Good earbuds for Droid

TheOldFart

Reaction score
this is the last time i will say it. YES, there are exceptions to the rule, but you can only do so much with so little. small speakers cannot produce as much bass, or be as efficient as a bigger speaker. YES, there can be more to it than that, but generally speaking bigger speakers means bigger sound. in the end there is no replacement for displacement. just like cars, sure in some cases a smaller engine can make more power, but usually this is not the case. if this wasn't the case then there would not be big speakers. end of discussion.

As far as I know, you are not the one who decides when a discussion ends. You can keep your mouth shut if you like, but you don't tell me or anyone else when we have to stop.

From your comments, it is obvious that you know little about audio. I have a pretty decent home stereo, not the best, but much better than most. It is a NAD CD player, a HeadAmp GS-1 class A headphone amp/preamp, a Parasound A-23 power amp and Role Audio Windjammer speakers and a M&K sub. I also have Bayerdynamic DT-880 headphones and Etymotic HF-5 earphones. I also have a bunch of other headphones, earbuds and earphones, including 2 pair of Sony that are the crappiest of the lot.

When it comes to soundstage, nothing can beat the stereo speaker setup. The depth and width of the soundstage are great. The smallest soundstage is with my HF-5 IEMs. The DT-880 are in the middle. When it comes to pure clarity of sound and hearing all that is in a complex recording, then the HF-5 win over the headphones and speakers. It is a tradeoff. I can hear detail with the IEMs that I don't notice with the speakers. They also isolate most of the sounds that are going around in the house, like my wife doing something or watching TV. I can use them while I work or move around the house or outdoors. I could also do the same with the Sonys that I have, but they sound like crap in comparison and don't have the sound isolation. By the way, I listen to mostly classical and jazz, with a little bit of rock, female vocals and new age thrown in.

Which would I rather listen too. Well, if it is quiet in the house and I want to do nothing except listen to music then it is the stereo system. They sound the most realistic, like a concert hall. However, that setup cost me over $4000. My iAudio 7 MP3 player and HF-5 IEMs cost me less than $200. There is no set of speakers and audio equipment for even $600 or $800 that can come close to the sound quality that I get out of that player and the IEMs. Even my CD player, headphone amp and DT-880 headphones cost over $1000. The total sound beats the $200 setup, but not by as much as one would think. My music is ripped to simple MP3-256 for the MP3 player.

By the way, bigger speakers don't mean better sound. They might result in louder sound, but I have heard some total garbage huge speakers. In general, smaller speakers and drivers result in better placement of the individual instruments on the soundstage.

tah

Reaction score
Maybe they're not buying them just for their droid? And incredibly ignorant opinions like, -- a set of 300 dollar headphones only being validated by 10k worth of equipment -- is a gross disservice too. You evidently don't know anything about the subject at hand. :icon_ devil:

Maybe they are buying them for their Droid. Look at the Thread Starter "Good Earbuds For Droid".

I don't think I'm "incredibly ignorant" either. I've been involved in hi-fi since 1974 after attending the Air Force's top electronic schools. We used to take our amps, speakers...etc into the electronics shops and conduct our own specifications testing. I also know specs only go so far, you still have to LIKE the way things sound.

Nowhere did I say that a purchase of $300 headphones were only "validated" by using $10,000 of audiophile gear. That was simply an example, much like the example you provided in your post of how NOT to talk to others.

jasonb

Reaction score
this is the last time i will say it. YES, there are exceptions to the rule, but you can only do so much with so little. small speakers cannot produce as much bass, or be as efficient as a bigger speaker. YES, there can be more to it than that, but generally speaking bigger speakers means bigger sound. in the end there is no replacement for displacement. just like cars, sure in some cases a smaller engine can make more power, but usually this is not the case. if this wasn't the case then there would not be big speakers. end of discussion.

As far as I know, you are not the one who decides when a discussion ends. You can keep your mouth shut if you like, but you don't tell me or anyone else when we have to stop.

