hello, Droid virgin here..
I have a Google Voice account, and I use the GV phone number for my small business. Of course I also have a phone number provided by the carrier that I use for personal calls.

There is an option in the Google Voice menu that I do not understand with regards to voicemail. That option is to "Activate Google Voicemail for This Phone". The instructions it gives suggests that Google Voice will then handle ALL voice mail.
Is this true? What I would like is to be able to have my business greeting and Google voicemail when callers call the GV number, and my Verizon personal greeting when someone calls the dedicated cell number.

Any advice on how to properly achieve this? I haven't activated that setting because i'm not exactly sure how its going to work.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

-myk
Kingdom Computer Solutions | ...real solutions for real people

thistle

Reaction score
Yes, if you select this option GV will handle voicemail for your mobile number as well.

I don't believe you can set a greeting based on the number called but you can easily do it based on groups. Just add the contacts you expect to call your personal number to a group, create a greeting for them, and set it under groups. You can set the default greeting for everyone else. I do pretty much the same thing, different greetings for coworkers, default, and friends.

OP
myk.robinson

myk.robinson

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. One more question, if I may...
We are coming over from AT&T/iPhones nd historically had GV voicemails transcribed and sent to email.
With the Droid, do I get automatically notified if there is a GV voice mail,? I guess what I'm asking is do I need to disabled the email option for voicemail transcriptions now?

Thanks again,
-myk
Kingdom Computer Solutions | ...real solutions for real people

thistle

Reaction score
Assuming you install one of the GV apps, yes, you can get automatically notified in the standard ways - alert tone, vibrate, led - if you want. You don't have to disable transcription forwarding for this to happen. Both are possible simultaneously. But if you were only doing it to get notified then it's not necessary.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
with google voice is there a number you can give people that will put callers straight to voicemail

JamesX

Reaction score
Google Voice's voice-mail is just your phone forwarding the call to its voice mail handler. It doesn't intercept the call and handles it on its own.

It will cost you minutes just as any forwarded call.

The App's notification isn't pushed like GMail. So you should probably either set it as 5 minute check interval, or you can have Google Voice send e-mail notifications to your GMail Account.

Last edited:

PsychoDroid

Reaction score
You can also set it so that calls coming into Google Voice don't ring after hours or on weekends if you want. Great for vacations! Nothing like business calls while on the beach with your family. :p

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
all i have is google voicemail really like having it but i would like there to be a way during certain times to forward certain contacts straight to voicemail.. i am new to this whole thing. i would like to be able on weekends and vacations to tell gvm to take these calls straight to voicemail.. anyone know if this is possible or can i set up my phone to do this?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
all i have is google voicemail really like having it but i would like there to be a way during certain times to forward certain contacts straight to voicemail.. i am new to this whole thing. i would like to be able on weekends and vacations to tell gvm to take these calls straight to voicemail.. anyone know if this is possible or can i set up my phone to do this?

Go into the Google Voice app on your phone. If you have the contact in your inbox of text messages, you can long press their name and go to View <Contact Name>. On the next screen hit your soft 'menu' button (left of your home button) and select Options. Check Incoming calls box which says 'Send calls directly to voicemail.' I'm sure there is away to do the same thing within the web application, but this would be the way to go if you are out on the beach.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is an option in the Google Voice menu that I do not understand with regards to voicemail. That option is to "Activate Google Voicemail for This Phone". The instructions it gives suggests that Google Voice will then handle ALL voice mail.
Is this true? What I would like is to be able to have my business greeting and Google voicemail when callers call the GV number, and my Verizon personal greeting when someone calls the dedicated cell number.
If you want people calling your Verizon number to get your Verizon voicemail greeting then it doesn't make sense to use GV for voicemail on your Verizon number. That said, you can have greetings for groups and contacts:
Customizing greetings and settings for contacts and contact groups : Contacts - Google Voice Help

with google voice is there a number you can give people that will put callers straight to voicemail
No but you can set contacts (or all calls) to go straight to voicemail.

If contacts aren't calling you via your GV number (sounds like it might be the case since you mention that you only use GV for voicemail) then GV can't handle inbound calls for you. Additionally, I'm not sure of any way to do exactly what you're looking for.

The earlier reply to your post would be something you'd have to manually set for each contact that you want to go straight to voicemail (and manually undo each time you want to receive calls from them). There's a Do Not Disturb setting but that sends all calls to voicemail.

Last edited: