Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
F that. I refuse to pay for something that's supposed to work out of the box & then have to modify it so it does what's advertised. I'll get a new one or a refund. That's ridiculous if it's like that.

Sent from my Note 4
I have just canceled my Tough Armor Case and I just printed out my return slip for my Spigen Neo Hybrid. It is a shame because I love the Neo Hybrid cases. Looking for a case similar to the Neo Hybrid that have the mic hole lined up correctly on the Verizon GNote4...

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
On Amazon on the Supcase Cases this diagram comes up on one of the cases.

143015d1413812332-note-4-poor-phone-audio-reports-spigen-neo-hybrid-case-installed-n4-2014-10-20-06-34-50.jpg

Case manufacturers either have to do what Samsung did and elongate one of the two holes or sell separate versions by carrier. If they don't do either, and one of the holes is covered up, it's defective and should go back.

Spigen rushed their cases out to take advantage of early adopters and early pre-orderers looking for a case.

After looking at this diagram for this case above I am wondering if I can do this with the rubber piece of the case to see if it works. There are no other cases on Amazon I liked like the Neo Hybrid so I might cancel returning the Neo Hybrid.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oy. I guess I'll see how it looks & fits other than the mic & make the decision to either try & fix it or return it.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
If this is an issue for mine then I'm going to use a small drill bit and my Dremmel. It will look stock.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to back peddle, but I guess if it works without drilling the bumper, might not be too big of a deal.

Wish they could find a way to fit the components for different carriers in the same setup though. I refuse to pay vzw prices for a case unless they're running a promotion. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Not to back peddle, but I guess if it works without drilling the bumper, might not be too big of a deal.

Wish they could find a way to fit the components for different carriers in the same setup though. I refuse to pay vzw prices for a case unless they're running a promotion. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

Accessory makers often do that, but in this situation I think many of the manufacturers weren't aware of there being slightly different mic placement for the Note 4 on different carriers for their first run of products. We'll probably start seeing updated versions of many cases that do take it into account.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Got my Spigen Neo Hybrid case today. The left mic, when looking at the screen is covered/not lined up with the hole. Other than that, the case fits the phone very nicely. Doesn't add too much bulk, is snug, and the texture of the back makes the phone even easier to hold than the phone's back cover.

As for the hole being covered, I did a test call with my girlfriend. I was able to listen before I left the phone with her & went into another room. My voice was not muffled, but she could hear the phone hitting my earring (I wear 2 gauge plugs) & rubbing my beard as I walked. I'll have to run another test next time I take the case off to see if that's the same. The only calls I've made on it previously were to people who wouldn't have mentioned hearing a weird noise. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Got my Spigen Neo Hybrid case today. The left mic, when looking at the screen is covered/not lined up with the hole. Other than that, the case fits the phone very nicely. Doesn't add too much bulk, is snug, and the texture of the back makes the phone even easier to hold than the phone's back cover.

As for the hole being covered, I did a test call with my girlfriend. I was able to listen before I left the phone with her & went into another room. My voice was not muffled, but she could hear the phone hitting my earring (I wear 2 gauge plugs) & rubbing my beard as I walked. I'll have to run another test next time I take the case off to see if that's the same. The only calls I've made on it previously were to people who wouldn't have mentioned hearing a weird noise. Haha

Sent from my Note 4
Someone on another Forum said the same thing. He said that it was the case.Since the rubber is over the mic it is picking up all the vibration of the case. He said that it stopped once he cut the rubber of the case so that the mic is not covered by the rubber.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I ended up fixing both. After I got the rubber (did a crappy job), I put it on & she said it was a little better, but still did it. So, I got out the drill & was a bit more cautious. After that, she said it wasn't quite like no case at all, but a LOT better. Didn't make noise with every little movement I made or sound like I was in a tunnel.

b4f526b0d58e25a9b8029f2c5aaf9387.jpg

Word to the wise, at least on my red bumper, the plastic is actually white. Make sure you've got some nail polish around. My girlfriend had a good shade with a fine applicator for fancy designs (she went to beauty school). You'll see the white below. I chose to only paint what would show. I also touched up a couple chips in the inside. Might not bode well for the longevity of the case though.

6e74ae081d4aad3db9448edc1272fb30.jpg

Here's the botched rubber cut. I used a leather punch & then scissors to get the clingy bits.

6f88d2c43f39c273e2e3bf7360ddd9ff.jpg

Though I didn't quite get the hole even with the others, I don't think the finished product looks bad. I over compensated on the plastic because my holes were originally a bit too far the other way on the rubber, so I bored it out a little with the drill bit. I figure at least this way, the rubber isn't smooshed between the phone & the bumper.

