"Froyo" no longer needs task killers.

albrst

Reaction score
The apps do not allow uninstall unless you root your phone. Rooting seems complex from my reading of it, it voids your warranty and I'm not sure there is a way to do it with 2.2.
I have no intention of rooting my phone since I don't have a clue how to do it so I guess I am stuck with these applications. :(

mikeymop

Reaction score
The apps do not allow uninstall unless you root your phone. Rooting seems complex from my reading of it, it voids your warranty and I'm not sure there is a way to do it with 2.2.

Rooting is as easy as plugging the phone in the computer and running a program, it's a joke

tiffanyarmani

Reaction score

Rooting is as easy as plugging the phone in the computer and running a program, it's a joke

Everyone on these forums use so much jargon to make it sound very technical. I've read a lot about it so I think I'm going to try it later on tonight. Worse that can happen is I just take it back to VZ.

mikeymop

Reaction score

Everyone on these forums use so much jargon to make it sound very technical. I've read a lot about it so I think I'm going to try it later on tonight. Worse that can happen is I just take it back to VZ.

It sounds bad because there is the risk you can brick you'r phone, but thats really only if you'r dumb and pull the battery out when it's doing something. NEVER pull the battery.

They have to acknowledge the inherent risk so they aren't liable for you ruining you'r phone. But I rooted in 2 minutes, the longest thing was waiting for hte phone to turn on, I then S-OFF easily and updated the radio and laughed that I was scared. If you'r going to root I recommend this guide:

[GUIDES] Root, nand unlock, radio update, Froyo 2.2 update, Restore stock radio/rom - xda-developers

I used it and it was very helpful

tiffanyarmani

Reaction score

It sounds bad because there is the risk you can brick you'r phone, but thats really only if you'r dumb and pull the battery out when it's doing something. NEVER pull the battery.

They have to acknowledge the inherent risk so they aren't liable for you ruining you'r phone. But I rooted in 2 minutes, the longest thing was waiting for hte phone to turn on, I then S-OFF easily and updated the radio and laughed that I was scared. If you'r going to root I recommend this guide:

[GUIDES] Root, nand unlock, radio update, Froyo 2.2 update, Restore stock radio/rom - xda-developers

Thanks so much! I'll take a stab at it when I get home.

luv2increase

Reaction score
A program called "Autostarts" allows you to disable those pesky apps from restarting automatically after you kill them. You still use ATK to kill them though.

It is a paid app and only for root users. Im been using it along with ATK for a couple weeks now and my phone flys and battery life is great…

Google can say all they want to say. The fact of the matter is in hands-on experience. Your phone really does crawl to a stand still if not regularly using a task killer. If it doesn't for you, you must not have many 3rd party apps installed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Mine hasn't slowed to a stand still and I've never installed an ATK on this phone. The closest I have is the Froyo Task Killer to shut things down on my own if I'm bored and browsing through what is showing in the foreground.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Thanks so much! I'll take a stab at it when I get home.

Rooting really isn't so terrible. It is a little more involved since the 2.2 rollout and isn't quite as easy as it was at 2.1, but well worth the trouble. If you attempt, just be aware of the risk and follow the directions to the "t". As you determine which directions to use, read the follow up information in the threads and see what issues others may have had beforehand. It will give you a good guide as to what to watch for.

I rooted in 2.1 and started loading custom ROM's, (currently on Skyraider 2.5.2, built on an official Froyo ROM) and in all honesty will never go back to unrooted again. Nor will I depend on the Verizon OTA's. The ROM I have installed has no bloatware, the phone flies and has wireless tether without additional charges per month. It really is a win-win situation.

Humpa

Reaction score
Ignoring them is not a feasible option. My phone is not running at the same speed it was before. The lag and lack of battery life is ridiculous. If the phone were like this before I wouldn't have purchased it.
If anyone is having issues after the OTA, then something is wrong. I know everyone always hates to hear it, but I would have done a factory reset already if mine wasn't right after the OTA. And if that didn't fix it, then I'd get it exchanged.
The phone should be better after the OTA, not worse.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Ignoring them is not a feasible option. My phone is not running at the same speed it was before. The lag and lack of battery life is ridiculous. If the phone were like this before I wouldn't have purchased it.
If anyone is having issues after the OTA, then something is wrong. I know everyone always hates to hear it, but I would have done a factory reset already if mine wasn't right after the OTA. And if that didn't fix it, then I'd get it exchanged.

This is actually very good advice. If the factory reset doesn't cure it, something has gone wrong with the programming update and probably not something you can cure yourself (unless rooted). This is what warranties are for. Use them and make sure that your phone is running right. You are paying enough for it, the phone should run exactly as advertised.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OACD is on the rise in these forums : )

Sent from my Droid

tiffanyarmani

Reaction score

This is actually very good advice. If the factory reset doesn't cure it, something has gone wrong with the programming update and probably not something you can cure yourself (unless rooted). This is what warranties are for. Use them and make sure that your phone is running right. You are paying enough for it, the phone should run exactly as advertised.

I went into the Verizon store and was instructed to do a factory reset which I've done. It hasn't helped. I guess I should go back and see what they say before I try to root.

Humpa

Reaction score

I went into the Verizon store and was instructed to do a factory reset which I've done. It hasn't helped. I guess I should go back and see what they say before I try to root.
If your phone is messed up, rooting ain't gonna fix it.