Google refunding for in-app purchases

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google-Play-Store-1.png

We all remember the story that came out about parents noticing a high credit card bill as a result of games having in-app purchases. As a result Google changed the settings in the Play Store to allow for users to prompt for a password either every time or after 30 minutes.

Dear Google Play customer,

We strive to provide you with the best experience possible across all of our products and services. We take pride in giving you the tools to use Google Play the way you want, including the ability to control how you authorize the purchases on your account.

We understand some parents might have been charged for in-app purchases made by young children who did not have permission to make those purchases. As a result, we’ve added tools to help parents avoid unauthorized in-app purchases by their young children. We are also offering refunds in certain cases in line with our agreement with the FTC.

Our records show that your account was previously charged for in-app purchases. If any of those charges were the result of unauthorized purchases by a minor between March 1, 2011, and November 18, 2014, and you haven’t already received a refund for those charges, you might be eligible for a refund.

In order to make the refund process as easy and quick as possible, we encourage you to use the link below.

To submit a refund request:

• Use this link to sign into your Google account and review your in-app purchase history.
  • Select any in-app purchases that were unauthorized purchases made by a minor and click "Refund."
  • Provide the requested information for any in-app purchases selected and click "Submit."
Google will review your request and contact you via email about your refund status or if we have any additional questions. All refund requests must be submitted no later than December 2, 2015.

If you have any questions or need further assistance with your refund request, please refer to this FAQ.

You can learn more about in-app purchases and parental controls in Google Play on our Help Center.

Thank you,
The Google Play Team

Here is a statement from Google as well as a link for a refund.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Just got that in email...

b737a60073a7a2d82701ce566e0a5fed.jpg

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Me too!

sent from my sexy Note 4

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I don't have said email..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've made several in app purchases in the last year... But i had my account locked down.. So it couldn't accidentally happen.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, they only refund under $5 purchases, anything above and you are sol.

Valvoline

Reaction score
Don't worry, they only refund under $5 purchases, anything above and you are sol.
link?
hmmm. are you sure? they offered to refund my 14.99 in-app game purchase....

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nice, they only let me request refunds for under $5 purchases, everything above was greyed out.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I didn't have any in app purchases that I felt were in any way fraudulent or unrequested so of course I didn't submit a request for any kind of refund. And like someone earlier said, there are people out there that will abuse this. I hope they can sleep comfortably at night knowing that they're defrauding people of money that they rightfully earned.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Valvoline

Reaction score
Out of about 20 purchases myself and my sons made, this was the only 'unauthorized' one. (Who charges $15 for a game anyway?!?) I actually tried to get a refund for it two years ago which was denied. I wasn't holding my breath for this refund, but was pleasantly surprised to find it in my mailbox this week.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
If this was Verizon giving refunds, I would glady max that out!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
They wouldn't refund the two freemium charges my son made but they did cut me a pair of checks.