From your comments, it is obvious that you know little about audio. I have a pretty decent home stereo, not the best, but much better than most. It is a NAD CD player, a HeadAmp GS-1 class A headphone amp/preamp, a Parasound A-23 power amp and Role Audio Windjammer speakers and a M&K sub. I also have Bayerdynamic DT-880 headphones and Etymotic HF-5 earphones. I also have a bunch of other headphones, earbuds and earphones, including 2 pair of Sony that are the crappiest of the lot.

When it comes to soundstage, nothing can beat the stereo speaker setup. The depth and width of the soundstage are great. The smallest soundstage is with my HF-5 IEMs. The DT-880 are in the middle. When it comes to pure clarity of sound and hearing all that is in a complex recording, then the HF-5 win over the headphones and speakers. It is a tradeoff. I can hear detail with the IEMs that I don't notice with the speakers. They also isolate most of the sounds that are going around in the house, like my wife doing something or watching TV. I can use them while I work or move around the house or outdoors. I could also do the same with the Sonys that I have, but they sound like crap in comparison and don't have the sound isolation. By the way, I listen to mostly classical and jazz, with a little bit of rock, female vocals and new age thrown in.

Which would I rather listen too. Well, if it is quiet in the house and I want to do nothing except listen to music then it is the stereo system. They sound the most realistic, like a concert hall. However, that setup cost me over $4000. My iAudio 7 MP3 player and HF-5 IEMs cost me less than $200. There is no set of speakers and audio equipment for even $600 or $800 that can come close to the sound quality that I get out of that player and the IEMs. Even my CD player, headphone amp and DT-880 headphones cost over $1000. The total sound beats the $200 setup, but not by as much as one would think. My music is ripped to simple MP3-256 for the MP3 player.

By the way, bigger speakers don't mean better sound. They might result in louder sound, but I have heard some total garbage huge speakers. In general, smaller speakers and drivers result in better placement of the individual instruments on the soundstage.

ok.......... maybe i was out of line for saying "end of discussion" but i just don't completely agree. it's not that you are wrong, but people prefer different sound. i do know quite a bit about audio. i may not be rich and have the most expensive equipment but i do know quite a bit about audio. my equipment for the most part is pretty modest, but everything is in the proper place and EQed correctly. anybody that hears any of the setups i have built agrees that i know what i am doing. i setup my whole HT/stereo system by myself. i also built a complete car audio setup by myself, including custom mounting and aiming my tweeters. my mids and tweeters are also run active and are on a ton of power. i also build/customize my own subwoofer boxes. both my car and home theater setup have been tuned with an RTA and then tweaked by ear. so don't try to tell me i know nothing about audio. audio is all about compromises, one thing always effects another, but i do prefer bigger speakers over smaller ones in general. bigger speakers are usually (but not always) more dynamic and more efficient.

Last edited:

fr4c

Reaction score
Well this thread got out of hand real quick. Seems like we got some opinionated audiophiles in here. May I suggest Head-Fi.org to finish the bickering :)

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Well this thread got out of hand real quick. Seems like we got some opinionated audiophiles in here. May I suggest Head-Fi.org to finish the bickering :)

This thread started out as asking for recommendations for good earbuds for the Droid and that is what was being discussed in the first 3 or so pages of responses. Now I don't know if the OP meant just earbuds or if he was interested in all in ear earphones. However, he did not ask about large headphones or the biggest speakers. I simply responded to the recommendation that anything that is big has better sound than any in ear earphone and that he should go that way, which I still think is completely wrong. Perhaps it depends on whether the listener wants to replicate the sound of a symphony orchestra or jazz quartet or whether he wants to replicate the sound of a 120 dB rock concert. The fact remains that bigger, while it does usually equal louder, does not mean better sound quality. The other fact remains that the OP asked about earphones and not large headphones or speakers and I was not the one to originally go off of the OP's topic.

Stormwing

Reaction score
If you make a trip over to Beach Audio: Compare, Review & Buy - Audio Accessories, Car Audio, Portable Audio, Home Theater, & more! though, they are selling it for 33.99 + 4 dollars shipping within the continental US. Plus the Warrenty still holds true so if anything happens you can contact Zagg for a replacement without any troubles.
Did you get yours from here? I've noticed that there are like 3 editions of zbuds:
Oldest- chrome chamber option, separate mic and volume control, straight jack
Previous- black chamber only, separate mic and volume control, straight jack
Current- black chamber only, mic/volume control seems to be combined (or at least a new design), L-shaped jack

I'm hoping the ones beachaudio has are the current ones. Also, has anyone tried the Nuforce Ne-7m with the Droid?

