GM Mylink Infotainment System

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2013 Malibu 2LT. It has the GM Mylin Infotainment system installed with a 7" touchscreen. Prior to that, I had a 2010 Equinox. With the Equinox, I could pair my OG Droid and my GNex and access the phonebook on either phone to use hands free voice dialing. I figured the Malibu would work the same way. I can pair the GNex to the car, but it won't allow me to use voice commands to dial contacts on the phone. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a GM tech rep and we tried pairing and unpairing the phone several times to no avail. He said a buddy of his has a GNex and has had no problem. That got me to thinking JellyBean 4.2 was recently pushed to non-Verizon GNex phones. I asked the rep if his buddy's carrier was Verizon like me. He put me on hold for a second and came back and said it was a Sprint phone. So, I'm guessing there is a compatibility issue between JB 4.1.1 and the Infotainment system. If a 4.2 GNex works ok, perhaps that is my problem.

Is there anyone that hasn't had a problem pairing their GNex to GM's Infotainment System?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hmm that's weird, it really shouldn't have to do with the phone version as BT works fine in all of my cars (2 with aftermarket HUs, and a Lexus). I'm able to voice command in all 3 without any problems and I've switched ROMs many times, even from 4.1 to 4.2. However, I'm not familiar with Infotainment system either, maybe it only works correctly with official versions of phones?

OP
Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
Hmm that's weird, it really shouldn't have to do with the phone version as BT works fine in all of my cars (2 with aftermarket HUs, and a Lexus). I'm able to voice command in all 3 without any problems and I've switched ROMs many times, even from 4.1 to 4.2. However, I'm not familiar with Infotainment system either, maybe it only works correctly with official versions of phones?

Official versions?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Which I'm very aware of.
I think it was 4.1.1 that did have some BT issues, I never ran into them, but I've had this thing ROMd since day 2. Have no idea what I was thinking, kept thinking you were on a 4.2 custom ROM for some reason:D

Is there a way to reset your radio for an initial setup again or whatever GM uses?

OP
Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
I went to the Verizon forums and posted my lament. About an hour or two later, I got a response that told me how to pair the phone so I could access the phonebook contacts through voice command.

Make sure bluetooth is on before starting the car. Switch WiFi off on the phone. Switch 4G off. Must be in 3G (for some reason). Start the car. Go to Utilities and select bluetooth. Push the Config button on the car's dashboard. Select Phone Settings. Make sure the GNex is set for discovery. Under Phone Settings, select Pair. A window will pop up on the GNex (which it never did before) to inform you that the Malibu wants to gain access to the GNex phonebook. Select OK. And there we are!

To make sure I had access, I checked the Malibu's screen and the Phonebook tab showed up. I hit that and there were my contacts! I also tested the voice dialing and it worked perfectly!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I went to the Verizon forums and posted my lament. About an hour or two later, I got a response that told me how to pair the phone so I could access the phonebook contacts through voice command.

Make sure bluetooth is on before starting the car. Switch WiFi off on the phone. Switch 4G off. Must be in 3G (for some reason). Start the car. Go to Utilities and select bluetooth. Push the Config button on the car's dashboard. Select Phone Settings. Make sure the GNex is set for discovery. Under Phone Settings, select Pair. A window will pop up on the GNex (which it never did before) to inform you that the Malibu wants to gain access to the GNex phonebook. Select OK. And there we are!

To make sure I had access, I checked the Malibu's screen and the Phonebook tab showed up. I hit that and there were my contacts! I also tested the voice dialing and it worked perfectly!
That is quite a process just to get the thing working how it's supposed to once it connects. Do you have to do this every time or just on initial setup? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, for me at least.

OP
Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight

Reaction score
That is quite a process just to get the thing working how it's supposed to once it connects. Do you have to do this every time or just on initial setup? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, for me at least.
Initial setup.

Lot less trouble than buying a new phone that works right out of the box or rooting and installing ROMs for somebody that has never done it.