Google Sued By Mother After Her Son Makes $66 of In-App Purchases in Marvel Game

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And when one of your clumsy kids drops it because they have no concept of how much $600 costs, don't expect any sympathy...

Get them someone else, something cheap to play with, not a fragile $600 pocket computer that you likely need for work. ;-)

When you have kids otter box is the first accessory you buy and install before leaving the store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

acousticshade

Reaction score
If everything in the video is true it looks like: 1. Google is going to pay 2. This is a money grab by her, possibly saw the Apple case and how it played out 3. This sucks, now I will have to put my password in for every purchase rather than having a grace period where I remain logged in....all because some people aren't responsible or can't watch their kids.

That's a lot of work for a few bucks. Oh wait-I forgot the pain & suffering associated with losing $66.00! OH THE ANGUISH!!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think this is just going to go away. Google will refund her the $70 bucks probably agree to split the cost of lawyer and court fees (if it went that far which I think it didnt if she got a smart lawyer he threatened Google with a letter and then shared the info to various media outlets to put pressure on Google), Google will update their play store to fix the issue (they did last night) and life will go on. Regardless of how we may feel Google have to take in account the feeling of the general public and you can bet there are parents who are not tech savy who saw that story and went into panic mode. Google's bread and butter is their play store in fact they almost treat it like Walmart as far as customer service (customer is always right). They want people to feel good about going there not just for apps but eventually music, movies and tv shows, and devices. If people get the creepies about a free app then it could keep them from buying anything else. Companies that stay in business long understands that you do not let a $5 decision (in the case a $70) keep you from making billions.

So I do not see Google playing hard ball here. Apple on the other hand would have already spent that money and just have one of their techs give the sympathetic "I am sorry and wish there was something else I could do but it is beyond my control". But Apple being the larger and more lucrative store can do that.