Full Verizon CES 2011 Press Release Recap

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yo tank what phone do you have your eyes set on

I seek to replace my D1 with a Thunderbolt. Seems like a wonderful device.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Ditto sir!! I'm happy with the specs on in. Ready to ditch the ifail once and for all!! I can't wait to root it, and pimp it out.

I will be right beside you! I am def going to have some fun with this device. Maybe put out my own rom? Aosp? Sense? Or maybe a theme? I don't really know but I think it will be nice to do something in a new environment. I wasn't into this sorta thing at first, and the market for the d1 filled up quick, so I felt I had nothing to offer. I feel totally different now though and want to contribute something good to a new community :D

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jmart922

Reaction score
Probably going to sign up for a 1 year, since I'm currently paying month to month at the moment

toddabuilder

Reaction score
Jroc at first when I heard that the The Bionic did not have 1G of Ram, I was upset until I looked into some more. I really do want this phone!!! I was lokking at the Atrix. But I could not see my self going back to AT&T ever.. The Service here is just Horrible...

Preach, you said you looked into it.......... what did you find? I thought the hold up was the 512 of ram. What changed your mind?

P.S. You were absolutely right, always had been right about the HD/Mecha/Tunderboat. I was always caught up in wishful thinking. Props to you, Moto came out on top. Live and learn.:)

tjoney

Reaction score
Well considering there are hundreds of thousands of VZW customers who have contracts that don't end anytime soon. Myself included I think these phones look nice for network that is new. And the second gen phones that will be out in dec of 2011 will be hands down amazing. And what the hell do you do with your PHONE that requires it to be built like a 67 fastback with 500hp. If your taxing your phone so much that you require a tegra 2 and more than 512 mbs of ram. You should think long and hard about getting a tablet.

To clarify I don't see a need for dual core phones atm. Dual core tablets yes, but phones no. There are no apps now that can take advantage of 2 cores and when there are they will need more RAM.

I am (almost) perfectly happy with my DINC (soon to be Droid X).

Having a dual core processor on a phone right now is, to me, just a gimmick. It offers no clear cut advantages over a single core. All I was saying was that dual cores need more RAM to take full advantage of the processing power, because apps built for them WILL be more RAM intesive.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Jroc at first when I heard that the The Bionic did not have 1G of Ram, I was upset until I looked into some more. I really do want this phone!!! I was lokking at the Atrix. But I could not see my self going back to AT&T ever.. The Service here is just Horrible...

Preach, you said you looked into it.......... what did you find? I thought the hold up was the 512 of ram. What changed your mind?

P.S. You were absolutely right, always had been right about the HD/Mecha/Tunderboat. I was always caught up in wishful thinking. Props to you, Moto came out on top. Live and learn.:)

Well what I've been reading on blogs that the Atrix Needs 1G of Ram because of the Use with the Desktop and with the Laptop. Basically They are the Same phone but the Bionic has 4.3" Screen 512 Ram. Atrix have 4" Screen AT&T that stinks where I live.... I have big hands so I like the Bigger Screen and again I do not care if it is Blur or not. I will use Launcher Pro Plus and Maybe Beautiful Widgets. Don't get me wrong If the Aztec was on Verizon I will jump on it so fast. But I will be happy with the Bionic!!!:icon_ banana:

Appleanche

Reaction score
Well considering there are hundreds of thousands of VZW customers who have contracts that don't end anytime soon. Myself included I think these phones look nice for network that is new. And the second gen phones that will be out in dec of 2011 will be hands down amazing. And what the hell do you do with your PHONE that requires it to be built like a 67 fastback with 500hp. If your taxing your phone so much that you require a tegra 2 and more than 512 mbs of ram. You should think long and hard about getting a tablet.

