Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Aug 12, 2010

Today at Google’s office in San Francisco, the mobile team took the stage to unveil a couple new products. Hugo Barra, Google’s director of product management for mobile kicked off things by noting that we’re entering the mobile supercomputing era. What he means by this is that thanks to computation in the cloud, modern mobile devices are actually more like supercomputers.

The first new feature Google showed off was the ability to send text messages with your Android phone completely with your voice. This is a part of Google’s new Voice Action feature in their Voice Search application which is available starting today for Android phones. It’s awesome — but that’s not the only voice action.

Another feature is the ability to call any business in Google Search. This does not have to be a company in your local contacts area — it can be any business.

techcrunch.com

brando56894

Reaction score
Sounds pretty sweet, Ive never been a big fan of speech to text because its way off half the time and takes more time to get something "typed" correctly as opposed to typing it up with your fingers.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
[video=youtube;gGbYVvU0Z5s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbYVvU0Z5s&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Introducing Voice Actions for Android[/video]

Hiroller173

Reaction score
Got message "Package file not signed correctly" trying to install on CM6 RC2.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Got message "Package file not signed correctly" trying to install on CM6 RC2.

Google have released Voice Actions and an updated Quick Search Box for Froyo devices, detailed here.

Unfortunately they are only in the US market, and also can have issues depending on the signing configuration on your ROM.

So I've put some downloads up.
smile.gif

TRY THIS VERSION FIRST.

APKs with original signing - DOWNLOAD - MD5: b8eb69533a7c1492e2ca276b3f07a734

TRY THIS VERSION IF YOU GET 'INSTALLATION UNSUCCESSFUL':

APKs with test signing - DOWNLOAD - MD5: fa19f4889b408381b7f3a78376709161

Enjoy, and remember this is for Froyo only!

Google Voice Actions / updated Quick Search Box APKs (original / testsigned) - Android @ MoDaCo

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is working much better then I thought it would..

Same, I'm really astounded by how well it works. I hope they enable tying it with other apps like twitter or facebook or something.

arw01

Reaction score
It's doing a bad job getting my contact names. just puts it into the message instead of picking who the message is going go. However, the voice recognition is WAY better than it was!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got both working and moved them to the System, thanks for this

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's doing a bad job getting my contact names. just puts it into the message instead of picking who the message is going go. However, the voice recognition is WAY better than it was!

Yeah it's having a hard time picking up my last name. It's ok if you only have one contact with their name but once you have two or more it gets a little difficult.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's having a hard time picking up my last name. It's ok if you only have one contact with their name but once you have two or more it gets a little difficult.
If you just just say "text" the text box pops up, then tap the "to" box and another Voice Prompt comes up, then say (Your Contact) and then you tap the voice icon in the message box and say your message

It works pretty good, still a lot of screen contact, I am going to try it with my Jawbone when I get home