Gnex reception and date issue

g_what

Reaction score
My brother has a GNex. He is not as tech savvy as I am, so I try to help him out when I can (update his rom, troubleshoot issues, etc.). It's a bit difficult because I live in Texas and he goes to school in North Carolina. Long story short, he is having problems with his phone. He is having issues where the phone will not have any signal at all (literally can't make calls or text or anything). It is not the area he is in because I visited him and had zero issues with my GNex. His phone also says it is December 31, 1999. I found a few threads from a quick Google search describing similar issues, although it seems to be a variety of phones having the issue (Its not december 31st 1999 again is it? and Extremely strange boot issue with AOKP M4 and No phone/data, radio off -- help! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com). This must be some Samsung issue. He had the problem while running stock 4.0.2. Verizon sent him a ‘certified like new’ replacement and that was okay for a few days, then he had the issue again. I put him on Tranquil Ice 4.0.4 and that fixed the issue for a few days, then it came back. This has all been within the last couple of months.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone has previously heard of this and/or know how to fix it? All of the threads I noted above seem to have died and have not resolved the issue.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

(in case you are wondering, I have a GNex running Junk with no serious issues and I'm loving it)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
He he bought it off someone recommend he flash it to out of the box state and send it to samsung to repair (still has 1 year warranty). If he bought it from vzw have him exchange it. And if he is not tech savy I would suggest he check out the forums here or our sister site: Galaxy Nexus Support Forum so he can learn. But I had similar issues with my nexus and the new radios has helped me. Also I would recommend he get a new sim card from vzw.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Have you tried replacing the SIM card or swapping between a known good one (a phone that has the time synced properly)?

It's a shot in the dark but shouldn't hurt to try it. Sounds like the phone is not getting the time synced properly and is falling back to a default time.

Normally it syncs from the network time which is not provided by data but the radio signal itself. The only thing off the top of my head right now it is either a broken radio or corrupt SIM card.

I'm leaning more toward the circuit in the radio that syncs the time.

OP
g_what

g_what

Reaction score
Both phones were from Verizon.

I find it hard to believe that the hardware would mess up on two phones. It is possible, it just seems unlikely. I'm more inclined to believe a bad sim (especially since he had the problem on stock 4.0.2 and on a custom 4.0.4 rom with new radios). I'll tell him about that. I don't know if anyone with him has a Verizon LTE SIM, but I'll keep yall posted on anything he tries.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Any and all other ideas are welcome!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Both phones were from Verizon.

I find it hard to believe that the hardware would mess up on two phones. It is possible, it just seems unlikely. I'm more inclined to believe a bad sim (especially since he had the problem on stock 4.0.2 and on a custom 4.0.4 rom with new radios). I'll tell him about that. I don't know if anyone with him has a Verizon LTE SIM, but I'll keep yall posted on anything he tries.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Any and all other ideas are welcome!

Dont be surprised I went through 4 and swore up an down I would never buy another nexus and the people who says they not having data issues are just nexus myopians . But then my 5th nexus with new radios was much better.

MyDroid23

Reaction score
My brother has a GNex. He is not as tech savvy as I am, so I try to help him out when I can (update his rom, troubleshoot issues, etc.). It's a bit difficult because I live in Texas and he goes to school in North Carolina. Long story short, he is having problems with his phone. He is having issues where the phone will not have any signal at all (literally can't make calls or text or anything). It is not the area he is in because I visited him and had zero issues with my GNex. His phone also says it is December 31, 1999. I found a few threads from a quick Google search describing similar issues, although it seems to be a variety of phones having the issue (Its not december 31st 1999 again is it? and Extremely strange boot issue with AOKP M4 and No phone/data, radio off -- help! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com). This must be some Samsung issue. He had the problem while running stock 4.0.2. Verizon sent him a ‘certified like new’ replacement and that was okay for a few days, then he had the issue again. I put him on Tranquil Ice 4.0.4 and that fixed the issue for a few days, then it came back. This has all been within the last couple of months.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone has previously heard of this and/or know how to fix it? All of the threads I noted above seem to have died and have not resolved the issue.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

(in case you are wondering, I have a GNex running Junk with no serious issues and I'm loving it)

File a complaint with the BBB about the loss of voice/data. As a matter of fact I just spoke with tier 2 moments ago and they mentioned they are aware of the issues with this phone. Tier 2 mentioned that it's Samsungs responsibility to address these issues. Sounds like finger pointing while consumers suffer! Get with it and FILE A COMPLAINT TO THE BBB. Let our voices be heard with documentation!!! :icon_ devil:

Last edited by a moderator: