Gmail Hangs sending email with picture attacment

KingArt69

Reaction score
For the last couple of months, whenever I try to send an email (even to my own gmail) with a picture attachment, it simply hangs in the outbox in a "sending" state. Forever. I've tried deleting cache and files and resending, and that worked ONE time.

I've tried sending from the camera roll, directly from the picture immediately after taking it, and from gmail itself by creating a new message there and attaching the pic. Picture size is large, yes at 1.5mp - but it used to work JUST FINE.

I'm out of options, lol. Anyone else have a clue?

thanks!

RAZR MAXX
Android 2.3.6
Gmail version also 2.3.6

dkelly701

Reaction score
Below is something I posted in another thread. See if it works.

I have had this happen to me. Go to the phone settings, then Applications, Manage Applications, press the All tab at the top. Scroll down to gmail and press. When you are there, press Clear cache and then press Clear data. This will wipe gmail (on you phone only). Exit out of settings and go back to gmail and open it. It will take a few moments to open and reload your data, but all your stuff will still be there, you won't lose anything. Try to send a large picture now. It should send as fast as your data connection will allow.

OP
K

KingArt69

Reaction score
Yah, I had found your post earlier. As I said, that worked one time for me. Yesterday, even after doing that, still no go. It DID finally go through nearly 2 hours later. And I had good 4G LTE signal the whole time.

metalhead

Reaction score
Check the market for Reduce Photo Size. It allows you to pick the resolution size of your choice before attaching to a text or email. Pick a one of the lower resolution options then attach and it will leave your phone a lot faster. I leave my camera on the 1080 setting and use Reduce Photo Size for sending that way I can keep the picture in the best possible resolution but can still send without problems.

eddiea

Reaction score
I experienced the same issue previously on 2 different occasions...a couple of days ago and last night. I discovered there were 2 emails sitting in my outbox for more than a day which were never successfully sent. I cleared my cache and data, switched from wifi to 4G, uninstalled the Gmail update to revert to the previous version, rebooted my phone...none of those helped. The size of the picture attachment didn't matter since I tried both small and large attachments. No recent apps installed that I would think might somehow cause a conflict. Interesting thing is that emails with no attachments sent/received fine. This morning I tested it, and all is fine now with no issues fortunately. I still can't pinpoint the problem, but I'm think it may be the Gmail app itself because once I discovered the issue I immediately used a different email app to see if it had the same issue but no problem at all.

dkelly701

Reaction score
You mentioned that you deleted the cache but did not mention deleting data, which I found was really the key. I tried just deleting cache and it didn't solve the problem. When I deleted the cache and data, it was fixed. I guess since you did both and it didn't fix the problem, you have a different issue. Sorry.

Yah, I had found your post earlier. As I said, that worked one time for me. Yesterday, even after doing that, still no go. It DID finally go through nearly 2 hours later. And I had good 4G LTE signal the whole time.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
samsung galaxy s5
None of that is true. Clearing the cash and data on the gmail app has absolutely no effect whatsoever. The gmail app will never allow any email to be sent that has an attachment associated with it even if that attachment is on a previous message in the thread.
I have not been able to find anyone at Verizon, Samsung or Google who will even acknowledge that the problem exists. I am planning to pay the early termination fee to Verizon just to get out of the contract and go back to a "dum" phone on a prepaid plan because after 2 months of messing with this device and calling customer service at least every other day for 60 days I do not believe that the technology exists to get photographs taken on a smart phone off of the smart phone and delivered anywhere. They cant even be text messaged because the limit is 2 photographs at a time through text message and I need to be able to send between 3 and 5 at a time even at super low resolution because the information needs to be in one package to the people I am sending it to and not scattered all over the earth in 20 different correspondences.