Samsung Galaxy S6 With Curved Dual-Edge Display Supposedly Confirmed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-story-jan-2015.jpg

The latest intel from SamMobile simply corroborates earlier reports that there will be a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S6 which will have a dual-edge curved display. Still, they claim that they have definitive confirmation of that previous report, so perhaps there's something to it. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Today, we can confirm that Samsung is indeed developing a Galaxy S6 with two-edge displays, one on each side, reports our source. Similar to how the Galaxy Note Edge was a separate variant of the Galaxy Note 4, the SM-G925 will be a separate variant of the Galaxy S6. We aren’t yet sure what the Korean firm will officially call this special variant, but for the sake of this article, we will be calling it the Galaxy S6 Edge.

The S6 Edge will run the same panel-based system that the Korean giant designed for the Galaxy Note Edge. So, it will have all the panels from the Note Edge including Yahoo! Finance, news and sport panels, briefing panel, pedometer panel (powered by S Health), favourite apps and contacts panels, and more will be downloadable from Samsung’s app store. Furthermore, it will also sport features like Night Clock and Express Me.

It's interesting to see that SamMobile nicknamed the phone the Galaxy S6 Edge, but it actually wouldn't be too surprising if that ended up as the actual retail name from Samsung. What do you think? If the price isn't too exorbitant, would you opt get a dual-edge Galaxy S6 Edge?

Here's our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S6 section to share your ideas on Samsung's newet flagship: Samsung Galaxy S6 General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I like the fact that it's confirmed a "variant". I can now breath a sigh of relief as I won't be forced to choose another manufacturer due to a screen feature I'm not crazy about.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I'm a fan of the Note Edge and glad to hear there will be an S6 variant.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They need to stop with the gimmicks and stick to what works. Not an edge fan at all.
When the Note first came out it was considered a gimmick with a huge screen (who'd want a 5"+ screen?) and a useless stylus pen (who uses stylus pens anymore?)

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
But why a curved edge? Large screens make sense.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like the fact that it's confirmed a "variant". I can now breath a sigh of relief as I won't be forced to choose another manufacturer due to a screen feature I'm not crazy about.

S5 tap'n

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. After using the Note Edge I hope they keep it alive.

What I would like to see them do is get rid of the top bezel, move the in call speaker directly into the screen like the Aquos, and instead of a second edge make it one long soundbar.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is kinda the only way that Samsung is really innovating at all, so I'm glad to see them continuing to try. I'm intrigued by the edge screen and I think they're smart to make more devices with the feature, whether dual or single, if they want it to take off. Like I said in one or a few threads about the Note Edge, I have a hard time seeing many developers jump on the bandwagon and truly support the edge screen when only one device utilizes it. If they make a fleet of them, even if they're just variants on their standard lines, they make it a bit more enticing for developers to get in there and do work.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
A large screen is not a gimmick, a curved screen is.
I think the curved screen has merit. Looks like Devs do as well with all the new Apps that are available.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But why a curved edge? Large screens make sense.
I asked the very same question about Android Wear.
And remember at the time large screens didn't make sense to the vast majority, including myself. I had a tablet if I needed bigger than 3.5" of screen that was working nicely for me if I used Fox fi, Tablet Talk, etc.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
A large screen is not a gimmick, a curved screen is.

A large screen isn't a gimmick now, but at the time the original Note was released (and the Dell Streak before that), it was very much considered to be a gimmick by many (if not most). That's MOUNTAINBIKERMARK's point - many new things and innovations are considered a gimmick in the beginning. Time will decide whether the general public truly sees it as anything more than that.

Personally, I feel like there's a lot of usefulness with a curved edge. I don't see it as a gimmick. Whether or not it moves beyond being seen as a gimmick by the masses will fully depend on support from app developers and Samsung to show how useful it can be.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A large screen isn't a gimmick now, but at the time the original Note was released (and the Dell Streak before that), it was very much considered to be a gimmick by many (if not most). That's MOUNTAINBIKERMARK's point - many new things and innovations are considered a gimmick in the beginning. Time will decide whether the general public truly sees it as anything more than that.

Personally, I feel like there's a lot of usefulness with a curved edge. I don't see it as a gimmick. Whether or not it moves beyond being seen as a gimmick by the masses will fully depend on support from app developers and Samsung to show how useful it can be.
I totally agree the developers will make (useful) or break (gimmick) the side screen .
Before multi window screens came on Samsung phones there were, and still are, a few "floating" apps. Until LG added multi window to the G2 ui they were only a niche exclusive to Samsung and, imo, still under utilized by developers. I used the heck out of Air Calc and Floating Browser on my Rezound, long before getting my Note2.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Here is my .02, My note 4 has a slight curve that severely limits the use of a decent tempered glass screen protector which after using on my S4 has become the only way I want to go.....You find me a screen protector other than crap scratchable plastic that will fit those screens, not gonna happen. Drop that thing and tell me what happens, I just fixed a broken screen on a friends S4, try to do that on an Edge without replacing the entire screen assy. Just sayin fwiw..