In hindsight, cutting the rubber from their hole location to where it should be probably would've had the same effect as the tunnel shown in preach's previous post, but this way, I know the hole has more direct access to the mic.

c49db8aaccdd79a0daea86b34685d3c9.jpg

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
I ended up fixing both. After I got the rubber (did a crappy job), I put it on & she said it was a little better, but still did it. So, I got out the drill & was a bit more cautious. After that, she said it wasn't quite like no case at all, but a LOT better. Didn't make noise with every little movement I made or sound like I was in a tunnel.

b4f526b0d58e25a9b8029f2c5aaf9387.jpg

Word to the wise, at least on my red bumper, the plastic is actually white. Make sure you've got some nail polish around. My girlfriend had a good shade with a fine applicator for fancy designs (she went to beauty school). You'll see the white below. I chose to only paint what would show. I also touched up a couple chips in the inside. Might not bode well for the longevity of the case though.

6e74ae081d4aad3db9448edc1272fb30.jpg

Here's the botched rubber cut. I used a leather punch & then scissors to get the clingy bits.

6f88d2c43f39c273e2e3bf7360ddd9ff.jpg

Though I didn't quite get the hole even with the others, I don't think the finished product looks bad. I over compensated on the plastic because my holes were originally a bit too far the other way on the rubber, so I bored it out a little with the drill bit. I figure at least this way, the rubber isn't smooshed between the phone & the bumper.

In hindsight, cutting the rubber from their hole location to where it should be probably would've had the same effect as the tunnel shown in preach's previous post, but this way, I know the hole has more direct access to the mic.

c49db8aaccdd79a0daea86b34685d3c9.jpg

Sent from my Note 4
Did you have to drill the Bumper? Could you have just made the hole in the rubber part bigger or longer to get the result in the Diagram above? Did you drill a hole on both sides of the bumper?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Did you have to drill the Bumper? Could you have just made the hole in the rubber part bigger or longer to get the result in the Diagram above? Did you drill a hole on both sides of the bumper?
Just cutting the rubber may have worked, but I wanted to be sure. Since I figured the case was catching the sound of my beard & earring rubbing/tapping the screen, I thought it was better safe that sorry, but I imagine it'd have the desired effect if you only cut the rubber.

Also, I didn't quite cut the rubber all the way before testing it & the sound still wasn't good. That could've been caused by the small bit of rubber that I left between the original hole & my new one.

I put a board on the counter, hanging over the edge and put the bumper on it with the part that faces the phone touching the board, so I was drilling from the outside. I used a nail file to take the burs off the "inside" & the drill bit to clean them out of the hole.

SOCIAL NOTE ABOUT THE CASE : It makes it very hard to use the heart rate sensor. You can get a reading if your fingers are thin like mine, but it's considerably harder than without the case. Using the sensor to check O2 is almost impossible, but doable. I find that to be trickier than heart rate even without the case though. The feature of using the sensor as a shutter button for the front facing camera doesn't work at all for me with this case.

Will definitely be shopping for a new one down the road. Other than that & the mic hole issue, it's a nice case though.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Just cutting the rubber may have worked, but I wanted to be sure. Since I figured the case was catching the sound of my beard & earring rubbing/tapping the screen, I thought it was better safe that sorry, but I imagine it'd have the desired effect if you only cut the rubber.

Also, I didn't quite cut the rubber all the way before testing it & the sound still wasn't good. That could've been caused by the small bit of rubber that I left between the original hole & my new one.

I put a board on the counter, hanging over the edge and put the bumper on it with the part that faces the phone touching the board, so I was drilling from the outside. I used a nail file to take the burs off the "inside" & the drill bit to clean them out of the hole.

SOCIAL NOTE ABOUT THE CASE : It makes it very hard to use the heart rate sensor. You can get a reading if your fingers are thin like mine, but it's considerably harder than without the case. Using the sensor to check O2 is almost impossible, but doable. I find that to be trickier than heart rate even without the case though. The feature of using the sensor as a shutter button for the front facing camera doesn't work at all for me with this case.

Will definitely be shopping for a new one down the road. Other than that & the mic hole issue, it's a nice case though.

Sent from my Note 4
Did your case come with a Instruction on how to use the heart monitor? When you follow the instructions that came with it and it still does not work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Did your case come with a Instruction on how to use the heart monitor? When you follow the instructions that came with it and it still does not work.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
4a2b902730e5fe156e2743b596308ca8.jpg

Yes, but you can't just rest your finger on the sensor. If you rest it over the hole in the case, you're not touching the sensor. You have to kinda poke your finger in there.

Like I said, I got the sensing to work, but can't get the camera shutter to work. Not the biggest deal in the world because "tap to take picture" works if you have both hands free for a selfie. I don't take a ton of them, but sometimes I'm the best photographer to capture my escapades. Voice control also works without much background noise.

I have a bit of hypertension, so I definitely like being able to get a quick idea of my pulse, which, like I said, I can do, but not as easily.

My friend has a case on his s5 that has more of a dimple below the sensor that makes it a lot easier to use.

Sent from my Note 4