Gmail keeps closing when I try to scroll inbox

roady

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had my Droid X for one week now and it has been pretty good until today. If I open my Gmail it will stay open fine until I try to scroll through my inbox. As soon as I start to scroll through it it automatically closes. I can open an email if I am quick and it will stay on that email and scroll up and down fine. As soon as I go back to inbox it will close.

I took it to Verizon and they did some kind of reset but no luck yet. They sent me out the door saying "new software will be out in a few days and that should fix it". They did say if the software doesnt fix it when it is released they would send me a new phone. Pretty crappy customer service I think. Not much sense paying for a data package.

I appreciate any help provided.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I wouldn't hold your breath on a few days, if the update they are talking about is the 2.2 that isn't until "early" Sep if then. Pretty crappy customer service from the store, I am guessing they did a battery pull. What mail service are you using? Everyone says the default mail app for the X is not good. Lot of people say K9 is good, I use the stock Gmail app instead of the mail app and haven't had problems yet.

OP
R

roady

Reaction score
I am using the Gmail app. It is funny that I have used it fine for a week with no problems and then tonight is when the problem started. I tried the battery pull with no luck and Verizon did the reset and erased all my apps but that didnt fix it either.

The only thing I did to the phone today was add some music to it from my PC to the "music" folder.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Oh they did the whole reset? Well again if it is giving you problems maybe give that K9 a try and see if you like it. I added music to my phone last night and have not see your issue. Do you have a weird message in the inbox maybe that might be throwing it off. Maybe something with and attachment?

OP
R

roady

Reaction score
I did just log in to gmail from the browser via WIFI and no problems

westsidebb

Reaction score
my phone just started doing that also, force closing while its loading up my inbox. I noticed it around 9pm tonight. im also not getting any emails pushed to my phone with my gmail account.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this would help you guys, but you might want to try clearing "gmail storage" data via phone settings > applications > manage applications

If that doesn't work, perhaps try clearing data/cache for "Gmail" the same way as "Gmail storage". It won't hurt anything. Worth a try.

If still no luck, I set up K9 with gmail on a droid X and it works well. One tricky thing was to set the namespace to [Gmail]

westsidebb

Reaction score
I don't know if this would help you guys, but you might want to try clearing "gmail storage" data via phone settings > applications > manage applications

If that doesn't work, perhaps try clearing data/cache for "Gmail" the same way as "Gmail storage". It won't hurt anything. Worth a try.

If still no luck, I set up K9 with gmail on a droid X and it works well. One tricky thing was to set the namespace to [Gmail]
one of the first things i tried, along with a factory reset after the first attempt to clear up the problem failed. i will try k9 and see if that works but it still doesnt remedy the problem with the native gmail app.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, yeah, a factory reset probably clears gmail storage anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is to try messing with your sync days. If you go to the gmail app > settings > labels, what do you have set up to sync? For example, I only sync Inbox and Sent. How many days are you syncing? I am only syncing 3 days. Of course, this would all be reset with a factory reset too...but maybe worth messing with those settings.

westsidebb

Reaction score
OK, yeah, a factory reset probably clears gmail storage anyway.

The only other thing I can think of is to try messing with your sync days. If you go to the gmail app > settings > labels, what do you have set up to sync? For example, I only sync Inbox and Sent. How many days are you syncing? I am only syncing 3 days. Of course, this would all be reset with a factory reset too...but maybe worth messing with those settings.
i originally had it set to 2 days but i bumped it down to 1. i only have my inbox and sent folders synched. very weird and very frustrating that it was working and now i cant even receive emails with out manually refreshing it, and thats if it manages to stay open and not force close.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
And your not killing any tasks? If you kill the email tasks, I think it effects gmail.

I guess the only workaround I can think of is to turn of gmail sync and use k9 instead.

westsidebb

Reaction score
agreed its a work around but its not a solution. its like a new car, all aspects of the car should be working. will update later.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe try this:

I experienced the problem on my brand new Samsung Vibrant from t-mo. Turns out, what worked for me was logging into gmail on a computer, creating a temp folder and moving ALL messages from the inbox into the temp folder you just created. Try accessing your gmail inbox from the phone now and it should work. You are then able to move all the emails in your temporary folder back to the inbox. Knock on wood, no troubles yet. Hope that helps.

OP
R

roady

Reaction score
Maybe try this:

I experienced the problem on my brand new Samsung Vibrant from t-mo. Turns out, what worked for me was logging into gmail on a computer, creating a temp folder and moving ALL messages from the inbox into the temp folder you just created. Try accessing your gmail inbox from the phone now and it should work. You are then able to move all the emails in your temporary folder back to the inbox. Knock on wood, no troubles yet. Hope that helps.

I just tried making the temp folder and opened email and it did stay open but my inbox will stay open until I start to scroll. I then went to setting/labels/temp folder and when I tried to scroll through that it then closed the temp folder and took me back to my inbox. It didnt close the whole Gmail app.

I also switched my sync days down to one.

DrewK

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had my Droid X for one week now and it has been pretty good until today. If I open my Gmail it will stay open fine until I try to scroll through my inbox. As soon as I start to scroll through it it automatically closes. I can open an email if I am quick and it will stay on that email and scroll up and down fine. As soon as I go back to inbox it will close.
O
I took it to Verizon and they did some kind of reset but no luck yet. They sent me out the door saying "new software will be out in a few days and that should fix it". They did say if the software doesnt fix it when it is released they would send me a new phone. Pretty crappy customer service I think. Not much sense paying for a data package.

I appreciate any help provided.

The same issue started for me last night, completely out of the blue. I've tried everything suggested in this thread to no avail.

However, one thing I did notice that no one has mentioned yet is that when I hold the phone horizontally instead of vertically while the inbox is loading, I can prevent it from force closing. Unfortunately, if I scroll down any farther to see the "loading conversations" notification, it force closes.

I don't know if this means anything significant, but I thought It'd throw it out there.

Last edited: