Google disabling use of pre-paid cards on google wallet

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Google should have a way to disable the wallet app through the online Google account, that way even if you lose your phone you can protect your money through a pc.. I do agree that it is safer then a regular wallet, if someone try's to pick pocket you they will most likely grab your wallet and not your phone..

GoBears

Reaction score
Haha the prepaid card is the only way I would even consider using Wallet. So I guess I might as well just uninstall it now.

jerroedr

Reaction score
so even if you have the free 10 bucks they are taking that away?

wolstonc

Reaction score
It still lets me pay with the card but won't deduct funds from it...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
Ug, dammit. Wallet is useless now.

View attachment 47337

Yup, to bad Google just disabled the prepaid card like that. Glad I didn't load any funds on that card or I would be pissed. Not good. Reality is that this type of payment method is still beta. Very cool but beta none the less and can obviously not be relied upon.

mauzydpt

Reaction score
Called Google and they aren't getting rid of the pre paid cards, they should be back up and working early next week.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
IMHO, people are so fearful nowadays that they don't make rational decision anymore. We went through a period of where people were afraid of online shopping because online credit card fraud. And look at where online shopping its now. People just need to be educated on how to use thing and what they need to do to safe guard themselves. Like don't buy from sites that look fishy. Don't download apk files from sites that you don't know. Lock you phone. But if you don't want to its fine to but don't say you didn't know.

I have never lost my phone or my wallet BUT some how my credit card info was captured by crooks last year when I was in Miami. I was prepared though because I have one credit card I use for travels. And only use that card when I am eating at not so establish place, local shops etc...and the limit is not high. But that goes to show you that your credit card info can and will be taken from you no matter if you lose you phone/ or wallet or not.

There people on other forums and blog asking" why would you want to have your credit card info on your phone? " This reminds me of the "why would I want a cell phone question way back in the days. they want to talk to me they can call the house". But now home phone is rare.

jeremym

Reaction score
Back up now. I just used mine at best buy.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMHO, people are so fearful nowadays that they don't make rational decision anymore. We went through a period of where people were afraid of online shopping because online credit card fraud. And look at where online shopping its now. People just need to be educated on how to use thing and what they need to do to safe guard themselves. Like don't buy from sites that look fishy. Don't download apk files from sites that you don't know. Lock you phone. But if you don't want to its fine to but don't say you didn't know.

I have never lost my phone or my wallet BUT some how my credit card info was captured by crooks last year when I was in Miami. I was prepared though because I have one credit card I use for travels. And only use that card when I am eating at not so establish place, local shops etc...and the limit is not high. But that goes to show you that your credit card info can and will be taken from you no matter if you lose you phone/ or wallet or not.

There people on other forums and blog asking" why would you want to have your credit card info on your phone? " This reminds me of the "why would I want a cell phone question way back in the days. they want to talk to me they can call the house". But now home phone is rare.

Agreed.

An odd fact, I also had my CC info stolen in Miami last year. Maybe we went to the same restaurant with the shady employee.

We're always vulnerable to theft, the point is to protect yourself by using CC companies that alert you when odd payments are made and thinking ahead about protecting yourself.

People will warm up to Google Wallet, it's no different than using a credit card. It's just foreign to people right now so they're afraid of what it may result in.

Reaction score
Hmm, this is weird......Just got this mail from Google! Any of you guys get the same mail??

Hi *********,

Currently, the only official phone for Google Wallet is the Nexus S 4G on
Sprint.

Unauthorized operating systems or rooted devices may have limited or
compromised functionality, even if they're no longer rooted. These device
configurations are not supported by Google Wallet as they may expose
security risks. We strongly discourage use of the Google Wallet app on
such devices. Have an nice day!

Sincerely,

Mike
The Google Wallet Team

thesoldier

Reaction score
Now when I go to add a prepaid card, I get this instead. It starts adding it and says please wait, then gives an error.

???

Reaction score
what a shame.. i liked using mine and still think the prepay card is the safe way