"Froyo" no longer needs task killers.

zypherius01

Reaction score
From what I have been reading from a lot of post on forums, I came to understand that "Froyo" has a built in task killer. so using a task killer only makes the problem worse.The problem I was having was I would task kill and 1 second later 17 more apps were open. I thought it was cause stupid carrier preloaded Skype and all these services that have to constantly run and when I task killed they would restart sucking juice from the battery. I uninstalled my "advance task killer" and tried like a few people have done and let the new software do its job. I have noticed a LARGE improvement.Also I have started using the back button, rather then just tapping home, to get out of apps as that's now how "Froyo" kills the apps. Also i have noticed, on the Easter egg of holding down the home key, that there is a utility called Rosie utility. I am not certain for 100% but I think that might be the "Froyo" Task kill.

Hope this help anyone out there that factory reset twice cause I didn't want to read

Pickle!

RnD_Solo

Reaction score
...would you like to see my list of apps that are running?

even 7 hours after i exited out?

lol

toddrocks

Reaction score
verizon sucks...

I just got the OTA of android 2.2 and im crying... Verizon is making us pay extra for the hot spot and tether option. dang it... greedy verizon.

chartle

Reaction score
Also i have noticed, on the Easter egg of holding down the home key, that there is a utility called Rosie utility. I am not certain for 100% but I think that might be the "Froyo" Task kill.

what is this Easter Egg?

When I hold down the home key I get the Recent Apps list, like before Froyo, and I see nothing called the Rosie utility.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Not sure why anyone would be upset about a hotspot tether option that cost money. There wasn't an official free version in previous versions. Our phones come with unlimited data plans. If you expect to take your home computer and tether it for free with no extra charge and kill off your internet bill....that ain't gonna happen. Verizon isn't going to put The cable ISP's out of business at no expense to us. The dataplan we signed up for is for our phone.

windstrings

Reaction score
yes, that was an enlightening thread.... seems quite frustrating we are forced to allow preinstalled apps to persist in opening themselves or staying open while monitoring and tying us resources and in many case we may "never" subscribe or use those apps.

Based on the video, maybe I"m still misunderstanding.... maybe because I see these unwanted apps reinitialize after a reboot or after killing them with a task manager maybe I'm also falsely assuming they don't finally fade into be background by the android system not to bother us anymore unless we actually click on it.

If the android system truly puts these programs on the far back burner "like friends etc I never intend to use" only tying up memory and no other resources then I suppose the damage is not too bad.

Its true some vendors are unscrupulous about getting in bed with google to get their apps added to the android system without the users ability to uninstall....

Is our option only to put up with them? j Just keep rekilling them at the expense of restarting energies lost, or does the android system truly manage them in a satisfactory way if we just let it run?

mauiblue

Reaction score
Also i have noticed, on the Easter egg of holding down the home key, that there is a utility called Rosie utility. I am not certain for 100% but I think that might be the "Froyo" Task kill.

what is this Easter Egg?

When I hold down the home key I get the Recent Apps list, like before Froyo, and I see nothing called the Rosie utility.

I was wondering too what is this "rosie" utility?

Humpa

Reaction score
Is our option only to put up with them? j Just keep rekilling them at the expense of restarting energies lost, or does the android system truly manage them in a satisfactory way if we just let it run?
Without rooting, yeah we pretty much have to put up with them.

But considering their insignificant existence and their probably-not-measurable effect on performance, resources, and battery life, as a community we've spent countless man hours debating, worrying, and trying to get rid of these few irrelevant items.

Just do like I do and ignore them. I'm sure we all have better things to do anyway.

Though the good thing about all the talk about bloatware and the fact that ATK (Adv Task Killer) is currently installed on over 31% of ALL android devices, is that hopefully they won't just keep piling on more and more in the future.

mikeymop

Reaction score

what is this Easter Egg?

I was wondering too what is this "rosie" utility?

Rosie is the HTC Sense launcher and supporting applications.

tiffanyarmani

Reaction score
Without rooting, yeah we pretty much have to put up with them.

But considering their insignificant existence and their probably-not-measurable effect on performance, resources, and battery life, as a community we've spent countless man hours debating, worrying, and trying to get rid of these few irrelevant items.

Just do like I do and ignore them. I'm sure we all have better things to do anyway.

Though the good thing about all the talk about bloatware and the fact that ATK (Adv Task Killer) is currently installed on over 31% of ALL android devices, is that hopefully they won't just keep piling on more and more in the future.

Ignoring them is not a feasible option. My phone is not running at the same speed it was before. The lag and lack of battery life is ridiculous. If the phone were like this before I wouldn't have purchased it.

albrst

Reaction score
Can we not delete them off the phone permanently? I agree, my phone is not as fast as it was.

tiffanyarmani

Reaction score
The apps do not allow uninstall unless you root your phone. Rooting seems complex from my reading of it, it voids your warranty and I'm not sure there is a way to do it with 2.2.