Getting a new bionic

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
So I called verizon and complained about the black screen of death, and the constant Loss of 3g, along with all the other problems I've been having. They are sending me a refurb phone and it will be here tomorrow. My dilemma is that my phone has been working fine lately and I'm not sure I want to swap to a refurb phone. What do you guys think? Is it worth going through all the hassle to activate a refurb phone and send my phone back to them?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Ok. well I decided to swap over to the new phone. After a few hours of outing everything back to the way it was I think I made the right choice. Holding both phones side by side, the new phone has a brighter display. The old phone looks kinda yellow compared to the new one.

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Something else I noticed its how much easier my thumb slides on the naked screen compared to the screen with the protector on it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Black Screen of Death is common enough to be included in the Bionic Manual

From Page 53:

Crash recovery
In the unlikely event that your smartphone stops
responding to touches and key presses, try a quick
reset. Remove the back cover and battery (“Assemble &
charge” on page 3), then replace and switch your
smartphone on as usual.

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
What is funny is the guy on the other end if the phone tried telling me that he has never heard about the phone locking up like that. I basically told him he was full of crap and to just do what I needed him to do. LOL.

scdown

Reaction score
@Geoff,

I hope it works out well for you, and this is the only replacement you need - it's unfortunate though, that there are a fair number of users who've gone through your experience 3 or 4 times, and are still having issues, meaning that 1) their phones were not defective and it's all network/firmware related, 2) there are a LOT of defective phones out there, more than for most other models I've seen of late, and/or 3) there's a hardware issue, which might explain why the latest update is so long delayed.

When it shows up, can you reply to this thread with the current system version? I'd be interested in whether or not they're putting newer software on at this late date.

Cheers,
Steve

OP
G

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I checked both phones side by side. If I didn't have the extended battery in the new one I wouldn't know which was which. I checked all the numbers on the about phone page, and they matched exactly on both phones. I was kinda hoping they wouldn't, but they did.

I honestly don't think its a phone issue. I think its a compatibility issue between Android and the hardware. I have complete faith they will fix the problem with software. I hope my faith isn't for nothing!