Have you seen the Atrix? It's quite amazing, and I truly think it's a glimpse at the future of smartphone technology. AT&T has it, Verizon is stuck with the stripped down version.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have been a VZW user since before they merged and in my areas it was called Air Touch Cellular. Car phone mounted in the middle of the car.. that's right, old school. My point is, they have been around for a long time (I guess, I'm only 33) and know how to get the job done. I have tried AT&T (not iphone, im a hater) and I have tried Cingular (when they existed) and I have tried TMobile andalso Sprint. At least in my areas, VZW can't be touched. I have a Sprint phone for work and when I am at home, I have to go outside on the porch to talk while my VZW phone has 3 bars. It's cold in Ohio daggonit!
VZW will do what they do, they are not a bleeding edge technology type of caompany, they let everyone else deal with the headaches and when they are resolved, they jump in. That's perfect fr me because I hate technical difficulties.

I'm not sure I even had a point to all of this but I guess I was just saying give Big Red some time, they will do what they do and in the end, we will all be laughing at the other carriers phone lineup.

bilallucky

Reaction score
CES 2011 is information overload is quite the understatement. This is the busiest, most jam-packed time of the year for electronics. With mobile phones and tablets dominated the floor space, we thought it might be nice to do a daily recap on the devices, listed by carrier announced so far.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the Atrix? It's quite amazing, and I truly think it's a glimpse at the future of smartphone technology. AT&T has it, Verizon is stuck with the stripped down version.

I was high on that horse too, but the Bionic is actually an outstanding device.

Just saying, with 1 gig ram and dual-core 1ghz, it's still underpowered for anything more than browsing. As was pointed out, it needs the extra ram for the docking station, so does that cut the ram in half for that web browsing? And without wireless tethering, it can't replace wifi or a data card on a laptop.

Love the Atrix and it's a leap forward, but I suspect the phone I really want is the one AFTER the Atrix. I'd have that and enjoy the novelty for a bit, but very quickly I'd be wanting something more powerful truly capable of replacing a netbook or low-range desktop (i.e. everything but video editing and resource intensive aplications like spreadsheets and powerpoint).

For that matter, the Thunderbolt is actually an excellent device as well. It's not the "latest tech", but there's also nothing out there really to take advantage yet. And if you're not a gamer, I'm not sure you need dual core at this point. Sure, it was overhyped but that thing still flies on LTE with the new snapdragon.

But what has been illustrated is the bar was generally set too low - dual core was indeed possible, and 1gig ram was indeed possible. Not giving us this really has more to do with a continued practice of marginal upgrades rather than not giving us what we want simply because it's not necessary at this point.

The reality is the power-hungry user here wants cutting edge, but from a business perspective there's only so much of that market to go around. Just like the value conscious mass market steers away from more expensive high-end laptops/PC's, it probably wasn't reasonable to expect a slew of cutting-edge phones that would HAVE to be priced higher to drive the same profit margins.

Personally, there is nothing wrong with my rooted OG Droid. I don't need to upgrade after only a year and hadn't planned on it, but I became excited by the potential and possibilities. LTE was driving a big part of that but "underwhelming" devices has really changed the dynamic for me and tempered my enthusiasm.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Having a dual core processor on a phone right now is, to me, just a gimmick. It offers no clear cut advantages over a single core. All I was saying was that dual cores need more RAM to take full advantage of the processing power, because apps built for them WILL be more RAM intesive.

Spot on. The Thunderbolt is actually a great device, but everyone harboring fantasies (myself included) of laptop replacements and PS3 replacements is disappointed. The reality is the Atrix is a step in that direction but not there. Half it's 1gig ram is supposedly dedicated to docking, if that's the case you really are looking at 2gigs needed because before long we will need 1gig dedicated ram just for apps and basic OS.

I have the OG Droid and an overloaded Sweeterhome theme. Nothing destroys the appeal more than one that becomes sluggish because it can't quite do everything you want it to. People were ready to pony-up for a phone that could last 2-3 years or more, and the power user knows what's been unveiled has a 1-yr shelf life at best.

tjoney

Reaction score

I was high on that horse too, but the Bionic is actually an outstanding device.

