Gmail bug - opens to emails I already read and closed

alichi

Reaction score
This isn't such a serious bug I guess, but it's totally annoying. Often when I get a gmail notification and open the application, it opens to an old email that I already read and closed, instead of to my inbox.

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks!

alichi

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This isn't such a serious bug I guess, but it's totally annoying. Often when I get a gmail notification and open the application, it opens to an old email that I already read and closed, instead of to my inbox.

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks!

alichi

Can you give us a little more detail? Like how is your email configured is it pop3 forwarded to gmail, or imap and gmail only? Do you use the separate mail app that comes stock?

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
It's just gmail only. I also use the separate email app for my work email, but the bug only happens with gmail. And it was set up for me in the store when I bought the phone, so I'm not entirely sure of the setup details, but the salesperson basically just had me fill in my account info while he was setting up the phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's just gmail only. I also use the separate email app for my work email, but the bug only happens with gmail. And it was set up for me in the store when I bought the phone, so I'm not entirely sure of the setup details, but the salesperson basically just had me fill in my account info while he was setting up the phone.

Go to your on line settings in gmail and take a good look at them. Take a good look at the forwarding and import tab. I think your Verizon guy has a setting wrong. This is not a bug.

Gmail is easy to set up so just double check what he did and see if you can't spot the error.

texasPI

Reaction score
I've had this issue since day one (got mine on launch) and I haven't found a fix. It is not a big deal but I agree, pretty annoying.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had this issue since day one (got mine on launch) and I haven't found a fix. It is not a big deal but I agree, pretty annoying.

I ask you the same thing have you reviewed your settings? This is just not something that gmail does. Now when you have your mail imported if you don't have the settings correct, this can occur but just off of regular gmail you should only get 1 notification.

BTW are you guys running stock or rooted?

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
I do only get one notification. It's just that the next time I open gmail, that same old email opens instead of opening right to the inbox. And goes back to that very same email each time I open, no matter how many I've opened in the meantime.

I don't know the difference between stock and rooted - what does that mean?

And thanks for your help,

alichi

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do only get one notification. It's just that the next time I open gmail, that same old email opens instead of opening right to the inbox. And goes back to that very same email each time I open, no matter how many I've opened in the meantime.

I don't know the difference between stock and rooted - what does that mean?

And thanks for your help,

alichi

Don't worry about stock and rooted then. When you read the email do you go to the bottom of the email and delete it? It should work like this. You get the email notification, you click on the notification and it takes you to the gmail. On the bottom of the email is the choice to delete. Are you scrolling all the way to the bottom?

Just looking at the email won't get it out of your gmail box.

OP
A

alichi

Reaction score
aha!

I was clicking on the menu and selecting "back to inbox" - like I do in the online application. I was doing that because I didn't want to delete or archive everything, and those seemed to be the only options. But hitting back to get back to the inbox works perfectly.

Thank you so much for helping me figure this out. It really would have driven me crazy eventually!:)

dryinc

Reaction score
Im having the same problem and it's really annoying. Does anyone know how to clear they cache on gmail?