Getting maxx tomorrow, if I want root do I...

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do I need to let the ota's to load or shall I root first.(hopefully not preinstalled)

Or should I wait for root until official release in a few weeks....

I would like to play with it before root, but pretty sure I will atleast want to remove bloat...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've not rooted mine, but I would find out how to forever root, and I would do it after the update. I could very well be wrong though. Just my opinion.

sent from my RAZR MAXX

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've read up and I'm wrong... you want to root then update.. apparently there's no root for the new ota. Sorry I suggested wrong

sent from my RAZR MAXX

OP
thaDroidz

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried reading up but couldnt comprehend.. :)

Guess I'll have to see what version is loaded and if an ota is ready when I get it tomorrow ...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've read up and I'm wrong... you want to root then update.. apparently there's no root for the new ota. Sorry I suggested wrong

sent from my RAZR MAXX

Correct. Root using DooMLoRD Root, then download and install vooDoo OTA Rootkeeper. Then protect root. You'll also want to install clockworkmod recovery. Some may say to install safestrap but there's no real need to now that Fastboot ROM is available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Telescopist

Reaction score
Correct. Root using DooMLoRD Root, then download and install vooDoo OTA Rootkeeper. Then protect root. You'll also want to install clockworkmod recovery. Some may say to install safestrap but there's no real need to now that Fastboot ROM is available.

By a certain bit of serendipity, I purchased the first (and only) RAZR MAXX at my local Verizon store. My only experience previously with a smart phone was 1.5 years with Palm PrePlus. Would you help me to understand what advantages there are to rooting the phone? I suppose as well, I need to know if there are any risks involved. I have observed that there are many applications I have absolutely no interest in. Is this what is called 'bloatware'? Pardon my ignorance! I am competent around telescopes and drive systems but not so much smart phones - at least yet!:blink:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
By a certain bit of serendipity, I purchased the first (and only) RAZR MAXX at my local Verizon store. My only experience previously with a smart phone was 1.5 years with Palm PrePlus. Would you help me to understand what advantages there are to rooting the phone? I suppose as well, I need to know if there are any risks involved. I have observed that there are many applications I have absolutely no interest in. Is this what is called 'bloatware'? Pardon my ignorance! I am competent around telescopes and drive systems but not so much smart phones - at least yet!:blink:

The so-called bloatware is one reason people root. It is highly recommended that if you want to "remove" bloatware that you "freeze" it rather than delete it as deleting it can kick you off the update rails. Truth is, the bulk of bloatware does nothing to"slow down" your phone since once started it essentially goes into hibernation, and there is plenty of evidence to support the theory that it's completely benign, but it's more of a principle thing for some. Sure, it takes up storage space, but deleting it is potentially problematic, so freezing it simply prevents it from even starting.

Another reason to root is to be able to use your phone as a mobile WIFI hotspot without paying the additional fee to Verizon. This is a violation of your contract, but it is hard for Verizon to identify those that have done so (at least so far).

Still another reason for root is so you can do screen shots like this...

View attachment 47179

This need for root in this instance goes away with Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), but for now is the only effective and free solution.

Finally, but most importantly for many, rooting allows you to flash either custom or different versions of the official ROMs to your phone other than the ones sent to you through OTA. Again, it's a control thing, but a really good custom ROM can enhance the phone's features and user experience dramatically, though it comes at a price in the risks of some features or applications having failures.

Last edited:

Telescopist

Reaction score
The so-called bloatware is one reason people root. It is highly recommended that if you want to "remove" bloatware that you "freeze" it rather than delete it as deleting it can kick you off the update rails. Truth is, the bulk of bloatware does nothing to"slow down" your phone since once started it essentially goes into hibernation, and there is plenty of evidence to support the theory that it's completely benign, but it's more of a principle thing for some. Sure, it takes up storage space, but deleting it is potentially problematic, so freezing it simply prevents it from even starting.

So, I gather, that if I follow the instructions that you previously posted, I will arrive at a point where there is a prompt of some sort to 'freeze' the bloatware as opposed to removing it?

Another reason to root is to be able to use your phone as a mobile WIFI hotspot without paying the additional fee to Verizon. This is a violation of your contract, but it is hard for Verizon to identify those that have done so (at least so far).

This interests me. I am in the process of building an observatory to house my telescopes in New Mexico in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, I am able to get a strong signal from Verizon although there is not a tower in sight. If I root, will I be able to tether my phone to, say a laptop, or Tablet without paying an additional fee? Is that what you mean by using the phone as a mobile WIFI hotspot?

Still another reason for root is so you can do screen shots like this...
View attachment 47179

Whoa! Pretty cool. I'm gathering that the implications are that you can more readily customize the desktop?

This need for root in this instance goes away with Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), but for now is the only effective and free solution.
If you have the time, could you explain a little bit more about the reason for this? Is there an argument for simply waiting for ICS to arrive?

Finally, but most importantly for many, rooting allows you to flash either custom or different versions of the official ROMs to your phone other than the ones sent to you through OTA. Again, it's a control thing, but a really good custom ROM can enhance the phone's features and user experience dramatically, though it comes at a price in the risks of some features or applications having failures.

Thank you for taking the time to explain some of these things.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
There are many reasons for root. My personal interest lay more along the lines of backing up my apps. This can be especially helpful if you update an app, and the changes don't work for you. No way to reverse from Market. You either take the latest and greatest, or uninstall if you don't have a backup. And sometimes apps are pulled from Market, even if they are benign. #politics There are also a lot of menu customizations included in many custom roms that are otherwise unavailable. Root opens your options.

pkjeeps

Reaction score
i just got my razr . i am trying to root but i keep getting all done and no root. i am on 6.11.748...please tell me i can root this thing and didnt just waste my money.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
#motofail works on newest update, and it its one-click. Easier than rooting my thunderbolt was.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
And if you can swing , please send a donation Dans way. Sooner he gets a phone to develop on, the sooner we will see good custom roms. Plus gratitude shows class.