Galaxy Note 7 to have dual-edge curved design, No flat variant in the works!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it actually makes sense that Samsung will start moving all of their displays to the edge screen. It makes their device stand out from everyone else (at the moment). Also, from a manufacturing/cost standpoint, it will be easier for Samsung's production line to focus on making more of the OLED displays for their phones, since they have been spending billions tooling up for that.

After playing with the Galaxy S7 Edge, I am not sure why anyone would have a problem with it, and I have found the edge devices are actually easier to hold onto.

Here's a fan-made concept video for the Galaxy Note 7 (with Edge):

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree with dgstorm. The edge makes samsung standout as the only phone in the world without bezel. All phones look alike now from Apple to Huawei to LG and HTC. The only visual feature that will be noticed right away is the edge = samsung.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
True until Apple invents it. Then it'll be Samsung copying Apple again to the masses.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
I love that Crapple added the ability to remove bloatware
<><
Sadly, you are probably right, and the hilarious irony is that it will be Apple buying the curved OLED displays directly from Samsung!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I'm just not sold an an edge device. Especially with how I draw and edit on photos I worry the edge will hinder that.

I will have to wait and get my hands on one. LUCKILY the 6.0 update on my Note 4 has brought me many features I wanted. Maybe with a new battery I can hang out for another year or so and see what else hits the market. So far I'm seeing no huge wow factor for me to go to the new Note. Especially after I have been waiting for it and so far haven't seen any rumors that truly excite me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with dgstorm. The edge makes samsung standout as the only phone in the world without bezel. All phones look alike now from Apple to Huawei to LG and HTC. The only visual feature that will be noticed right away is the edge = samsung.
+2 it IS a sweet display from my experience playing with an Edge device here or there. But I would probably use it for a week or two and then disable the option. While I know you can't really compare the two , it's kind of like the two features that came on the S5: toolbox & multi window.
a490e5cc351545397c0cd9671da3038e.jpg

59b8d5307c8047b9c0a8e6734773eb1a.jpg
566694bf6514093ba618638bb5e03d44.jpg
Both allowed you to set up various apps by touching the side of the screen, which brought up a list of apps you could choose from. Of course it's not as feature rich as the Edge variant devices, but for me personally, it was just a cool feature to show off to your friends and not something I'd use everyday.
According to everything I've read, keeping those Edge features activated really drains your battery, so I'd prefer a regular Note variant. Looks like Sammy has made up their minds though...

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They lost me at sealed battery. Edge or no Edge.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I was so Wanting this Phone until I saw the new Moto Droid Force. I want a unbreakable screen so i can go caseless plus it has killer specs and features with the Moto Mods

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
They lost me at sealed battery. Edge or no Edge.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Looks like all the phones are going with the Sealed in battery with the exception of LG. So what other choice is there if sealed batteries are the future of cell phones?

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I like it so much that I hope to never have a flat screen phone again. Different strokes.............
I do like the edges, I'm just saying functionally, other than omitting the features from their flat phones, there isn't anything really different between the s7 edge and the s7. I think the features would be great on their flat phones as well.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the phone makes for a bit more of an immersive experience, so I suppose that is one of the functions/features. It's just the extra software around the idea of the edge is something I think Samsung could implement into any other phone in their lineup, they just keep it to edge specific phones (and I guess for good reason).

I really do like my s7 edge, I've said in another thread around here, that it's the only phone that's really caught my eye in recent years and I had to have one, so I got one. Watching videos is a far more immersive experience than it had been on my Note 5. I just wish the features took some real advantage of the edge, but I suppose just the animations of it coming from the edges are cool enough. (One must really sit down and think about it after becoming so used to it.)

It's an awesome phone and I wouldn't go back to my Note 5.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Honestly I'm disappointed that there's only going to be the Edge version. I remember when the Note Edge came out for the Note 4 (I think) and I thought it was gonna be awesome, so I got it. It was neat for a couple of days but I returned it and got the normal Note 4 and was much more content. I also felt like it would be much easier crack the screen if it fell on one of the curved edges since the case cant protect against that.

I'll still likely get it and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I feel I'll be a lot more paranoid.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like all the phones are going with the Sealed in battery with the exception of LG. So what other choice is there if sealed batteries are the future of cell phones?
I'll worry about that when my Note4 wears out.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><