G-Talk won't stay logged in?

reedux

Reaction score
anyone else having this problem? I use google talk alot, it pretty much replaced my texting, so it's a pretty big deal for me. This is a rather new occurrence as the first week went by smoothly. Today I can't even stay logged in for 5 minutes without having gtalk restart. any ideas?

OP
R

reedux

Reaction score
bump?

i searched around the net. I am definitely not the only one with this problem, but i don't see any remedies as of yet.

mlitty

Reaction score
Not just you.

I'm having the same problem. My wife and I have been using G-talk constantly, but lately I'm missing her talks because my gtalk is logging out. I know this because, like you, it has to log me back in whenever I start it. It's useless if it keeps logging off.

Here are some sites that have tips and hints about things that may or may not be causing this for you...
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/233743-google-talk-going-idle.html

bump?

i searched around the net. I am definitely not the only one with this problem, but i don't see any remedies as of yet.

Last edited:

mlitty

Reaction score
Solved for me, Found it!

There is a setting that switches the data connection off after a certain period of not being used. I had set it a while ago to extend my battery life, which it did, but killing the data connection, also disconnects google Talk. I had it set to time out after 30 minutes during peak hours, so every 30 minutes my Google Talk would disconnect.

Here's how to find it.
From the home screen,
Press Menu, Select Settings
Select Battery & Data Manager
Select Battery Mode

Here there are three presets and a custom option.
Maximum battery saver : times out the data connection after 15 minutes of inactivity any time of the day.
Nighttime Saver : allows for normal sync of data (data always on) during daytime, and times out after 15 minutes of inactivity at night (10pm-5am)
Performance Mode: Sync never times out, data always on

Then there's a custom setting that allows you to fine tune when the daytime/night time hours and how and when the data times out.
If you need Gtalk 24/7, you'll need to use the "Performance Mode" but be prepared for a hit to your battery life.
If you only need GTalk during certain hours, use the custom mode and make sure that during "Peak hours" the "Turn data off after" is set to "Never". You'll still take a hit to battery, but you'll be connected when you need it and the data will shut down at night when you don't.

Don't want to go custom, just choose "Nighttime Saver"

#GoogleTalk #android #power #data #connection #signin

Last edited: