Gingerbread ROM for droid 2?

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
Are there any ROM's either released or in the process of being released that runs off a gingerbread build for the droid 2?

Hideaki

Reaction score
No, and it's never happening until Motorola releases an official 2.3 update, or the bootloader gets cracked.

If you want to keep up with the latests android version without having to wait for the OEM, buy a phone with a non-locked bootloader next time.

OP
J

Joshmichael91

Reaction score
Yeah i understand the locked bootloader causes some inconvience. But what i don't get is why a gingerbread based rom wouldn't be able to be installed. droid 2 can install other roms what would make it different in that situation? Is there something obvious im missing?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

miketoasty

Reaction score
I understand people want the newest and bestest things but to tell you guys the truth there is very little that gingerbread has that we really need.

It does add a lot to any of the devs but to the end user its basically just as better battery manager and a better keyboard (Which we already have).

I am perfectly content with what I have but will be more than happy to upgrade when motorola releases the update.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah i understand the locked bootloader causes some inconvience. But what i don't get is why a gingerbread based rom wouldn't be able to be installed. droid 2 can install other roms what would make it different in that situation? Is there something obvious im missing?

From what I understand, since the bootloader is locked, a rom can only be made from Motorola leaks and not from the actual source.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

miketoasty

Reaction score
As stated above everything has to be built from the original Droid 2 build. Ultimate droid is making us a GB ROM but they have all but given up on the project, easiest thing to do is just run one of the current ROM's and wait for motorola to officially release the GB update whenever that may be.

Hideaki

Reaction score

The bootloader is where the Linux Kernel is stored. Froyo runs on top of Linux 2.6.32, Gingerbread runs on top of Linux 2.6.35.
Since our bootloader is locked, it prevents us from updating the kernel to the version that Gingerbread requires. This is also the reason that AOSP ROMs have been so difficult to get working on the D2(although it seems like we are getting closer). Most AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod require changes to the kernel, which we just can't do on the D2.

wcramernc

Reaction score

The bootloader is where the Linux Kernel is stored. Froyo runs on top of Linux 2.6.32, Gingerbread runs on top of Linux 2.6.35.
Since our bootloader is locked, it prevents us from updating the kernel to the version that Gingerbread requires. This is also the reason that AOSP ROMs have been so difficult to get working on the D2(although it seems like we are getting closer). Most AOSP ROMs like CyanogenMod require changes to the kernel, which we just can't do on the D2.

You would think that by now someone "in the know" from Motorola, like a current or former employee, would have give us the "keys" to their locked bootloader. I know one thing for sure, my next phone is NOT going to be another Motorola if they keep locking the bootloaders.

miketoasty

Reaction score

You would think that by now someone "in the know" from Motorola, like a current or former employee, would have give us the "keys" to their locked bootloader. I know one thing for sure, my next phone is NOT going to be another Motorola if they keep locking the bootloaders.

From what I heard a while ago someone was offering the key for a large amount but eventually backed out.

wcramernc

Reaction score
UD is in the process of making a GB rom for us.

What's a "UD" ? :)

UD or ultimate droid is a ROM developer like angdroid or kejar. But don't expect anything from him on the x or 2 as he has basicall given up on our phones.

Please forgive the ignorance of this question as I'm still rather new at rooting and modding, but can't the X & the 2 just be completely wiped and a new bootloader installed? Like formatting a hard drive?