Gmail won't push, signal bars gray

Yookdew

Reaction score
This problem is with a Droid Razr Maxx.

I noticed this problem when I woke up Saturday morning. The cell signal bars on my phone are gray instead of blue which indicates that the phone is not connected to google services. Gmail does not push but when I enter the gmail app I can update manually. Twitter also stopped giving me push notifications but will manually update when I open the app. If I turn on wifi, the wifi signal bars turn blue and gmail and twitter push notifications work like they should.

Since this problem started I have rebooted the phone numerous times but it didn't help. I did a factory reset and when logging back in my gmail accounts I got blue cell bars for a few minutes but then they went gray and gave me the same issues. I also went to Verizon today and got a new SIM card to see if it would help but I still have the same problem.

One other thing I tried was to erase app cache and data for the gmail app and google services app but it still won't work.

Cellular data is turned on and the apps are set to update in the background. It's strange because it works fine on wifi but not on cellular data.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

I would remove the Gmail App, restart the phone and install Gmail again.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had a similar situation on my Droid Maxx yesterday. GMail would only sync manually. After several hours of clearing caches, app caches, clearing app data, rebooting, etc. I narrows it down to the recent You Tube app update. As soon as I uninstalled updates for the You Tube app and rebooted my phone, all G Mail started syncing again and my calendar and Tapatalk. I also noticed that You Tube was the #1 app on my Data Usage list and I rarely ever open the You Tube app....but updated it recently. That's what fixed it for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Y

Yookdew

Reaction score
I tried removing gmail updates, restarting, but It didn't make a difference.

I just did another factory reset but this time I did not store any of the data, settings, etc to my gmail account.

Restarted the phone after factory reset, entered my gmail address, and the signal bars turned blue for a few minutes. Now they have gone gray again. I have not updated or added any apps. Im at a loss.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Two more thoughts.
Toggle Airplane Mode off thand on. If that doesn't work..
go into SETTINGS
go into DATA USAGE
turn MOBILE DATA to ON

I should have asked if this is happening at home or everywhere?

OP
Y

Yookdew

Reaction score
Just checked the settings again and they are correct. Toggled airplane mode with no change.

After the last factory reset the bars turned blue and it seemed to be working. As I updated gmail and YouTube, the phone gave me a message that it needed to update google play services. Almost immediately after I updated play services, the bars turned gray. I checked what the new version of play services was and started googling on my tablet to see if there were any known issues. During this time, I noticed the bars turn blue for about a minute, I got a notification that I had a new gmail, then the bars turned gray again. I removed the play services update but the bars continued to stay gray.

I'm thinking this may be an issue with the latest google play services update. Does anyone know where I could find the last google play services before this last update that I could manually load and try?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just for grins....have you tried Clear Data and Uninstall Updates for You Tube & then re-boot?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Y

Yookdew

Reaction score
I hadn't updated YouTube but I went ahead and cleared data then disabled the YouTube app. Still no change.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear that didn't work either. You might be on to something with the Play Service idea. Seems like something is freezing up your G Mail account / user name / access to Google servers. Hopefully someone will have an idea that will help get your e-mail working correctly again.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Have you made sure your sync is selected in your gmail app settings? In your phones settings, in mobile data, see if "restrict background data" somehow got selected.. Also check and see if your auto sync got turned off in your accounts..

Edit: do you have your smart actions set to kill your background data or sync??