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
Great Conversation

OK, I started off with a pair of the Bose inner ear. Not enough volume on a plane to drown out babies and engine noise for me. Also, my ears must be deformed because I could never get them to fit with those ear gels. None of the sizes worked for anything.

Also, I used the headphones for both an iPod and my mobile.

Currently, for wired headphones, I use these Klipsch X5's:

Image X5 Headphones - Affordable, In Ear Headphones, Stereo Headphones, Earphones, Earbuds - Free Shipping - 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Overview

Bought them at an airport kiosk when I couldn't take the Bose anymore. Used them with my BB Storm and now my Droid/iPod Classic. Excellent. Won't look back.

For stereo bluetooth headsets, I use these Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980's:

Sony Ericsson - Products - Accessories - Overview - HBH-DS980

Great sound and battery life AND they fit my ears nicely. So these are my headphones of choice for now and between the two, not much else I need. I did try the Shure's, and they are nice, but in making a price:performance:value ratio, it didn't seem financially sound for me. And the sound difference was beyond neglible. Very pleased.

mightym

Reaction score
OK, I started off with a pair of the Bose inner ear. Not enough volume on a plane to drown out babies and engine noise for me. Also, my ears must be deformed because I could never get them to fit with those ear gels. None of the sizes worked for anything.

Also, I used the headphones for both an iPod and my mobile.

Currently, for wired headphones, I use these Klipsch X5's:

Image X5 Headphones - Affordable, In Ear Headphones, Stereo Headphones, Earphones, Earbuds - Free Shipping - 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Overview

Bought them at an airport kiosk when I couldn't take the Bose anymore. Used them with my BB Storm and now my Droid/iPod Classic. Excellent. Won't look back.

For stereo bluetooth headsets, I use these Sony Ericsson HBH-DS980's:

Sony Ericsson - Products - Accessories - Overview - HBH-DS980

Great sound and battery life AND they fit my ears nicely. So these are my headphones of choice for now and between the two, not much else I need. I did try the Shure's, and they are nice, but in making a price:performance:value ratio, it didn't seem financially sound for me. And the sound difference was beyond neglible. Very pleased.

You have got to tell me how the Ericsson are doing? Is it fully AVRCP compatible with the droid? Pause/play, fwd, back. Call answer/end? does it continue the playback of the music your listening once you ended a call with someone? Battery life? does it feel bulky around your neck? I have the bluetrek duo stereo headset similar to the ericsson, but their seems to be no way to pause/play fwd/back control it. Only volume up and down, answer call/end call. and redial the last number. Plus it hangs below your chest so it is better in that respect for me cause it's less crowded down there. And another plus is that you can swap the earbuds for whatever one you like to use,(the stock ones are good quality) or you can go mono and use it like a one ear setup.

Here is my product:

Bluetrek Duo Stereo Bluetooth Headset Review - Car Tech Reviews - TrustedReviews

moozicmon

Reaction score
Hands down best value for your money are the Klipsch Image S4 earphones. You are getting comparable sound quality compared to ear-buds costing almost three times as much.

Klipsch Image S4 earphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

*Disclaimer-If you are an audiophile, then of course you won't be impressed because they are too cheap to actually be capable of producing stellar audio //sarcasm :dry:

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
You have got to tell me how the Ericsson are doing? Doing VERY well, thank you for asking!

Is it fully AVRCP compatible with the droid? Yes

Pause/play-Yes

fwd, back-Track, yes. Never tried to ff/rew. Never had a need to. Will need to do so.

Call answer/end? Yes

does it continue the playback of the music your listening once you ended a call with someone? Yes

Battery life? Very good.

does it feel bulky around your neck? Not in the least.

cb2000a

Reaction score
I bought some Skullcandy FMJ's (Full Metal Jackets) from Amazon for $22 (reg around $70) and they are awesome. They are the 11mm model with bass down to 16 hz (your brain will shake). The Droid has very good sound quality with a good set of earbuds/headphones.