Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So when you say front cover do you mean Clear front cover like Otterbox screen protector or do you mean like a leather front cover? Can it be used with out the fron cover?
Might've been leather. Probably fake leather. It has been used without the cover since I cut it off. It was a flap that folds over. Similar to the s view, but without the window in it. Girlfriend got the same case for her s3 & cut the flap off too, though she lasted longer than I did.

I don't do screen protectors either though. Gorilla Glass is awesome & I'm pretty gentle on phones for the most part. Always goes in my front left pocket by itself with the screen against my leg.

I might let the otterbox plastic cover slide if I could stand the thickness of their cases, but I like my screen naked. Clearest picture. Why cover it with something that'll get smudged & scratched & look like crap when we know Gorilla glass can at least stand up to keys? But I realize others are a lot tougher on their phones than I am.

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I only went with a case for the note because I figured it'd be my luck that the black paint would scratch off the metal frame the first time I dropped it on pavement/etc. It was nice using it without. Though I'm still on the lookout for a case with better heart rate sensor access later.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I only went with a case for the note because I figured it'd be my luck that the black paint would scratch off the metal frame the first time I dropped it on pavement/etc. It was nice using it without. Though I'm still on the lookout for a case with better heart rate sensor access later.

Sent from my Note 4
Wow. I do not like that leather cover. I only like the Spigen , Verus, and Caseology cases. The ones that keep the Thin look.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
vu-solo-vu-drive.png

TYLT 8226 VU 8226 Wireless Charger
WANT!!!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
BTW - regarding the spigen neo hybrid case, I fixed the heart rate sensor issue on mine.

2ca3aa542dee7c9041c68315aa12bf7f.jpg

Not the most beautiful thing in the world (cutting tpu sucks) & I wish the part below the sensor had been smaller, but following that outline was the cleanest way I could figure to get the result I wanted.

Originally, I only cut out the part below the camera. That made the heart rate sensor much easier to use, but it looked even more ridiculous than it does now.

At least I can play with all of the features of my phone without hassle & without having to shell out another $20 or so on a new case after having just bought this one.

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: cr6
OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
BTW - regarding the spigen neo hybrid case, I fixed the heart rate sensor issue on mine.

2ca3aa542dee7c9041c68315aa12bf7f.jpg

Not the most beautiful thing in the world (cutting tpu sucks) & I wish the part below the sensor had been smaller, but following that outline was the cleanest way I could figure to get the result I wanted.

Originally, I only cut out the part below the camera. That made the heart rate sensor much easier to use, but it looked even more ridiculous than it does now.

At least I can play with all of the features of my phone without hassle & without having to shell out another $20 or so on a new case after having just bought this one.

Sent from my Note 4
I got in touch with Spigen and Amazon. I am working with Customer service. I will get back my full refund and be able to keep the case. Because it does not work with the Verizon phone. see if you can do the same thing.

uploadfromtaptalk1414356391447.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I got in touch with Spigen and Amazon. I am working with Customer service. I will get back my full refund and be able to keep the case. Because it does not work with the Verizon phone. see if you can do the same thing.

View attachment 73306
Worth a shot. Knowing my luck, they'll tell me I have to send it back in mint condition after I cut & drilled it though.

I DID mention in the nice long email that I sent them that the case is practically unusable without modification & brought up my issues with it blocking use of the hrm as well as muffling phone calls.

Guess we'll see how they treat a loyal prime customer. I know I'm not their biggest customer by any stretch, but they seem to have good service...

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

View attachment 73306
I emailed amazon as stated above & received this e mail in return. Guess we'll see where this takes me, but, truth be told, knowing what a pain it is to use the hrm with this case, I'm not sure I want a replacement of they offer me one. & I'm a little nervous they'll want this one back before going good on their mistake.

e7785b47d5791b79c8fb9eeac2162787.jpg

UPDATE: Think I'm SOL. Just got a return authorization. Do I try my luck at returning my modified case, give up, or try to persuade amazon to see things my way & help me out?

