Full Verizon CES 2011 Press Release Recap

tjoney

Reaction score
^^ You are also right on about the dual cores and 1gig of ram not being needed right now.

I see them being needed by the end of the year though.

Bingo. And the problem is anyone stepping up to these phones is going to be pining for an upgrade by year-end. Problem is, with these not out until Apr/May you'd have to wait another 4-5 months for an annual upgrade.

I'm figuring to sit on the OG Droid until my contract is up in September, at which point I'll switch to 1-yr from 2-yr and get the latest. Although I REALLY want (wanted) LTE. But with 8-10 months left on a 2-yr contract the economics don't work for me to fanagle an upgrade I'll want to replace in 5 months. Just because I can afford to doesn't mean I'm willing to flush money down the toilet like that.

My suspicion is the cell mfrs are holding back tech, only pushing marginal upgrades, because they simply don't want to bring out a phone that people don't need to upgrade for 2-3 years. They will continue to string us along with marginal upgrades so you keep opening the wallet every year.

Yeah I think I'm gonna return my DINC and pay full price for the X and when the good ones come out later this year upgrade to those.

MrKeith20

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority on this...

Although I am impressed by Verizon's new 4G lineup, I must admit that I am a little disappointed by the absence of a 4G slider (ie.. Sprint's Samsung Epic 4G). I have a rooted OG Droid and I'm addicted to its sliding keypad. Any rumors of such a device on the horizon? Go Big Red! :motdroidhoriz:

piquat

Reaction score
I couldn't have asked for a more tailor made reaction to this!

Nice, but not too nice. Toooo nice gets everybody and their brother to switch and the network gets bogged down, see at&t/iPhone for comparison. Just nice enough, and it's still better than before w/o getting over run.

Saturday... 1 year contract on a DroidX. 4g isn't even in my city yet...

Reaction score
Ok look, VZW doesnt make the phones, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, LG, ETC make em!
Verizon was smart enough to grab the D1 when it was offered to them by Moto, NO OTHER CARRIER COULD HANDLE IT. None of then had or HAVE the coverage for it even now! and guess what? t mobile and sprint and at&t can brag about ONE PHONE, WE can brag about the D1, the DX, the D2, the Dinc, and the coverage and the oh so fun and amazing the VZW reps are when you want a new upgrade.
Verizon loves its customers, it gives them everything they want, MAYBE NOT IMMEDIATELY, geeze....you all expect them to come out with these amazing phones that isnt even their job to make! they SELL THEM, on their NETWORK. They do what they, can and hey? by releasing the Thunderbolt theyve given Sprint a run for their money, and by maybe releasing the iphone they are definitely giving AT&T a run for theirs too! We have phones that can do as much as COMPUTERS people, be thankful for that, instead of complaining about Dual Core, hell, im going for the Thunderbolt, because guess what? My D1 can load this page in 5 seconds, thats already good enough for me as it is but to have a 1Ghz phone with a front facing camera, LOUDER SPEAKERS? (btw i didnt know it got louder than the D1) and giving me a nice kickstand to plop it all down on? is only the more amazing part about it.
It all comes down to this:
Verizons got the best phones and coverage
SPECS ARE DEFINTELY NOT EVERYTHING
Pick the phone for you! not just the newest most spec-wealthy one
AND
We are all on the same side here my compatriots, we have are Droids and love em' too so let THAT run through our threads and posts instead of what we COULD have, lol
Much love to all of you, shout out to Furbearingmammal for helping me root my first time, to cereal killer, for making the "mecha" sound as amazing as its gunna be, and MOST OF ALL, Thankyou Miami, you are the dealer who supplys us DF members with your drug of constant updates and upcoming Droid Info:) may we forever be addicted!!!:greendroid:

supremekizzle

Reaction score
Although I am impressed by Verizon's new 4G lineup, I must admit that I am a little disappointed by the absence of a 4G slider (ie.. Sprint's Samsung Epic 4G). I have a rooted OG Droid and I'm addicted to its sliding keypad. Any rumors of such a device on the horizon? Go Big Red! :motdroidhoriz:

+1 I was waiting to see if there was a slider too. What ever happened to the (Olympus?) That was suppose to be a dual core slider? I like playing games with the game gripper, and I need a keyboard for that.

kameleongt

Reaction score
Maybe verizon and art swapped best motor phone 4g capable in return for early iphone 4 on verizon... who knows I move from phone to phone to often to wait between upgrades ill stick with my DX until the bionic ill take verizons better service in my area to the lousy art I've dealt with in previous years.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

solar

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but i'm super bummed NON of these phones have a physical Keyboard..... :motdroidhoriz:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but i'm super bummed NON of these phones have a physical Keyboard..... :motdroidhoriz:

I can see that. That light will go on for some mfr at some point. But I think when you look at tablets, and consider Swype and other stuff, the keyboard is becoming a dinosaur.

Now there's an idea! A case that incorporates a bluetooth keyboard. You wouldn't even know the difference!