Just saying, with 1 gig ram and dual-core 1ghz, it's still underpowered for anything more than browsing. As was pointed out, it needs the extra ram for the docking station, so does that cut the ram in half for that web browsing? And without wireless tethering, it can't replace wifi or a data card on a laptop.

Love the Atrix and it's a leap forward, but I suspect the phone I really want is the one AFTER the Atrix. I'd have that and enjoy the novelty for a bit, but very quickly I'd be wanting something more powerful truly capable of replacing a netbook or low-range desktop (i.e. everything but video editing and resource intensive aplications like spreadsheets and powerpoint).

For that matter, the Thunderbolt is actually an excellent device as well. It's not the "latest tech", but there's also nothing out there really to take advantage yet. And if you're not a gamer, I'm not sure you need dual core at this point. Sure, it was overhyped but that thing still flies on LTE with the new snapdragon.

But what has been illustrated is the bar was generally set too low - dual core was indeed possible, and 1gig ram was indeed possible. Not giving us this really has more to do with a continued practice of marginal upgrades rather than not giving us what we want simply because it's not necessary at this point.

The reality is the power-hungry user here wants cutting edge, but from a business perspective there's only so much of that market to go around. Just like the value conscious mass market steers away from more expensive high-end laptops/PC's, it probably wasn't reasonable to expect a slew of cutting-edge phones that would HAVE to be priced higher to drive the same profit margins.

Personally, there is nothing wrong with my rooted OG Droid. I don't need to upgrade after only a year and hadn't planned on it, but I became excited by the potential and possibilities. LTE was driving a big part of that but "underwhelming" devices has really changed the dynamic for me and tempered my enthusiasm.

I am right there with you on the "underwhelming" devices and tempered enthusiasm.

I may go with the Thunderbolt when Verizon, hopefully, announces an unlimited 4g data plan.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thunderbolt has MORE Ram then the Bionic, 768 vs 512, personally more RAM is just as important plus with the 32gb micro SD card included, on a beefed up EV0 I think it's going to be a great phone, still considering it vs LG Optimus 2x, that's if its coming to Verizon

Thunderbolt has 768 ram? I thought it was only 512. If VZW offers me a sweet upgrade, that could be the ticket.

Although, I will say that Optimus 2 video really shows the benefit of the dual core downloading fully rendered webpages. IMO single-core is really going to offer a poor-man's LTE. Especially if VZW is going to charge more or cap LTE, lack of dual core changes the value equation and makes it much less appealing.

Why in the world couldn't the Bionic have had at least 768 ram? I know I'd quickly push the limits on 512 on that, and it'd run great, but it would leave me no room to grow.

tjoney

Reaction score
^^ You are also right on about the dual cores and 1gig of ram not being needed right now.

I see them being needed by the end of the year though.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
^^ You are also right on about the dual cores and 1gig of ram not being needed right now.

I see them being needed by the end of the year though.

Bingo. And the problem is anyone stepping up to these phones is going to be pining for an upgrade by year-end. Problem is, with these not out until Apr/May you'd have to wait another 4-5 months for an annual upgrade.

I'm figuring to sit on the OG Droid until my contract is up in September, at which point I'll switch to 1-yr from 2-yr and get the latest. Although I REALLY want (wanted) LTE. But with 8-10 months left on a 2-yr contract the economics don't work for me to fanagle an upgrade I'll want to replace in 5 months. Just because I can afford to doesn't mean I'm willing to flush money down the toilet like that.

My suspicion is the cell mfrs are holding back tech, only pushing marginal upgrades, because they simply don't want to bring out a phone that people don't need to upgrade for 2-3 years. They will continue to string us along with marginal upgrades so you keep opening the wallet every year.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bottom line: No one here has a problem with a phone that's obsolete in 12 months....STOP offering us phones that are obsolete in 4-5 months. And that's what's on the table here: a bunch of phones that will be sluggish and underpowered by year-end.