Sent from my Note 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm waiting for a matte tpu from Diztronic to be released. They said they were planning to have one out by the end of October, but I haven't heard any news about it in a while.

I'm using an inexpensive case I picked up on Amazon in the meantime. Kind of a Diztronic knockoff. It doesn't have the greatest fit, it didn't take the Verizon mic placement into account, and the cutouts are poorly done, but it's protecting the phone enough for now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm waiting for a matte tpu from Diztronic to be released. They said they were planning to have one out by the end of October, but I haven't heard any news about it in a while.

I'm using an inexpensive case I picked up on Amazon in the meantime. Kind of a Diztronic knockoff. It doesn't have the greatest fit, it didn't take the Verizon mic placement into account, and the cutouts are poorly done, but it's protecting the phone enough for now.
No word back from spigen whether they'll take the case that I modified to work properly back. I'm assuming they read my email & then laughed hysterically as they deleted it.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
I ended up fixing both. After I got the rubber (did a crappy job), I put it on & she said it was a little better, but still did it. So, I got out the drill & was a bit more cautious. After that, she said it wasn't quite like no case at all, but a LOT better. Didn't make noise with every little movement I made or sound like I was in a tunnel.

b4f526b0d58e25a9b8029f2c5aaf9387.jpg

Word to the wise, at least on my red bumper, the plastic is actually white. Make sure you've got some nail polish around. My girlfriend had a good shade with a fine applicator for fancy designs (she went to beauty school). You'll see the white below. I chose to only paint what would show. I also touched up a couple chips in the inside. Might not bode well for the longevity of the case though.

6e74ae081d4aad3db9448edc1272fb30.jpg

Here's the botched rubber cut. I used a leather punch & then scissors to get the clingy bits.

6f88d2c43f39c273e2e3bf7360ddd9ff.jpg

Though I didn't quite get the hole even with the others, I don't think the finished product looks bad. I over compensated on the plastic because my holes were originally a bit too far the other way on the rubber, so I bored it out a little with the drill bit. I figure at least this way, the rubber isn't smooshed between the phone & the bumper.

In hindsight, cutting the rubber from their hole location to where it should be probably would've had the same effect as the tunnel shown in preach's previous post, but this way, I know the hole has more direct access to the mic.

c49db8aaccdd79a0daea86b34685d3c9.jpg

Sent from my Note 4
I wish that you did not drill the bumper. It works fine it you make the TPU mic hole bigger.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It'll be ok. My cruzerlite case is in the mail & I'm sure I'll pick up another down the road if I don't decide to rock it naked after having it for a while.

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just ordered this guy in black. Simple tpu case.

I verified that it would work for the vzw model & the rep said that they redesigned it so that it would.

They'll be at the fulfilment facility & available for preorder.

Bugdroid Circuit for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Galaxy Note 4 - Samsung - Cases

Sent from my Note 4
Came home for lunch & this case was waiting for me.

Cost me $13.89 including shipping directly from cruzerlite.

Initial impressions - fit is great. It's snug on the phone & slimmer than the spigen neo hybrid.

The sides are a bit slippery, which is funny to me after taking off the smooth plastic bumper of the spigen, but I suppose the textured back on the spigen adds to that effect.

The back is understandably more slippery than the spigen, but only slightly more than the back of the phone itself.

Definitely better than cases I've had for other phones at the same price point, but I'm not sure if it'll permanently replace the spigen until I find one that I REALLY love. I am enjoying the slimmer profile though.

No tpu over the buttons. It's slightly indented & has holes cut out around the volume rocker & power. The case is just about flush with the top of each, but they're both easy to push on the fly from the little I've tried since putting the case on.

Heart rate monitor is easily accessible & gave me a reading right away without having to adjust.
2c742a9181144fd5940d2af053907200.jpg

Their fix for the mic placement is simple, but didn't strike me as looking weird once on the phone.
0732e9d9e3db3ef1ff10f68613b707a2.jpg

Not a bad first effort from cruzerlite & not a bad idea if you just want some slim, basic protection with a fun design on the back to rock your Android pride.

Sent from my Note 4