Going from Liberty GB to CM7

havens1515

Reaction score
When loading this I got an error something like this...

blah blah blah
Installing RADIO
error (Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I tried it the update.zip way and install from sd card way. Was getting that error no matter what. So I stayed in CMR the whole time thinking of what to do. Then I flashed the monster GB leak and same thing happened.

I then went back to flashing the CM7 file and still got the error. So I just rebooted and everything seems fine. Radio works fine. Any ideas?

I've seen other people have this error too, and from what I can tell it doesn't really cause any issues. If you see that you have problems with phone calls or any of the other wireless radios, you may want to wipe and install again though.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
When loading this I got an error something like this...

blah blah blah
Installing RADIO
error (Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I tried it the update.zip way and install from sd card way. Was getting that error no matter what. So I stayed in CMR the whole time thinking of what to do. Then I flashed the monster GB leak and same thing happened.

I then went back to flashing the CM7 file and still got the error. So I just rebooted and everything seems fine. Radio works fine. Any ideas?

I've seen other people have this error too, and from what I can tell it doesn't really cause any issues. If you see that you have problems with phone calls or any of the other wireless radios, you may want to wipe and install again though.

I got the error and just installed google apps and rebooted and all was fine. I think that's what's getting some people confused. I was waiting for it because I read people stating it would happen.. but just act like it said install complete and go...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

nhugh406

Reaction score
i have looked and looked and looked. just a basic/simple question (and possibly a stupid one), will this method work on the droid x as well?

havens1515

Reaction score
You may want to go to the Droid X forums and ask there. Personally, I would advise against these all-in-one zips anyways. I've seen A LOT of people having problems after using them. Simplest way to KNOW you won't have problems:

1) sbf
2) re-root
3) re-bootstrap
4) wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache
5) install latest nightly

nhugh406

Reaction score
thank you for the link and the advice. guess i'll be trying CM soon! dancedroid

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
You may want to go to the Droid X forums and ask there. Personally, I would advise against these all-in-one zips anyways. I've seen A LOT of people having problems after using them. Simplest way to KNOW you won't have problems:

1) sbf
2) re-root
3) re-bootstrap

People have more SBF issues than the all-in-one installer. I'd like to know where "A LOT" of these people are that are having issues with the all-in-one installer. I've only seen one person have issues but that's just from them not following the instructions correctly.

CM7... it's what James Bond never had.

C_BlazE

Reaction score
The all in one installer works wonderfully, thanks swagger for the post. I have done this my self and well as advise others to use it with out a hickup. The "all in one installer" was made to go from a GB based rom to Froyo. The installer first replaces kernels then installs a Beta build of CM7 which has a lower success rate then a nightly. Ignore the radio error, There is no need to boot the update.zip (the cm7 test zip), the directions tell you to prepare all you zips and put them on your SD before the process. After flashing Wipe everything and install the latest build (which you download and placed on the sd card prior to any of this) and then wipe everything again and install the gapps.zip(which you download and placed on the sd card prior to any of this) . Then reboot the system and enjoy :)

If I am wrong in anyway, let me know.

C_BlazE

Reaction score
It doesn't actually have to be called "update.zip". You can select "Choose zip from SD Card" and choose a zip with any name, so renaming is unnecessary.

The source of info, that I obtained my instructions from, clearly recommended doing it the "update.zip" way the first time flashing to CM7 from another ROM. After that, it's no longer required.

I have never named my zip file "update.zip" when installing ANY ROM, and I have never had any problems.
Going from Liberty GB based rom you dont "Install" what you are doing is fooling the phone to think its a OTA update being applied. You Dont do this with the nightly, you do this with the D2-CM7-Build7.zip once this is done your phone will accept the Install of a nightly build

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
The source of info, that I obtained my instructions from, clearly recommended doing it the "update.zip" way the first time flashing to CM7 from another ROM. After that, it's no longer required.

I have never named my zip file "update.zip" when installing ANY ROM, and I have never had any problems.
Going from Liberty GB based rom you dont "Install" what you are doing is fooling the phone to think its a OTA update being applied. You Dont do this with the nightly, you do this with the D2-CM7-Build7.zip once this is done your phone will accept the Install of a nightly build

Exactly. Thanks for clearing it up and doing a nice write-up of explaining the purpose of what it does. Nothing wrong with SBF'ing but if there is an easier, quicker way to do it without having to use your computer then why not do it that way? That's why I took the time to help others do it without SBF'ing.

havens1515

Reaction score

So what you're saying, is that when I first installed CM7, and I used a nightly to do it.... you're saying that's not possible? Because I did it.

And when you trick the phone into thinking an OTA is being applied... can you not consider that installing an update?

Trust me man, I know a lot more about this stuff than you think. All of these nightly builds include all of the information necessary to run your phone. They are not just incremental updates, they are an entire ROM. Each one just has small changes to it.

havens1515

Reaction score

1) sbf
2) re-root
3) re-bootstrap

People have more SBF issues than the all-in-one installer. I'd like to know where "A LOT" of these people are that are having issues with the all-in-one installer. I've only seen one person have issues but that's just from them not following the instructions correctly.

Anyone that is doing this kind of stuff should know how to sbf their phone anyways. If something goes wrong in the process, they should know that they can always fall back to sbf if necessary.

sbf is not as hard as most people think, and the more you do it, the less scary it is.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score

1) sbf
2) re-root
3) re-bootstrap

Anyone that is doing this kind of stuff should know how to sbf their phone anyways. If something goes wrong in the process, they should know that they can always fall back to sbf if necessary.

sbf is not as hard as most people think, and the more you do it, the less scary it is.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who jump into rooting, custom ROMs and other stuff without learning anything about SBF or even having it prepared for the day they should need it to get their phone back on track. But from my observation, people are getting the idea of the all-in-one installer easier and learning more more from that than SBF'ing. I can't help that. It's not made aware of more often. But why SBF back to Froyo if you don't need to? There are plenty of successful results to say it's safe to do it differently.

Like I said in the beginning, in another thread, 2 of my buddies tested it while I provided the instructions to them and they experienced no problem.... and still don't have any issues. If there were issues, do you think I would be posting instructions to mess up other user's phones?

No one, including myself, is forcing you to do it one way or another. People, like myself, try to find ways to contribute back to the Droid community for all the help, free stuff, and free ROMs that were developed and provided to us.

Last edited:

nhugh406

Reaction score
well, i figured i'd check back and just shed some light. the instructions worked to a T! i'm currently running cm7 without a hitch. just to clarify, i did NOT use the sbf method, rather the all-in-1 method. thanks for all the help, now i'll go over to the area i'm supposed to be in. lol

thanks again!

steelhart1

Reaction score
Very helpful. Thank you VERY much for the instructions as well as the clarification on what was going on. I knew a little about what this was doing, but now I know more... and knowing is half the battle. ;)

And yes, SBFing is very scary at first, but once you do it, it gets less and less scary. But hey, a way to do it without SBF? I think we may be on to something here... ;)