MrKeith20

Reaction score

I can see that. That light will go on for some mfr at some point. But I think when you look at tablets, and consider Swype and other stuff, the keyboard is becoming a dinosaur.

Now there's an idea! A case that incorporates a bluetooth keyboard. You wouldn't even know the difference!

Thankfully a few have not written off physical keyboards into obsolescence just yet. T-Mobile has the G2 by HTC which has a physical keyboard for their 4G network. Sprint has the Samsung Epic 4G (now) and the HTC EVO Shift 4G (coming Jan 9th), both with physical keyboards. I hope something similar will find its way to Verizon's 4G LTE lineup this year because that, "dinosaur", keyboard has been EXTREMELY convenient for me on my OG Droid. It remains just as huge of a selling point for me as it was in Nov 2009 when I went from the Samsung Omnia to the OG Droid 1. However, Verizon's service is far superior in my area (Chicago, Illinois) for me to consider leaving Big Red for another carrier. So I'll hold onto my OG for now, and hope Motorola makes a DROID BIONIC "Shift" this year for Verizon! ;)

Dugall12

Reaction score
Wow, Verizon has officially fallen behind just about every other carrier.

They are basically releasing an EVO more then half a year later. The Bionic is a stripped down version of the Atrix, and the other phones are either small upgrades or terrible.

Agreed. I'm disappointed, why would I get the Bionic when its the poor cousin of the Atrix? I'm pissed Verizon didn't get that phone.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea.. a slider. I dont want one anymore but I would get one again if it called out to me. Sliders are not obsolete. I miss it on my X for emulators. Playing Tecmo Bowl with touch only controls? An exercise in frustration...

Verizon was smart enough to grab the D1 when it was offered to them by Moto, NO OTHER CARRIER COULD HANDLE IT. None of then had or HAVE the coverage for it even now! and guess what? t mobile and sprint and at&t can brag about ONE PHONE, WE can brag about the D1, the DX, the D2, the Dinc, and the coverage and the oh so fun and amazing the VZW reps are when you want a new upgrade.
Verizon loves its customers, it gives them everything they want, MAYBE NOT IMMEDIATELY, geeze....you all expect them to come out with these amazing phones that isnt even their job to make! they SELL THEM, on their NETWORK. They do what they, can and hey? by releasing the Thunderbolt theyve given Sprint a run for their money, and by maybe releasing the iphone they are definitely giving AT&T a run for theirs too! We have phones that can do as much as COMPUTERS people, be thankful for that, instead of complaining about Dual Core, hell, im going for the Thunderbolt, because guess what? My D1 can load this page in 5 seconds, thats already good enough for me as it is but to have a 1Ghz phone with a front facing camera, LOUDER SPEAKERS? (btw i didnt know it got louder than the D1) and giving me a nice kickstand to plop it all down on? is only the more amazing part about it.
AND
We are all on the same side here my compatriots, we have are Droids and love em' too so let THAT run through our threads and posts instead of what we COULD have, lol
Much love to all of you, shout out to Furbearingmammal for helping me root my first time, to cereal killer, for making the "mecha" sound as amazing as its gunna be, and MOST OF ALL, Thankyou Miami, you are the dealer who supplys us DF members with your drug of constant updates and upcoming Droid Info:) may we forever be addicted!!!:greendroid:

Great post....

And reading one hands on with the Thunderbolt using LTE in a hotel they were in....I want LTE. I still need to see how LTE will do in places where Verizon has bad coverage, like where I live n work.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
AND

Thank You!!!! Very well said!!! You just put it in perspective!!!

Rhino413

Reaction score
From what's being posted by the tech reviews at ces the thunderbolt has 700+ RAM and a 1ghz snapdragon but the ram is ddr and the atrix has 1ghz ddr as well but the bionic is running 512 ddr2 that makes a huge difference as ddr2 is faster a lot faster plus the atrix is set to run a laptop and I think most of its resourses are locked down by the dock app.

loki993

Reaction score
Why should we have to wait so long for a 4G phone? How can you have a brand new network and no phones to put on it?

Because it's not just phones on Verizons network? It was just released less than 30 days ago man, take a chill pill. Verizon already has usb modems that connect to 4G LTE.

I agree with him though. It wasnt like this was some suprise. They have known they were launching the new network. They should have had at least one phone ready at or near launch. Not making us wait until q2 whould could be as late as june or july.
EXACTLY! They have been building the network for 3 yrs. As I'm always praising Verizon's Customer Service I was very surprised with the delay of ANY 4G Phones

I mean for crying out loud T-mobile managed to have a phone out for their 4g launch. Verizon got beat by T-Mobile!!!

See what I mean

thorton02

Reaction score
From what's being posted by the tech reviews at ces the thunderbolt has 700+ RAM and a 1ghz snapdragon but the ram is ddr and the atrix has 1ghz ddr as well but the bionic is running 512 ddr2 that makes a huge difference as ddr2 is faster a lot faster plus the atrix is set to run a laptop and I think most of its resourses are locked down by the dock app.

Agree about the RAM. DDR2 will make a huge difference imo.