Galaxy Note 7 to have dual-edge curved design, No flat variant in the works!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-out-about-25.jpg

Last week I asked the question Edge, non-edge, or both? ?” Well the latest News from Korea is now telling us that “Samsung is Not considering launching a flat screen version of the Note phone.” Samsung is having a change in strategy, with the company aiming more for profitability instead of market-share these days without neglecting either, and the decision to go full-on with the Galaxy Note 7 edge instead of flat variant seems to be in line with the Samsung's new direction. Not only will the Galaxy Note 7 edge help Samsung increase its overall profit, but it will also give Samsung the opportunity to showcase its newest idea that is becoming something of a new fad.

The edge is “the new flat,” with the edge serving a number of purposes for the smartphone experience. News feeds, app shortcuts, and so on with the edge, you can also use the edge to write on the screen (which Samsung is saving for the upcoming Galaxy) and aesthetically, the smartphone as a whole is easier to hold and easier to press against the ear when making a phone call, for example. The next Galaxy Note phablet will be Samsung’s best work ever.

Source

Briankbl

Reaction score
I'm NOT liking the sound of this. I've hated every edge screen galaxy I've held. Granted, I haven't held the S7 edge yet. I know they've made some design tweaks, but the Edge line last year was a pain to hold or pick up...

If given the choice, I'd go regular flat screen all day.

Clamshell

Reaction score
Oh no. Say it ain't so. This was on my short list but not now. Short list is now Z force or new Nexus.

pchain

Reaction score
Disappointing if true. Not sure what phone I'd get next now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As an owner of the s7 edge, I find this news a bit disappointing. To me, the edge screen is indeed an impressive engineering feat, but I feel it doesn't bring anything extra to the playing field that a flat screen can't. Visually it's awesome, but functionally, I have yet to really think of any way this edge screen has really benefited me. Sure I've used the edge functionalities such as app drawer, weather edge, and offscreen notifications, but I feel these features could easily be implemented in a flat screen.

As much as I like this s7 edge, my note 5 was easier to hold. My palm or fingers weren't touching the edges of the screen to throw off any inputs. I've gotten used to holding the phone a certain way now, but it was actually a fairly long learning curve.

Raydee35

Reaction score
Looks like no more Sammy for me, very disappointed.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
If this phone is as powerful as they say it is going to be. This will still be my next phone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
AWESOME! Love my S7 Edge, and am close to convincing the wife (still using her OG Moto X) to take it so I can get the Note 7! -insert banging head smilie here-

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
As an owner of the s7 edge, I find this news a bit disappointing. To me, the edge screen is indeed an impressive engineering feat, but I feel it doesn't bring anything extra to the playing field that a flat screen can't. Visually it's awesome, but functionally, I have yet to really think of any way this edge screen has really benefited me. Sure I've used the edge functionalities such as app drawer, weather edge, and offscreen notifications, but I feel these features could easily be implemented in a flat screen.

As much as I like this s7 edge, my note 5 was easier to hold. My palm or fingers weren't touching the edges of the screen to throw off any inputs. I've gotten used to holding the phone a certain way now, but it was actually a fairly long learning curve.

I like it so much that I hope to never have a flat screen phone again. Different strokes.............

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, for many of the complaints in this thread, I found that the Otterbox Symmetry case is perfect for my S7 Edge. Makes it the perfect phone. As stated above, I love the look of the curved screen so much I can't ever see going back.

Batman8

Reaction score
This is indeed disappointing news. I have looked forward to this new Note since Samsung screwed up the Note 5 (with no SDcard, removable battery, etc.). I should have known they would do something "uncommon" again to screw things up as usual.

I am not a fan of the "edge" series, so I'm not sure what my next device will be now!

Thanks a lot SAMMY!!!! :mad:

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I will now have to wait and see and try it before I jump to it. I love my Note 4 but still press random icons when picking it up and it would seem an edge phone would be worse. It has been years since I've put a case on my phone (love the leather feel of the Note 4) but if that adds just enough grab to not hit the icons I'd try it. Not happy but maybe they can convince me otherwise.

jbal52

Reaction score
I'm NOT liking the sound of this. I've hated every edge screen galaxy I've held. Granted, I haven't held the S7 edge yet. I know they've made some design tweaks, but the Edge line last year was a pain to hold or pick up...

If given the choice, I'd go regular flat screen all day.

I have the S7 Edge and it's a dream to hold and use. Not sure about the S6 Edge but the Note should be just as comfortable as the S7 Edge

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm sure looking forward to it. I really wanted to get the Note 4 edge but ended up with the Note5, which I love. If finances allow, I'm definitely jumping on this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk