voicemail access woes (verizon coupled with google voice)

alephzero

Reaction score
Greetings all -

I have been enjoying the use of my D2 now for some time - but for all the research I've done, I still have a bit of an issue with voicemail management which I'm sure is user error...

Anyway, what I'm running into is this:

I have my normal verizon number bound to my phone as well as my google voice account. The problem comes from when I receive a voicemail sent either to to my verizon account OR my google voice, I have no way of checking it - when I try dialing *86 to access my voicemail, it goes to my google voice account and I cannot check my voicemail from there. If I try to dial my verizon number to check it in that manner, it goes again to my google voice number and I'm stuck in the same situation.

If I goto another phone, and dial my verizon number, and then type in my voicemail code, then I can access it, but that is hardly convenient.

What am I doing wrong? How do you guys handle this situation; surely someone else has this issue too.

Thanks for any input!

harrellj

Reaction score
Do you have the GV app installed? And do you have the phone set to use GV as your voicemail provider (and GV set as well to grab VZW's voicemail)?

OP
A

alephzero

Reaction score
I ended up re-installing google voice and that seemed to do the trick (running thru the setup again). Thanks for the tip!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly were you trying to do? If correctly set up, VZW voicemail shouldn't pick up any calls. However, there are those that are set up to have only calls to their GV number roll over to GV voicemail while calls to their VZW number roll to VZW voicemail.

That said, a few of us have ended up with new voicemail on the VZW voicemail system. To check your VZW voicemail you have to disable conditional call forwarding (what you're actually doing when you "Activate GV voicemail for your phone") and then check your VZW voicemail (and re-enable conditional call forwarding after).